What's new

LRod's Acquisition and everything else Thread!

Hello everyone,
My Wolfman WR3 OC .35 GEM finally arrived today after 19 days of transit from Canada!

I had my first shave with it tonight and will give a quick, straight to the point review.
Keep in mind that this is my first Wolfman razor:
2 pass WTG/XTG (No ATG), Personna coated GEM blade
-The fit & finish is excellent. Probably the best I've seen on any razor (I won't compare this metric to any other razor because I don't want to put down any other razor). I've got plenty of other razors that will never have this fit & finish but are also excellent performers!
-The basic matte finish is excellent!
-The head is large but manageable. It didn't bother me one bit and this was one of my initial doubts.
-The handle is wonderful: The 98mm length is perfectly proportioned for the head heavy WR3 and brings a perfect balance to the entire razor. I honestly can't imagine using a shorter handle with this razor!
The feel, threading, knurling etc.. is all superb!
-Now for the shave:
My goal is always a DFS that will last me throughout the day (I shave daily). This razor in the .35 OC doesn't disappoint. After spending 3 months researching and reading everyone's experiences with blade gaps and head type, I most definitely made the perfect choice. It's incredibly smooth and efficient enough! Slight blade feel with it's
0.05" blade exposure that translates to an absolutely non aggressive shave.
Zero learning curve, it shaves like a vintage GEM!
It's as good as it gets for daily use!
I was left with an almost BBS shave that feels as if no blade ever touched my face.
All in all, Wolfman makes an excellent product and I'm very happy with my choice!
Now, is it worth the price?
That's very subjective! But you're paying for a very very fine and well built tool.
Like I said, some of my other razors are really good too. But hey, I had to finally try a Wolfman.
Considering that I really really like GEM razors, I probably won't buy another entire Wolfman. At some point, I might order a closed comb head to have it as a combo with this OC but won't go beyond that (based on their current lineup).
So that's my take on this wonderful razor. All I can say is that James really knows what he's doing!

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

That's a pretty good looking razor Larry. Very nice finish, the handle looks great and glad you're happy with it. After reading your review the razor is definitely worth the price because it met or exceeded all the criteria you had for it from original investigation to the actual trials. But seriously...19 days from Canada? Dogsled and then covered wagon for delivery? I have never had any issue using Canada Post with tracking and having something received wherever in about a week...especially to the US.

Hello everyone,
My Wolfman WR3 OC .35 GEM finally arrived today after 19 days of transit from Canada!

I had my first shave with it tonight and will give a quick, straight to the point review.
-The fit & finish is excellent. Probably the best I've seen on any razor (I won't compare this metric to any other razor because I don't want to put down any other razor). I've got plenty of other razors that will never have this fit & finish but are also excellent performers!
-The head is large but manageable. It didn't bother me one bit and this was one of my initial doubts.
-The handle is wonderful: The 98mm length is perfectly proportioned for the head heavy WR3 and brings a perfect balance to the entire razor. I honestly can't imagine using a shorter handle with this razor!
-Now for the shave:
My goal is always a DFS that will last me throughout the day (I shave daily). This razor in the .35 OC doesn't disappoint. After spending 3 months researching and reading everyone's experiences with blade gaps and head type, I most definitely made the perfect choice. It's incredibly smooth and efficient enough! Slight blade feel with it's
I was left with an almost BBS shave that feels as if no blade ever touched my face.
All in all, Wolfman makes an excellent product and I'm very happy with my choice!
That's very subjective! But you're paying for a very very fine and well built tool.
Like I said, some of my other razors are really good too. But hey, I had to finally try a Wolfman.
Considering that I really really like GEM razors, I probably won't buy another entire Wolfman. At some point, I might order a closed comb head to have it as a combo with this OC but won't go beyond that (based on their current lineup).
So that's my take on this wonderful razor. All I can say is that James really knows what he's doing!

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full
Stunning! Glad it hit all the right notes

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello everyone,

-Now for the shave:

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Hmm, I think your Wolfman looks like a Gem razor. I like the Wolfman logo on the razor head. Open combs is always nice when you got substantial growth of whiskers. These things take unique blades, even more unique then your typical AC single edge razors. The blades these take have more in common with paint scrapers then anything else. But perhaps you will love this razor for the rest of your life.

This razor might require technique change too, it just looks the part, a real technique killer, to make you humble, and keep you honest. It will be interesting to see your long term thoughts on this one, after you've had time to put a lot of shaves under your belt with this one. Congrats on your new razor purchase, may the Wolf be with you, and yo da man!

That's a pretty good looking razor Larry. Very nice finish, the handle looks great and glad you're happy with it. After reading your review the razor is definitely worth the price because it met or exceeded all the criteria you had for it from original investigation to the actual trials. But seriously...19 days from Canada? Dogsled and then covered wagon for delivery? I have never had any issue using Canada Post with tracking and having something received wherever in about a week...especially to the US.
Yeah, I don't know what happened in transit. Canada post took like 4 days to get it moving and then USPS took another 15. I know it's a heck of a distance from Alberta to Florida but that's way too long. But whatever, it's here now!

