What's new

Lupo stainless?

I was reading through a bunch of this thread yesterday and it inspired me to revisit my Lupo .72 for this morning’s shave. I also have the .95 and previously had the DC to try the OC version. I really want to love this razor, I like the way it looks and reading others’ opinions makes me feel like I’m missing something. I just don’t find it anywhere near as smooth as the GC line and I don’t get as close of results as I do with the .68 OC Game Changer or .68 Timeless razors. What’s the secret?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I was reading through a bunch of this thread yesterday and it inspired me to revisit my Lupo .72 for this morning’s shave. I also have the .95 and previously had the DC to try the OC version. I really want to love this razor, I like the way it looks and reading others’ opinions makes me feel like I’m missing something. I just don’t find it anywhere near as smooth as the GC line and I don’t get as close of results as I do with the .68 OC Game Changer or .68 Timeless razors. What’s the secret?
The secret lies in the subjectivity of one’s preferences, encapsulated in the phrase ‘your mileage may vary.’

The secret lies in the subjectivity of one’s preferences, encapsulated in the phrase ‘your mileage may vary.’

Indeed.
Smoothness seems to be very subjective. The only reason I could consider my GC .84 sb a hair smoother than my .72 Lupo is perhaps the smooth guard and six months of daily shaves on the former. The .95 Lupo for me is perfect, a great blend of blade feel and smoothness.

As for the OC Gamechanger, I admit to not visiting that one in quite a while as I've learned my preference leans towards straight bars. Of course, now to my own mind that sounds ridiculous because the winds of change have driven me to to dark side. Yes, I've gotten hooked on straights, or at least trying to learn the new skillset required. Talk about an open comb.. 😂

It started innocently enough with that Feather SS Artist Club and well... now I have the Feather, 2 straights, strop, stones, etc but due to my strange work schedule, 4 nights on then 4 off it's difficult to get the skills built up.

So for me currently, since I'm so slow, careful and noobish with the SR, I can get 2 shaves in with it on my days off. Then I shave with the Lupo .72 or .95 while I'm working and let my face recover. I can shave everyday with the Lupo and never miss a beat. Not so with the straight... I'm just not that proficient yet but I sure am having fun.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I just don’t find it anywhere near as smooth as the GC line and I don’t get as close of results as I do with the .68 OC Game Changer or .68 Timeless razors. What’s the secret?
From what I have read & your technique you enjoy mild razors like the RR GC .68, If you want to shave with your Lupo's I would stay with the .72 I'm thinking. The Lupo .72 & .95 both have positive blade exposure where the GC.68 is mostly neutral or barely positive and so it will take a little different technique to make it work for you.(ride the cap more I'm thinking)
When I read a razor is smooth from different posts on the Forums it usually indicates a milder razor to accomplish this desired feel most of the time. I have the RR GC .84 and have tested the Blade exposure under a UBS microscope & mechanically and it has less blade exposure than the Lupo .72.
Be careful when comparing gaps of different razor brands because all it takes is a thicker or wider top cap or just a little wider base plate that will change the blade exposure even if the gaps are identical.
I like this razor Parameters photo that @ShavingByTheNumbers put together for us to enjoy & helps me explain what the heck I'm talking about.
Safety_Razor_Parameters_around_Blade_Cutting_Edge (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Last edited:
From what I have read & your technique you enjoy mild razors like the RR GC .68, If you want to shave with your Lupo's I would stay with the .72 I'm thinking. The Lupo .72 & .95 both have positive blade exposure where the GC.68 is mostly neutral or barely positive and so it will take a little different technique to make it work for you.(ride the cap more I'm thinking)
When I read a razor is smooth from different posts on the Forums it usually indicates a milder razor to accomplish this desired feel most of the time. I have the RR GC .84 and have tested the Blade exposure under a UBS microscope & mechanically and it has less blade exposure than the Lupo .72.
Be careful when comparing gaps of different razor brands because all it takes is a thicker or wider top cap or just a little wider base plate that will change the blade exposure even if the gaps are identical.
I like this razor Parameters photo that @ShavingByTheNumbers put together for us to enjoy & helps me explain what the heck I'm talking about.
View attachment 1241860
Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

So oddly enough, between the 2 Lupo blade gaps I prefer the .95 so I’m not sure it’s a “preference for mild razors”. I don’t really consider the .68OC GC to be mild. it’s comfortable And doesn’t bite, but for me is also extremely efficient. I’ve got a pretty coarse beard and sensitive skin, and have to shave daily, so I’m maybe a little more nit picky when it comes to razors and how they perform than most.

Don’t get me wrong, both Lupos get me a great shave, just not to the level of the .68OC GC or Timeless. I haven’t invested the time into trying a bunch of different blades with the Lupos because Astra SPs have been my go-to for years and work well in every razor I’ve tried them in. Might be worth playing around with some others.

Or maybe I should just count my blessings that I have a couple razors already that work extremely well for me. With all the premium hardware I’ve owned over the years and currently have in the den, I just find it almost disappointing that the best match I’ve found so far for my face is a Game Changer. Like I said before, I really want to like the Lupo, maybe just isn’t in the cards for me.

