What's new

L'Othantique-Someone Explain the Differences

Good afternoon gents. I was looking over the French Shaving Soap Compendium and came across the reference to this somewhat elusive soap. When our own Lathermeister first reviewed this soap some years ago, I was taken with the idea of gathering in a cake and giving it a try. However, at the time you had to email the company for a purchase and there was no real consensus on availability, etc. Now I find on the list in the compendium that this may be available in three different scents. At least it would appear so. They are described as so; Fig et Melanie, Le Collectionneur pour L'Homme and Pere et Fils varieties. Okay, a rudimentary Google search pulls up a much more accessible L'Othantique website. However, their only description is of the Le Collectionneur pour L'Homme. Alright, where doe s that leave us with the Pere et Fils and Fig et Melanie? These are all quite enticing since as I remember, Ron got more than acceptable results with this lather. Is there someone out there who could give me some information about these soaps?

Regards, Todd

Last edited:
Good afternoon gents. I was looking over the French Shaving Soap Compendium and came across the reference to this somewhat elusive soap. When our own Lathermeister first reviewed this soap some years ago, I was taken with the idea of gathering in a cake and giving it a try. However, at the time you had to email the company for a purchase and there was no real consensus on availability, etc. Now I find on the list in the compendium that this may be available in three different scents. At least it would appear so. They are described as so; Fig et Melanie, Le Collectionneur pour L'Homme and Pere et Fils varieties. Okay, a rudimentary Google search pulls up a much more accessible L'Othantique website. However, their only description is of the Le Collectionneur pour L'Homme. Alright, where doe s that leave us with the Pere et Fils and Fig et Melanie? These are all quite enticing since as I remember, Ron got more than acceptable results with this lather. Is there someone out there who could give me some information about these soaps?

Hi Todd --

I bought a cake of Pere et Fils from cranstonaccents.com.

It's a very nice soap with a subtle, citrusy, grapefruit-y (well, at least to my nose) aroma. I'm pretty sure it's a glycerin-based soap -- it sure looks like one -- but it works very well indeed. I've had good results.

I bought this soap before realizing there were other varieties. I'm curious myself about the other 2 flavors. Any further info would be great.

Hope this helps!

Evan

Hi Evan. Grapefruit you say? Well, well, well. If you have ever used Salter's "Citrus" shave cream then you have sniffed a grapefruit laced shave lather. I love that scent. It may be differently named now. They changed up the names a year or two ago. This makes the Pere et Fils VERY enticing to me. As it is, I am such a sucker for Franco soap the other two nag at me as well. The name alone; Fig et Melanie is pulling at me.

Lets see now. I posted one of those foolish, "what do I buy next" threads a week or so ago. I had it down to AOS lemon or eShave Mandarin(maybe the linden/avacado). Now a week later I am up to those two plus considering three different L'Othanique offerings and maybe the Harris Arlington. SSAD truly never ends.

Regards, Todd

Top Bottom