What's new

Loves me some Sheffield steel!

I don't know what it is about these vintage Sheffield blades but you can whomp up an edge on these in at least half the time it seems to take on say a Swedish or American blade. Got a nice little Wade & Butcher 4/8 off e-bay for $20 and of course it came "e-bay sharp". Painted the edge with a black marker and did ten passes on a DMT EF to see how true the blade was and though happily the blade was pretty straight the metal loss from the DMT scared me. Took out my soft arkansas and did less than 100 passes and am popping arm hair easily. Is Sheffield softer than other steels? The DMT looked like it was going to eat the razor for breakfast but the blade seems to like a slow cutter like the arkansas. Comments? Suggestions? Amusing antidotes? (I know that's not the right word but I cant spell George, Jeorge)

Odd though i agree to a fashion my sheffield does feel softer but when honing it on a coti it took what i felt was a long time despite having lots of slurry.

Im sure it'll be much faster on my naniwa stone infact i'll try it later on it needs a touch up anyway.

If you want a fast hone hmm id say my dubl duck was very surprising though my genco easy aces was pretty fast, i barely see the bevel the edge on it being so fine, great for shaving though.

I love Sheffield razors and fond of Freddy Reynalds. IMO they are particular blades and to me feel hard and take more work if they have any pitting or chips to take out from an edge. But no doubt they are nice blades.:thumbup1:

I love most Sheefiled makers because I usually get a comfortable shave justt off the 8k norton or Naniwa. I must say though, unlike the above person, I hate Fredrick Reynolds. IMO they are the most difficult to hone and compared to Greaves, Taylor, W&B, or Marshes and Shepherd (my favorite) they hane harder steel. I will conceed that I have found them to hold an edge for a good while and deliver a nice shave, but I have one right now that has cocobolo scales that I have had a lot of trouble getting the bevel set.
None the less, my favorite razors are English made and I hold them in higher regard than all the other Solingen, Swedish, or even some American blades.
However, anyone wanting to get rid of a Genco or Torrey will definitely catch my attention.

I must say though, unlike the above person, I hate Fredrick Reynolds. IMO they are the most difficult to hone

Oh yeah, if the blade has work to do they can be brutal and they scratch horribly if you have to take it down below a 1k. But I'm a sucker for a good edge:lol:

Top Bottom