So oddly enough, between the 2 Lupo blade gaps I prefer the .95 so I’m not sure it’s a “preference for mild razors”. I don’t really consider the .68OC GC to be mild. it’s comfortable And doesn’t bite, but for me is also extremely efficient. I’ve got a pretty coarse beard and sensitive skin, and have to shave daily, so I’m maybe a little more nit picky when it comes to razors and how they perform than most.

Don’t get me wrong, both Lupos get me a great shave, just not to the level of the .68OC GC or Timeless. I haven’t invested the time into trying a bunch of different blades with the Lupos because Astra SPs have been my go-to for years and work well in every razor I’ve tried them in. Might be worth playing around with some others.

Or maybe I should just count my blessings that I have a couple razors already that work extremely well for me. With all the premium hardware I’ve owned over the years and currently have in the den, I just find it almost disappointing that the best match I’ve found so far for my face is a Game Changer. Like I said before, I really want to like the Lupo, maybe just isn’t in the cards for me.
I have a GC .84 that I love (often used in combination with a Wunderbar). While I AM on the list for a Lupo .95 with a barberpole handle, I often think to myself, "I certainly can't get a better shave than this".

I have a GC .84 that I love (often used in combination with a Wunderbar). While I AM on the list for a Lupo .95 with a barberpole handle, I often think to myself, "I certainly can't get a better shave than this".
Considering that the Lupo 95 is a
“mule” ,a cross between the GC 0.84-P ( safety/smoothness-wise )and the Wunderbar (efficiency-wise) ,don’t bet on it .In other words :
” Oh yes sir , you certainly can get
a better shave than this .Soon! “

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
HA! You are the reason I pulled the trigger in the first place!
If you have the Wunderbar & The RR GC .84 and when you use the your Lupo.95 I would say the the .95 is a Hybrid of the 2 combined. I also have Wunderbar slant and .84 and very happy with the Lupo.72. All three razors have their strengths but the Lupo.72 or .95 seems to turn my crank and content with it. The only negative is it took 4 years since I started wet shaving for Razorock to crank this great razor out, had lots of enjoyment buying vintage & modern razors and meeting other folks who like wet shaving.

Had myself quite a few razors of the premium class .
Had a 304 ss Timeless fully scalloped 0.95 ,a 303 ss Tatara Masamune OC ,
various Karve brass plates ( D,F oc ,E oc ,G ) .I’ve tried
(for at least a week )
plenty of vintage Gillettes and a ss machined Blackbird,
a Brassbird,a Dart ,one Barbaros ,
Pils and few others which are escaping from my memory,
at the moment.

And one day,just for the fun and
not actually buying the hype ,
a GC 0.84-P showed up at my doorstep.

Bam! All the rest of them sold in less
than three months from the Day of GC
Arrival . Like there’s an odd spell cast
( I wonder ,before or after the machining ? ) and
made my hands unable to pick up any razor,
other than the It’s Majesty ,the GC.

Ha! But kings fall ,
and so the GC was rivalled by
the... GC 0.84-OC !

I was pretty damn sure that this one
was the final razor,the one and only
I was really seeking ( I belong to that
odd group of shavers that buy & sell
one razor after another.Seeking for the
absolute keeper .The Grail!
If such thing really exists . )

But ,but ,but ...

When shavers make plans ,
Razorock laughs !

Et voila !
The new Lupo !

And here I stand ,wondering
Ok,what‘s next ?
Is anything actually missing ,
from the Lupo ?
What would be a further
improvement ?
How on Earth it’s possible ,
a relatively cheap razor
to be made from a “hi-end” steel
like 316L ,to be finely machined
with almost zero tolerances and
shave so heavenly ?

BTW ,a pic from todays ,
almost divine ,
shaving ritual .

• SV Desert Vetiver
• Omega EVO
• Razorock Lupo 95
• Bic Chrome Platinum (3)
• custom serum
• custom asl
• Natura Siberica Yak & Yeti asb

Last edited:
BTW ,a pic from todays ,
almost divine ,
shaving ritual .

Did you abandon your DYI "bamboo Pencil" handle?
Thought you were convinced the Lupo likes a light handle best...

Been considering ordering the Razorock Titanium Halo handle, precisely for the weight,
but am hesitant due to it's length (100mm, ~4"). Wish it were 85mm-90mm (similar to the LDC Halo) and I'd be sold...

Did you abandon your DYI "bamboo Pencil" handle?
Thought you were convinced the Lupo likes a light handle best...

Been considering ordering the Razorock Titanium Halo handle, precisely for the weight,
but am hesitant due to it's length (100mm, ~4"). Wish it were 85mm-90mm (similar to the LDC Halo) and I'd be sold...

If you don't mind waiting a few weeks for shipping from Russia, check out TiBam on ebay. I have a few of his New York style handles in brass, bronze, and Ti. They are normally 90mm but he can make them to 80mm as well, which is what I prefer. Also offers several other styles if you don't like the look of the New York.

proxy.php

I received my .72 Lupo with bamboo handle today and promptly took it for a spin. I wasn't too sure about the handle, but it really does work well....plus I don't have any like it so bonus. The razor looks really nice and I like the small head. Results....very nice with little effort. It's definitely a smooth shaver for a razor with positive blade exposure and it is surprisingly efficient. I will put a few more shaves on it before I compare it to my other top performers. So far I like it.

