What's new

Looking for some input, ATT OC vs. lkon OC, may be purchasing one or the other

I have preference for OC razors. I have both LC and SC News, Mercur 1904 and Travel OC's, an Old Type, and a Cadet OC. I am considering selling my DE89 Barley and newly Krona Kruiser re-plated '64 Slim adjustable to help finance my plunge into one of the post subject razors from ATT or Ikon.

At those prices, what are the bottom line differences?

Of my OC collection, the Cadet definitely is the most aggressive (and also irritating). I'm not looking for BBS; but DFS with comfort. I do like all the other OC's I have, my favorites being the LC New, the Old, and the Mercurs. The closest shaver of the 3 is the LC New. I do 2-pass shaves, 1 WTG, 1 XTG.

Now, my AD is kicking in big time, and I'd like to know a little more from the troops out there what the consensus is. Plus, ATT has a few different models of OC razors, and the descriptions don't help much.

How about it, gentlemen?

Cheers! :a39:

I have an ATT H-2 that I absolutely love, but it is super aggressive, a half notch down from an R41 (slightly higher on the scale than your Cadet OC). I would recommend the R-2, but it has not been getting great reviews (maybe I'm just reading the wrong posts). The M-2, on the other hand is receiving rave reviews. It is NOT mild, so it should be perfect for your tastes. The reports I've read would put it somewhere between the LC NEW and the Cadet OC (probably closer to the former).
The build quality is superb. Some days, I decide to shave with it just because I like the feel of the razor in my hand.
Admittedly, the ATT line is very expensive, but I consider my H-2 to be worth every penny.

I'm one of those struggling with the R2. Considering getting a H2 but waiting for more reviews.

To put it in perspective, I find a Cadet OC a comfortable easy shave, nearly always BBS with just about every blade I've used and a 2013 R41 an even closer but more demanding shave with fewer blade choices.

Can't comment on the Ikon but the workmanship of the ATT is superb. If it wasn't for that I would have already given up on the R2.

I have no experience with ATT, but I am testdriving an iKon Deluxe OC at the moment and it is a very smooth shaver. It has some blade exposure, but it is not huge. Because of this, you definitely need to hold it at the right angle or it will not shave close. Right used, it will give good shaves. It is a surprisingly heavy razor.

<snip> ATT has a few different models of OC razors, and the descriptions don't help much.

How about it, gentlemen?

Cheers! :a39:

I can't comment on the other razors you mention because I only own ATT gear, both handles, two caps and all six bases.

M1/M2: least amount of blade exposure, most forgiving of newbie technique, best training bases. *1 ATT bases have a safety bar; *2 bases have open combs

R1/R2: more blade exposure than the M series, less than the H series. Less forgiving of newbie technique. Trivial to get SAS and DFS on my sparse, course facial and neck growth

H1/H2: Maximum distance between cutting edge and safety bar or open comb. I probably nicked myself 3-4 times on the neck and chin when first trying the H1. Once I got my technique and angle down, I've not made any weepers or caused any nicks. I won't use an H base it on my scalp.

This week I've been using the shorter atlas handle and the H2 on my face and the longer kronos handle + R2 base on my scalp.

-Jon

Top Bottom