What's new

Lupo 127 and Mamba 92

A wonderful shave this morning with the Lupo 127. I skipped yesterday as the growth was still light from Friday evening’s shave and wanted to try something out for this mornings shave. I decided I was going to go with a single ATG pass and if needed a 2nd touch up pass if I missed a spot or two during the ATG exercise. The razor was locked & loaded with the Minora blade from its first shave on Friday and it was an amazingly good first pass. Cleared the face & neck easily and comfortably that had me at a DFS look and feel. I felt a small patch just under the chin and a slightly larger patch on either side of the Adam’s Apple but, the jawline, cheeks and both sideburns were completely clear of stubble. Threw some suds under the chin and apple area and cleaned that out nicely with a hybrid ATG/XTG pass as the hairs there grow almost sideways like. Almost like a J-hook maneuver to clear out those pesky whiskers. The 127 did it beautifully without a single issue. Face feels great and calm without a red dot or irritation to mention. Just a lovely shave that was highly efficient yet still very comfortable & easy on the skin.

Great shaves to all….

BA13DC80-F207-461B-B81D-41055F360443.jpeg

shaved with the 1.27 lupo base plate. Had a pretty good shave. Don't really have to say much else. It doesn't feel as aggressive as the ikon tech which is by far the most aggressive safety bar razor I used in my life time, but it's still very efficient. Maybe a bit more efficient than the lupo .95 sb and about the same as the 0.95 oc. Also, a little more efficient than the gamechanger 1.05, but it's not really a big difference to be honest. most of the lupos and gamechangers I have are plenty efficient most of the time for me.

Mailcall from Canada...

20231215_225421.jpeg

For my nightly inauguration shave with the 1.27 Lupo SB baseplate I chose a fresh PermaSharp blade. One and a half days of growth were to be tackled.

My shaving experience with the other Lupo baseplates (blade gaps up to .95 OC) has been all about comfort (and efficiency), so I was quite surprised the wtg pass with this big gap Lupo felt uncommonly rough, almost unpleasant.

I applied a steep shaving angle during this pass, just as I always do when I shave with the Lupo. But oddly, shaving steep didn't result in a smooth experience. So I amended the shaving angle to a way more shallow angle for the second pass (atg) and that did the trick today. Smooth gliding, significantly reduced blade feel, a very satisfying shaving experience this way, just as I had hoped for with this baseplate.

The efficiency level of the 1.27 Lupo baseplate is at the upper end of the scale, that's obvious for me even with just one (very close) shave completed. A third pass absolutely wasn't needed, so I just did a little clean up with some buffing in the crucial areas of my face (chin and neck), it's worth noting a very light touch was needed whilst buffing to avoid weepers. But god news, I completed the shave without pink lather.

20231215_225235.jpeg

There was significantly less stinging feedback from the AS than I had expected given the rough first pass, however, my skin showed a bit of heat after the shave. A balm took care and calmed the skin within 20 minutes... a velvety soft skin remained.

There might be a learning curve with this baseplate for me, but I guess I'm going to master this baseplate eventually... 👍

Last edited:
Mailcall from Canada...

View attachment 1764619

For my nightly inauguration shave with the 1.27 Lupo SB baseplate I chose a fresh PermaSharp blade. One and a half days of growth were to be tackled.

My shaving experience with the other Lupo baseplates (blade gaps up to .95 OC) has been all about comfort (and efficiency), so I was quite surprised the wtg pass with this big gap Lupo felt uncommonly rough, almost unpleasant.

I applied a steep shaving angle during this pass, just as I always do when I shave with the Lupo. But oddly, shaving steep didn't result in a smooth experience. So I amended the shaving angle to a way more shallow angle for the second pass (atg) and that did the trick today. Smooth gliding, significantly reduced blade feel, a very satisfying shaving experience this way, just as I had hoped for with this baseplate.