Hmm, I think your Wolfman looks like a Gem razor. I like the Wolfman logo on the razor head. Open combs is always nice when you got substantial growth of whiskers. These things take unique blades, even more unique then your typical AC single edge razors. The blades these take have more in common with paint scrapers then anything else. But perhaps you will love this razor for the rest of your life.

This razor might require technique change too, it just looks the part, a real technique killer, to make you humble, and keep you honest. It will be interesting to see your long term thoughts on this one, after you've had time to put a lot of shaves under your belt with this one. Congrats on your new razor purchase, may the Wolf be with you, and yo da man!
Hey Chris, it is a GEM. I've been using GEM's for some time already and have adopted it as my #1 format. I have several GEM's already.
Thanks for the compliment!

Yeah, I don't know what happened in transit. Canada post took like 4 days to get it moving and then USPS took another 15. I know it's a heck of a distance from Alberta to Florida but that's way too long. But whatever, it's here now!
I was pretty impressed with Canada Post last week. Received notification on Monday and package delivered on Saturday. This is from Canada to Europe mind you.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I asked Tara if UPS was an option from Canada... and she said "yes".... For me, it was worth the few dollars more for shipping. Canada is our northern neighbor.... but shipping between these two neighbors can be brutal. I've received shipments from Italian Barber and Wolfman via UPS.... great way to go for me..... USPS? Not so much.

I asked Tara if UPS was an option from Canada... and she said "yes".... For me, it was worth the few dollars more for shipping. Canada is our northern neighbor.... but shipping between these two neighbors can be brutal. I've received shipments from Italian Barber and Wolfman via UPS.... great way to go for me..... USPS? Not so much.
Yeah, I wish I'd known that and thought of asking before it shipped. I would have paid the extra fee!
I believe UPS doesn't have to go through the normal customs clearance as USPS and the travel distance is pretty direct to Florida vs. having to stop in Los Angeles.

To Europe it's by plane. To Florida from Alberta is by truck and it's 4,267 miles via Los Angeles where it gets cleared through customs.
Regardless, 19 days was too much!
No, from Alberta to Florida is by plane if you have a tracking number. Did you have a tracking number? If so, it should have been sent by plane. Not sure why there's such a disparity or problems from Wolfman and Canada Post. Anytime I send a pkge I stipulate tracking and it's always by air. Now you can have regular shipping without tracking which would probably be ground delivery. So there's definitely confusion but not sure why...other than it's just one of those things...I guess.

Hello everyone,

-Now for the shave:

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full
How have the subsequent shaves been?

I'm considering a WR3 and am waffling between a .35 or a .40 OC. I've tried a Micromatic and an Ever-Ready 1914 and I prefer the 1914 so far, which is a .43 blade gap.

No, from Alberta to Florida is by plane if you have a tracking number. Did you have a tracking number? If so, it should have been sent by plane. Not sure why there's such a disparity or problems from Wolfman and Canada Post. Anytime I send a pkge I stipulate tracking and it's always by air. Now you can have regular shipping without tracking which would probably be ground delivery. So there's definitely confusion but not sure why...other than it's just one of those things...I guess.
Yes I had a tracking number. I believe it wasn't by plane because of all the stops. It had plenty of stops from Beaumont all the way down: Beaumont, Edmonton, Vancouver, Richmond, then from Seattle down to Los Angeles, and then across the US to New Orleans and down to Florida. I may be wrong but it looks to me like it was trucked the whole way!

How have the subsequent shaves been?

I'm considering a WR3 and am waffling between a .35 or a .40 OC. I've tried a Micromatic and an Ever-Ready 1914 and I prefer the 1914 so far, which is a .43 blade gap.
Excellent!
I opted for the .35 based on the same vintage tests that you've done. My favorite vintage is the
1924 which is a tad more aggressive than the 1914. But do note that it isn't really a par comparison between the old ones and the WR3. The WR3 is smoother and more efficient. That's why I chose the .35!
For my 2 pass WTG/XTG it's perfect!
And of course I also analyzed everyone's experience on the WR3 thread.
I especially followed @Fedsbackhand which has experience with various WR3's.
For me the .35 OC was the one!

I'd say the exposure is more important in the Wolfman GEM. Let me repost the numbers that @LRod got from Wolfman

.25 = 0
.30 = 0.025
.35 = 0.05
.40 = 0.07
.45 = 0.10
.50 = 0.12
.60 = 0.15

I have no idea what the exposure on a Micromatic or any other vintage GEM would be. The difference in efficiency is minor between the two. I have both .35 and .40 OC in bronze. The smaller gap is definitely smoother. I'm sure you wouldn't find the .40 aggressive given your WR1 gaps. I have even considered going to an even smaller gap -- less than .35 in the open comb. It won't be everyone's choice but I'm confident it would work for me. And be really smooth.

The .35 surprised me with it's efficiency.

Top Bottom