What's new

B&B Modern Razor Aggressiveness Scale?

I had a Merkur 25c and it was VERY mild. About the same as an Ikon oss.
I also find a long handle Progress on a 5+ LESS aggressive than a cadet OC. Perhaps 1 or 1.5 less.

A heads up:
Links to my prior Polls that involved I Kon razors (see lists above) no longer work.

While I did obtain prior consent from two moderators before including these razors in Aggressiveness Polls, other (all volunteer) moderators did some housekeeping last night without reading the related moderator notification that was intended to exclude the Aggressiveness Polls from the ban ... and so most of my polls involving the banned vendor have been closed and/or effectively accidentally deleted.

It sounds like the vendor truly deserves the general ban, and to avoid the risk of further wasted time (and added confusion), I'll be excluding I Kon razors from future Aggressiveness Polls and eventual Ranked List. Sorry for the inconvenience to those of you who voted in those specific polls, and for the confusion that this may continue to cause future readers of this thread and related polls.

Please note:
I would prefer to keep the Aggressiveness Polls and threads free of banning discussions and controversy. In my opinion, blame the vendor who's actions necessitated their general ban. There is an official post regarding banned vendors if you would like more information:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Banned_Vendors

The List of Razors and Companion Polls is now in B&B's Wiki!

The list of polls needed to be renumbered due to the removal of the I Kon razors, and the list was becoming too long to keep posting everywhere anyway ... so I've moved it to the Wiki.

List of Polls:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Mode...olls_being_used_towards_refining_the_rankings

While I was there I also decided to post a first, super-duper-really-rough draft of aggressiveness rankings:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Mode...azors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness#Working_Draft:

Plus, I've started writing a preamble to what the list is and isn't ... if you have refined writing skills please feel free to make direct changes and edits (it's a wiki so we can always review or revert to prior versions):
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Mode...rs_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness#What_is_this_list

Thoughts? Do you guys like the direction that it's heading? Please reply back on this thread with any comments or suggestions.

Thanks!
Shawnsel

Last edited:
Added 8 new polls today:

1. NEW: Cadet/Pearl/RazoRock standard bar (SB) razor head vs Muhle or Edwin Jagger model 89 razor head (closes on 08-14-2014)
  2. NEW: RiMei standard bar (SB) razor head vs. Wilkinson Sword Classic razor (closes on 08-14-2014)
  3. NEW: Wilkinson Sword Classic razor vs Feather Popular razor (closes on 08-14-2014)
  4. NEW: Merkur slant bar razor heads vs Weber Polished SB razor head (closes on 08-14-2014)
  5. NEW: Merkur standard bar (SB) razor heads vs Weber Polished SB razor head (closes on 08-14-2014)
  6. NEW: Muhle or Edwin Jagger model 89 razor head vs Weber Polished Head SB razor head (closes on 08-14-2014)
  7. NEW: FaTip/Joris open comb (OC) head vs Above the Tie (ATT) R1/R2 (closes on 08-14-2014)
  8. NEW: Parker standard bar (SB) razor heads vs Above the Tie (ATT) R1/R2 (closes on 08-14-2014)

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Modern_Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness

Please vote in all where you have experience with both!

Cheers,
Shawnsel

After I've completed a reasonably good List of Modern Razors Ranked by User-Polled Aggressiveness on a Scale of 1 to 10 ... what do you think about a series of customer satisfaction polls?

One option could be a simple poll like....

1. I have experience with Razor X and I would recommend it to a friend:
(select one)
- Yes
- No
- I don't have experience with this razor
- I'm not sure

Or it could be something more complex like....

2. I have experience with Razor X and I would recommend one to a friend who was looking for:
(check all that apply

- a first DE razor to learn from
- a decent, frugal razor
- a best value razor
- a second DE razor to determine his razor aggression preference
- a razor to experiment with steep angle shaving (handle moving away from skin until the blade hovers over it)
- the best possible shave
- a noteworthy addition to his razor collection
- a likely to be new favorite razor in his rotation
- a "RAD killer" that will possibly be the last razor he will ever want
- a razor that will confidently remain in excellent condition for decades
- OR: I would never recommend this razor to a friend

Any thoughts on if and how this could be made the most useful?

Thanks,
Shawnsel

Last edited:
I own the following razors and shave with them in a rotation.

4.0 Weber PH
3.6 Merkur 34C HD
3.5 Muhle R89

These rankings done with Personna Med Prep.

I'm coming in very late to this discussion, and I'd like first to say thanks to Shawnsel for starting the thread. However imperfect the ratings may be, I think they will be of great value - at least as a starting point, and certainly for newer shavers like me.

Top Bottom