What's new

Lost on deserted island for seven years

Are there even any uninhibited islands large enough to support a goat colony left in the middle of the oceans?

I know of one island on the US east coast that's technically uninhibited except by - coincidentally - goats. But I could stand in my back yard and look across the sound and see the goats.

Are there even any uninhibited islands large enough to support a goat colony left in the middle of the oceans?

I know of one island on the US east coast that's technically uninhibited except by - coincidentally - goats. But I could stand in my back yard and look across the sound and see the goats.

Is that the same island where the BOTOC guys keep their goats?

Is that the same island where the BOTOC guys keep their goats?

Couldn't tell you, but this is the island I'm familiar with.

http://iloveiop.com/isle-of-palms-sc/island-history/sc-goat-island/

There are a number of "Goat Island" islands around the world, and I suspect they all have a population of feral goats. After all, goats are pretty hardy little buggers. And if you get a mating couple somewhere there's enough food then nature takes its course.

But an ocean island, outside an established ecosystem like the estuary the above island is in, has to be considerably larger to provide all the ingredients for a ecosystem to support the "herd of goats" mentioned in the "article" above. I have been to Majuro in the Marshall Islands, and as dinky as that place is it has had an established population since antiquity. So an island the size of "Gilligan's Island" that wasn't settled by the Pacific Islanders eons ago seems far-fetched. And the only way to get a herd of feral goats is if someone brought them. Spontaneous generation has been rather thoroughly discredited.

Hence my original question, are there even any uninhabited islands left in the open ocean that large?

Last edited:
... so I'm pretty sure there are.

Well, that sounds like a good fantasy. I could spend a year as a hermit.

I'd probably even keep shaving.

The idea would to spend a period in reclusive reflection, much like an adventure on Walden Pond. Not to be abandon and lost like Robinson Caruso.

Couldn't tell you, but this is the island I'm familiar with.

http://iloveiop.com/isle-of-palms-sc/island-history/sc-goat-island/

Hence my original question, are there even any uninhabited islands left in the open ocean that large?

There is an atoll in the Pacific belonging to the Cook Islands called Palmerston. Population of 60. They have three other Islands in the group that are uninhabited. Called Leicester, big island and Tom's.
The BBC did an article on it earlier this year.
If you really want to read it I pm me and I can send you a link.

Top Bottom