The efficiency level of the 1.27 Lupo baseplate is at the upper end of the scale, that's obvious for me even with just one (very close) shave completed. A third pass absolutely wasn't needed, so I just did a little clean up with some buffing in the crucial areas of my face (chin and neck), it's worth noting a very light touch was needed whilst buffing to avoid weepers. But god news, I completed the shave without pink lather.

View attachment 1764618

There was significantly less stinging feedback from the AS than I had expected given the rough first pass, however, my skin showed a bit of heat after the shave. A balm took care and calmed the skin within 20 minutes... a velvety soft skin remained.

There might be a learning curve with this baseplate for me, but I guess I'm going to master this baseplate eventually... 👍
Thanks for the review. I have the Lupo 72 and I shave very shallow with it. I can’t imagine going steep on the 127.

I’ve been using my Lupo .127 for a week now. I plan to use it exclusively for the next couple of weeks to see if I get my technique dialed in. Right now it only feels slightly more aggressive than the .95. Much more alum feedback. It’s interesting in that I remember the exact same amount of feedback when I first started using the .95. Now I can shave with the .95 with barely any alum sting. I hope the .127 will be that smooth with a little more experience.
Jack

Though the pairing with the PermaSharp seemed not to be a perfect match, the longevity of the shave the combo delivered was top tier. It took approx. 13 hours until some stubble returned.

I’ve been using my Lupo .127 for a week now.
I'm curious. How often do you shave per week? How many passes do you regularly do in a shave?

Enjoy your shaves, Jack! 👍

Last edited:
20231217_124948.jpeg

Second outing with the 1.27, 1.5 days of growth again. Overall, I had an improved shave compared to the debut shave. Two passes and some clean up strokes (the latter were needed on the jawline and in the area of the adam's apple.) Subsequent to this treatment, my skin felt entirely smooth, an oil on glas finish. Marvellous. I went with a "more shallow than neutral" shaving angle all the time, the strokes were more enjoyable this way (the 7 o' clock Gillette SharpEdge turned out to be an excellent match), the blade feel was absolutely there but it's not been scary.

However, I had to be super careful whilst shaving my neck (as it appears, this area of my face benefits from a more steep shaving angle due to the direction my stubble grows, so I had to slow down); the lightest touch possible was required for this cleanup, resulting in a flawless shave without bloody blemishes.

The overall shave results (all of the two shaves 😉) do remind me a bit of those the Mühle R41 does provide. Means a long lasting and pretty close shave, which emphasizes blade feel...

Like it!

Last edited:
A wonderful shave this morning with the Lupo 127. I skipped yesterday as the growth was still light from Friday evening’s shave and wanted to try something out for this mornings shave. I decided I was going to go with a single ATG pass and if needed a 2nd touch up pass if I missed a spot or two during the ATG exercise. The razor was locked & loaded with the Minora blade from its first shave on Friday and it was an amazingly good first pass. Cleared the face & neck easily and comfortably that had me at a DFS look and feel. I felt a small patch just under the chin and a slightly larger patch on either side of the Adam’s Apple but, the jawline, cheeks and both sideburns were completely clear of stubble. Threw some suds under the chin and apple area and cleaned that out nicely with a hybrid ATG/XTG pass as the hairs there grow almost sideways like. Almost like a J-hook maneuver to clear out those pesky whiskers. The 127 did it beautifully without a single issue. Face feels great and calm without a red dot or irritation to mention. Just a lovely shave that was highly efficient yet still very comfortable & easy on the skin.

Great shaves to all….

View attachment 1761851
I love that handle. May I ask who made it?

Eben Stone

Staff member
My first shave with my new Lupo 1.27 was fantastic. I've been shaving daily with the Yaqi Knight Helmet so transitioning to the Lupo 1.27 seemed quite mild in comparison. I would categorize this razor as very efficient but also not aggressive at all. I was able to achieve a very close shave with zero alum feedback. I wouldn't mind an even larger blade gap.

I'm surprised there isn't more chatter about this one.

Top Bottom