What's new

Lupo 127 and Mamba 92

My first shave with my new Lupo 1.27 was fantastic. I've been shaving daily with the Yaqi Knight Helmet so transitioning to the Lupo 1.27 seemed quite mild in comparison. I would categorize this razor as very efficient but also not aggressive at all. I was able to achieve a very close shave with zero alum feedback. I wouldn't mind an even larger blade gap.

I'm surprised there isn't more chatter about this one.
The standalone plate has been out of stock for weeks and I may have purchased it by now if it was in stock.

Do you have the Lupo 95 to compare to the 127? I have the 95 and like it.

I know this thread has basically followed along the path of the Lupo 127 exclusively but, the OP did have it as a twofer with the Mamba 92 as well. I don't want to start another thread exclusively for the Mamba 92 and just think it would be better just to keep it here. If the OP decides to have it separated and have an admin make the change, by all means it's his choice. If it's not an issue, I'd rather just post here. Apologies to the OP, nevertheless.

I ordered the Mamba 92 with the new HD hollowed handle including a second "A" plate for my Hawk V3 SS & a couple other things during their 24 hr sale. Should be delivered tomorrow and hopefully a quick first impression shave shortly thereafter.

IMG_20240202_124509.jpg

I know this thread has basically followed along the path of the Lupo 127 exclusively but, the OP did have it as a twofer with the Mamba 92 as well. I don't want to start another thread exclusively for the Mamba 92 and just think it would be better just to keep it here. If the OP decides to have it separated and have an admin make the change, by all means it's his choice. If it's not an issue, I'd rather just post here. Apologies to the OP, nevertheless.

I ordered the Mamba 92 with the new HD hollowed handle including a second "A" plate for my Hawk V3 SS & a couple other things during their 24 hr sale. Should be delivered tomorrow and hopefully a quick first impression shave shortly thereafter.

View attachment 1789959
Side note to this thread, the hollow SS HD handle has me most intrigued. It may be the perfect handle for most of RR's razors. Now if only they would make the Haloed UFO handle in titanium .... :)

Just loaded up a fresh Gillette Minora blade and getting ready for a mid-afternoon shave with the Mamba 92. Also have the hollowed HD handle that came in today as well. Balance feel is very, very good with the new hollowed handle with the weight of it balanced towards the top as it clearly should be. Can’t say how it feels in comparison to the original HD handle but, I’ll get a comparison of them later down the road.

Initial shave report to follow…

B92DEDDF-C125-4414-BEA2-C730E1409B6B.jpeg

53BE3CDF-9BD1-4DB2-A3AB-53E73D405C32.jpeg

A6EF1BF8-4B94-4DDC-8C9D-07DD26A1E553.jpeg

617A45A9-4A23-47E3-8030-B085E1908997.jpeg

2FD55740-5B6E-4856-9E0A-31E028925203.jpeg

5BC86AAB-6D9B-45A8-A938-9B064773AE7A.jpeg

8425E455-849C-49C7-8726-7723EC923FE0.jpeg

My apologies for posting later than I had mentioned. Life gets in the way sometimes and you just have to go with it. Anyhow, I had an excellent first shave with the Mamba 92 and even a better 2nd shave with it today. I’ll first start off by saying that for those that found the Mamba 70 perfectly fine in their quest for a daily contemporary shave tool that is easy on the skin and is affordable while also giving a respectable or better shave experience, you don’t need to read any further. The mamba 70 will accomplish that and does so very well. However, if you like the Mamba 70 for its mild like behavior & nature but, really weren’t in love with the performance end of it, the 92 will completely change your mind on this series of razors by RazoRock. Yes, it still has the blade mount studs on the base plate which many found to be a turn off from both the Mamba & Gamechanger series but, I find it to be inconsequential. This particular version has amped up that cutting ability while still, for the most part employing that smooth nature of being easy & comfortable on the skin. There is a trade off on the mildness as this razor is not as carefree as the previous two versions, .53/.70 and there is a bump up in performance and blade feel. The previous versions are considered to be razors that one can say are both nearly impossible to give oneself any weepers and less so a cut or nic themselves during the shave. Not with this one as it will bite and remind you that it’s not a mindless performer as the other two can be. Cutting window on it is just as narrow as well with the guard span being a bit larger than I would like. Note, shavers that rely on the safety bar will NOT like this razor nor will cap riders just as equally. But, once you find that middle ground, it is a very good shaver that gives a good balance of blade feel, efficiency while still offering plenty of smoothness and ease of feel on the skin. The .53 almost felt as if it had negative blade exposure whilst the .70 gave an almost neutral feel depending on blade being used as a couple of the wider ones like KAI for example turned it into a positive exposure feeling shave. The Mamba 92 has it from the get go, positive blade feel that is so pressure as well has to be adjusted slightly. Don’t get me wrong or think that I’m painting the Mamba 92 as an aggressive of blade forward feeling razor because, it is not. For lack of a better word or definition, I will say that the 92 gives a crisper and direct feel of what is happening and gives more precise feedback stroke for stroke over it’s less “aggressive” siblings. One thing that is obvious is the blade support and rigidity that these series of razors exhibit. And the 92 is no exception to that design characteristic. Blade stability is flawless and no one is going to win an argument contrary to that statement.

