What's new

Looking for Sandalwood Cologne Recommendations

I am looking for a good sandalwood cologne or EDT and would like to know what you guys like. I know that the Reviews have a decent number and the same goes for the Forums but having the data in one easy to view list would be very helpful.

Thanks,

I'm on the hunt for a good Sandalwood scent, too. The thing is, due to its high price & relative scarcity true Sandalwood EO isn't used very frequently. My base for a true, dry, woody Sandalwood is QED's EO-based soap. To my nose, most of the Sandalwoods out there don't smell anything like it, whether they're colognes, creams or soaps.

If any one has any suggestions for a true EO-based Sandalwood cologne, I'm all ears. (Excluding AoS, please. Not my cup of tea.)

Pfffft I do not even know what sandalwood smells like.

First there is the sandalwood of tam dao, very crisp, green but dry and cedar-like. AoS is nor far from here.
Then there is the warm well balanced oily sandalwood of C&S 88 and Santal Fragonard.
Then there is the spicy sandalwood from fragrances like egoiste and TRumpers.

OH! I almost forgot. Floris santal, the only santal it has is on the name. The actual Juice is just a less woody Envy - Gucci.

Sandalwood has so many interpretations and I am just lost. The Sandalwood EO vial I have is rather simple and creamy.

I've always been fond of Diptyque Tam Dao.

You're certainly not alone. The majority of the guys on this board love the stuff.

I bought a decant of it from The Perfumed Court a couple of months ago based on all the great press I'd read about it on this forum. Both my wife & I recoiled at the scent; it went straight into the garbage.

What can I say? :redface: The ol' "one man's meat..." adage is proven true, once again.

Well, I was going to mention Tam Dao and B&B but someone already has. B&B is the holy grail, IMO. If you can get your hands on that stuff, you're a lucky man and you have the honor of smelling what REAL sandalwood smells like. Along with pine (or similar evergreen), blue tansy, chocolate, neroli, etc. It's truly a masterpiece of scent, probably my favorite perfume ( referring to strength).

If you're not too snobby for an inexpensive fragrance, Elizabeth Arden Sandalwood is very, very good sandalwood interpretation. It opens somewhat loud with a huge burst of lavender, and then over time dries down into a very nice dry sandalwood. It's both intense and long-lasting with excellent sillage. One of my most inexpensive fragrances, and one of my most complimented (by both women AND men). It is discontinued but is available for very cheap from a variety of places online. I paid a little over $10 for my 3.4oz bottle.

Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood is nice, but very subtle and does not last on me. Geo F. Trumper is, to me, nothing reminiscent of sandalwood but it's a very nice fragrance in it's own right. Chanel Egoiste is another option, about the only sandalwood and vanilla that I like that isn't too feminine.

A while back I bought myself a very small bottle of authentic Santalum album (Mysore Sandalwood) and only use it for the most special occasions. As much of a sandalwood freak as I am, not very many interpretations come as close to the real thing as I'd like.

Well, I was going to mention Tam Dao and B&B but someone already has. B&B is the holy grail, IMO. If you can get your hands on that stuff, you're a lucky man and you have the honor of smelling what REAL sandalwood smells like. Along with pine (or similar evergreen), blue tansy, chocolate, neroli, etc. It's truly a masterpiece of scent, probably my favorite perfume ( referring to strength).

Oh SURE ... go ahead. Rub it in! YOU have the B&B cologne & I DON'T! <grumble grumble grumble> :mad: :tongue_sm

I have a tub of the B&B soap. After using it once, I bought 2 B&B shave sticks as well. And the other day, I honestly considered rubbing some of the shave stick onto my chest before leaving for work just to be able to smell the stuff for the rest of the day.

Sanity prevailed, however. :biggrin:

If you're not too snobby for an inexpensive fragrance,

You trying to tell me something??

Elizabeth Arden Sandalwood is very, very good sandalwood interpretation. It opens somewhat loud with a huge burst of lavender, and then over time dries down into a very nice dry sandalwood. It's both intense and long-lasting with excellent sillage. One of my most inexpensive fragrances, and one of my most complimented (by both women AND men). It is discontinued but is available for very cheap from a variety of places online. I paid a little over $10 for my 3.4oz bottle.

That actually sounds really interesting. I'll look for it, and thanks for the tip!

A while back I bought myself a very small bottle of authentic Santalum album (Mysore Sandalwood) and only use it for the most special occasions. As much of a sandalwood freak as I am, not very many interpretations come as close to the real thing as I'd like.

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. Funny -- I recently bought a small bottle of authentic Sandalwood EO too. Do you apply it neat? Or do you mix it with a carrier oil, like Sweet Almond or Fractionated Coconut, first?

Thanks for the reply!

- Evan

AOS Sandalwood is very nice.
Also....give DRHarris Sandalwood aftershave a try.....it can work well as an EDT.

For those fortunate few, Floris Sandalwood. That, and Tam Dao. When I wear either one I feel like I just stepped out of a cedar wood chipping factory, but in a good way.

Floris Sandalwood is good but it has little lasting power on me. I still absolutely love the fragrance, and unlike others who smell nothing at first (topnotes of many colognes do not appear on me) it jumps off my skin at first but doesn't last very long. If it weren't for this, I'd have a full bottle. It is, however, a really great sandalwood. I'm not sure if they use authentic EO or not, but it's close. Tam Dao is excellent :w00t::w00t:. One of my favorite frags, and a favorite when I want to add some sandalwood in with another scent (Diptyque Tam Dao + Penhaligon's Elisabethan Rose is amazing).

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Floris - unfortunately hard to come by.
Tam Dao - very similar to Floris and pricey.
C&E - very nice Sandalwood and for $42 it's not cheap, but it's not over the top and a nice interpretation of Sandalwood.
Trumper - it is certainly a variation on the Sandalwood theme. Nevertheless, I enjoy it. It starts out a citrusy top-note but dries down nicely and then the Sandalwood really comes through.

Top Bottom