What's new

Looking for some help on US artisan soaps

Hey guys!

Well, I'm from EU, so that's really hard to find some of the best artisan soaps, like B&M, Nobble Otter, Declaration of Grooming etc...
Considering this, I'm going to pull the trigger on 3 soaps on Maggards store.
I've preselected these:
-B&M Seville
-NO Barrbarr
-Chiseled Face Sherlock

Share your thoughts or tips with me!

B&M Seville is a good choice.

Take a look at Stirling as it’s an underrated artisan that in my opinion can stand equally with any others.

My other selection would be something from Arianna & Evans. Maybe not as well known, but a good performer with some interesting scents.

Noble Otter ranks at the top of my list the past year or so. I love the scent of Sherlock, and truly appreciate the performance of Chiseled Face after shaves, however IMHO, there are better soaps. Declaration Grooming, Arianna and Evans and Murphy and McNeil are others I reach for.

I can vouch for B&M Seville in the new Omnibus base. Extremely slick (and extremely residually slick), dense low structure lather, exceptional postshave feel, very high water tolerance, and easy to lather. I'm also a fan of the scent.

Mike's Natural Soaps is my suggestion. Orange, Cedarwood, and Black Pepper scent seems to be the most universally liked scent in Mike's lineup.

The soap base has remained the same for this soap for years. That isn't a problem in my eyes as the formula works great for me. I my damp brush for a out 30 seconds and move to a face lather(or bowl.)

This was the 1st artisan soap I purchased back in 2014-2015 and I just rediscovered it while digging through my hoard. I think it's a great soap with very nice scents. I've tried many(MANY!) shaving soaps over the past 7+ years and Mike's Natural Soaps still hold up well against the competition.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Used Seville yesterday. Excellent stuff. I have it in Excelsior, but I have several other omnibus soaps. So either base works really well.

There are so many great soaps out there now, and alongside those already mentioned I would personally add Talbot Shaving and Southern Witchcrafts.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
From the personally tried & highly recommend list:
  • Stirling mutton soaps
  • Noble Otter Barrbarr

And from the shopping cart & highly recommended by others:
  • Seaforth Sea Spice Lime
  • Mike’s Natural Soaps
  • Barrister & Mann Seville (balm already on its way)
  • Maggard Razors soap (B&B’s ambassador in Italy @Marco highly recommended, and he is never wrong)
  • Canada Soap Company (not technically US, but maybe someday :straight:)
All the best in your quest.

I hate to take this thread in a different direction (but I will - for a moment only, I hope), but I am curious what after shave and/or balm fans of Mike's Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper would recommend.

I hate to take this thread in a different direction (but I will - for a moment only, I hope), but I am curious what after shave and/or balm fans of Mike's Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper would recommend.
No problem bud...

What are the best scents of Mike?

The two I used the most were

Lucky Tiger if I didn't want a lingering scent.

A TdH clone. While not an exact match. It paired well for me. I used Fine L'Orange Noir. But I'm not sure if you can find it anymore.

Hi @DavidN88, I see you are online.

As to Mike's, if you like lime his Lime is excellent though I do also add a vote for Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper. If you can get your hands on some, his Bay Rum is also really good.

Noble Otter--Lonestar and The Noir et Vanille.

Declaration Grooming--Yuzu Rose Patchouli.

B&M--Seville is good but for me, the best one is Le Grand Chypre.

A&E-- if you like apricot Apricity in K2e. Way too many choices here. Choose something in K2e or K2

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B, Sir DavidN88!!

There are great EU artisan soaps; have you tried any??
Thank you Sir!

I know they are, but the prices are way more expensive, and almost all of them, are non tallowed soaps. Which is a bit of a handicap to my taste. For the price of one Saponificio Varesino, or one Martin de Candre, I can buy almost 2 American artisan soaps, plus shipping. I want to buy some European soaps in the coming future, but for now, I want to fill all the "classics".

Top Bottom