Two really good shaves so far that have given the Mamba name and moniker that it deserves. Smooth, precise and can potentially give one more than just a nibble if you let it.

Great shaves to all….

2A79A204-D7B2-4A7F-8E03-FE557C482925.jpeg

Really a smooth and efficient shave today. 3 complete passes with no touch ups nor buffing required. Unlike the .70 where 3 passes plus a clean up pass is about standard for me, the Mamba 92 eliminated that clean up run and if I really wanted to put in a zen like shave, I can pretty much get it down to 2 passes and perhaps a buff or touch up pass. Listen, I’m not saying has to drop their current starter or daily shaver and get on the Mamba 92 plate wagon because if you already own say either of the Lupo or GC series of razors and are getting great shaves then this version of the Mamba is not required. But, let’s say your a Gillette Tech guy who happens to enjoy what your Tech brings to the table on a daily basis and lets say you took the weekend off and wanted to give yourself that semi scruffy look. Boom, Monday morning comes up and you want a nice and close performing shave that will get you smooth quickly yet comfortably with a bit more blade feel while still retaining that near Tech like smoothness and ease of use, the Mamba 92 does it to a tee. So does the .72 Lupo or the .68 GC only that the Mamba does it equally as good and to my experience so far, perhaps better. I think it’s equal to the .84 GC and probably once a Feather & a KAI blade are used, it can potentially confirm the thought of mine that it’s better. Only caveat so far has been the slight different angle of attack as the head is held at a near neutral position which can feel kind of unnatural at first but, it quickly becomes second nature as one progresses through the shave. That extra extension of feel on the safety bar can give the feeling of slight drag and that’s a sign that one is not at the optimal cutting angle. Again, that’s easy to overcome with a slight adjustment in angle by raising the handle ever so slightly. From there it’s as good as it can get. I’m going to let a few days go and get some thicker/longer growth and see how the Mamba handles it which I think will be with authoritative ease. We’ll see.

Geat shaves to all…

4439BCF1-8047-4FDE-81B9-AEC939801244.jpeg

Nearly 4 full days of growth and not a problem for the Mamba 92. A very nicely efficient shave that was quite comfortable and easy on the skin. 3 complete passes that were at a relaxed state as I just wanted to enjoy the moment without adding any touch ups or buff work. Mission accomplished with this razor & the Gillette Minora on its 4th shave. A BBS finish all around with no skin disturbance of any kind. Quite impressive with for this Mamba 92 that gives a bit more bite while still not losing much in overall operation of comfort as it still stays true to the smooth dealings that it was designed for. Nice on the skin and superbly wicked on the whiskers. Quite possibly the best iteration of the Mamba series to date. It can stay right there with no more need in gap increase or blade exposure. Stay away from the longish guard and this thing will give extremely satisfying shaves.

Great shaves to all…

14D97939-866A-44D4-BCB3-EDC39B7AD949.jpeg

127 arrived 3 days ago.

Today I shaved with it. Yes, that's a proper razor. Exposure is a tad more than the Lupo 0.95SB. Also, this one has chatter which you won't hear on the 95.
Don't get me wrong. I like very much the 0.95 SB.

Be warned, if you like medium aggressiveness stay away!
And finally, I don't think any comparison to the Ikon Tek is relevant.

I've spent a lot more time with the Lupo 1.27 plate during the past month. I don't like shaving more than 2 passes and for me, it's knocking some big names out of contention. Razors that are double or triple the price. I'm looking at you Blackbird.

The BB always wows me with the end result... very efficient but honestly, I just don't enjoy the actual shaves. Love the results, but the shaves, not so much. Something about the angle, the draggy feeling, the sharp edged safety bar. Not so with the Lupo which is one of the most intuitive razors I've ever used. Very smooth and so easy to play around with the blade angle on the stubborn spots. I'm at the point now using the 1.27 where the alum is giving me very minimal feedback after an extremely close but comfortable shave, plus I don't begin to feel stubble until around 16 hrs later. Not quite as smooth shaving as my Wolfman WR2 1.25 but smoother than my WR1 .74 which is the razor it was supposedly inspired by. Also more nimble around the nose/nostrils than the wr2, especially with a Ti handle attached.

Maybe my "in queue" Yates 921 EH will compete for smoothness and efficiency but for now, the Lupo 1.27 and I have something special going on. :001_wub:

Top Bottom