M

member 119848

Had myself quite a few razors of the premium class .
Had a 304 ss Timeless fully scalloped 0.95 ,a 303 ss Tatara Masamune OC ,
various Karve brass plates ( D,F oc ,E oc ,G ) .I’ve tried
(for at least a week )
plenty of vintage Gillettes and a ss machined Blackbird,
a Brassbird,a Dart ,one Barbaros ,
Pils and few others which are escaping from my memory,
at the moment.

And one day,just for the fun and
not actually buying the hype ,
a GC 0.84-P showed up at my doorstep.

Bam! All the rest of them sold in less
than three months from the Day of GC
Arrival . Like there’s an odd spell cast
( I wonder ,before or after the machining ? ) and
made my hands unable to pick up any razor,
other than the It’s Majesty ,the GC.

Ha! But kings fall ,
and so the GC was rivalled by
the... GC 0.84-OC !

I was pretty damn sure that this one
was the final razor,the one and only
I was really seeking ( I belong to that
odd group of shavers that buy & sell
one razor after another.Seeking for the
absolute keeper .The Grail!
If such thing really exists . )

But ,but ,but ...

When shavers make plans ,
Razorock laughs !

Et voila !
The new Lupo !

And here I stand ,wondering
Ok,what‘s next ?
Is anything actually missing ,
from the Lupo ?
What would be a further
improvement ?
How on Earth it’s possible ,
a relatively cheap razor
to be made from a “hi-end” steel
like 316L ,to be finely machined
with almost zero tolerances and
shave so heavenly ?

BTW ,a pic from todays ,
almost divine ,
shaving ritual .

• SV Desert Vetiver
• Omega EVO
• Razorock Lupo 95
• Bic Chrome Platinum (3)
• custom serum
• custom asl
• Natura Siberica Yak & Yeti asb
What makes a premium razor is the price. And what justifies the price is the cost of production.
But what makes a great shaver is a good design. And a great design does not have to be built with premium specs.
For example, mirror polished Damascus steel won´t give better shaves.

From the reviews that we´re reading, Razorock got it right without making it premium. I say bravo! :a14:

@corlay
Yes ,found it to be too thin ( has a diameter of just 11 mm ).
I use the RR super knurl while I'm waiting for a new handle to arrive .

About 95 mm long , close to 15 mm Dia. ,hollow 3-piece 316L stainless steel ,
having a weight below 50 grams .

Needs a small modification in order to fit into the washer cut-out
underneath the Lupo baseplate ,but while borrowed one and tested it ,
found it to be the perfect match !

I won't say which handle it is .
I will post some pics ,soon enough .
Anyway, it can not be bought as a single part ,
but only as a full razor .

I was actually very lucky to find a person that did not need the
handle ,as he uses the head of that particular razor with
a titanium after-market handle .So ,I bought the
( otherwise unobtainable as single part or replacement )
handle for peanuts !

@Fabi
My opinion is something like this:

Gillette ,at it’s very start as a company,given the different eras,
might be sharing more than a few
similarities with modern Razorock company.
And before finding myself running
to avoid the approaching with high velocity XL sized stones and find a secure place to hide,let me explain a bit further.

Gillette opted for the masses .
RR has the same approach .

At a point, before it was bought
from the multinational P&G ,
Gillette was offering all sorts of
shaving paraphernalia .Even the
very first gen of synthetic brushes,
if I’m not mistaken.

Razorock offers a great variety of
shaving products.
If you ask me ,I’d say that few
are meh ,some are mediocre,some
are nice or even very good and
few are...diamonds .Maybe a bit
rough,but still diamonds.
Especially at RR “cnc milled stainless
steel safety razors” section are most
of those rough diamonds to be found.

Gillette products,more or less had
the same Gaussian distribution quality
wise ,like RR .

Yes,I do think that RR is the modern times “Gillette “ .Or at least ,it seems to follow rather the same basic principle footsteps ,like Gillette as
it was long ago , once upon a time.
Think about it ,for a moment.

I won’t get surprised a bit ,
if in the future RR announces that
they got machinery and quality
steel stripe rolls and will start stamping their own ,RR branded
DE /SE blades .
Actually,might be their next step,
who knows ?

Please ,note that while I had plenty
of other RR products ,like soaps,asl,
brushes,etc ,they never made it to be amongst my favourites.
Not bad ,not at all ,but still not of my likings.
But those few razors I got from RR ,
are definitely razors to keep for life .

Last edited:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
rock offers a great variety of
shaving products.
If you ask me ,I’d say that few
are meh ,some are mediocre,some
are nice or even very good and
few are...diamonds .Maybe a bit
rough,but still diamonds.
Especially at RR “cnc milled stainless
steel safety razors” section are most
of thos
I never thought of that, but you are right! If only there wasn't the whole 18-bladed behemoth selling for $10/cartridge.

Top Bottom