What's new

New Girlfriend doesn't like my cologne - need some "clean" smelling recommendations

I don't use after shaves nor cologne. Shower ay least twice daily. Face is washed twice also daily. The shaves and washes always are followed by toners, aloe,serums, face oils & moisturizers(very light naturally scents.
For me, I rather invest in taking care or my face and hygiene.
Other than expensive masking aftershaves and colognes. Results, told by others is a clean fresh scent..
Works for me, no girl friend but have been married for 38 years...
So I hope you find something that satisfy you and the gf.
BFX

Much like the title says, I have a new (younger) girlfriend who doesn't like my Creed Aventus (and my FINE Platinum for that matter). She likes 'clean' smelling colognes if that helps and I'm open to not super expensive recommendations that aren't "Cool Water"

Thanks!

The pineapple note in Creed Aventus isn't for everyone. For clean, the Omani [silver] frankincense in Amouage Jubilation XXV is hard to beat.

I love fresh and aquatic scents. I would suggest:
Versace pour homme (already recommended)
Dylan blue
Rasasi Hawas
Azaro chrome extreme
Polo blue (already suggested)
Acqua di Gio (profundo) — this is my top choice

Go to fragrantica and use their find a fragrance option. I have all the above other than Dylan blue.
If you want to get more unique, order some decants from a place like decantx. Feel free to ask me for other more unique options…

Much like the title says, I have a new (younger) girlfriend who doesn't like my Creed Aventus (and my FINE Platinum for that matter). She likes 'clean' smelling colognes if that helps and I'm open to not super expensive recommendations that aren't "Cool Water"

Thanks!
Later batches Guerlain Imperiale smell to me just like Mr. Clean before settling down to something akin to the classic citrus before disappearing completely.

Leave the girl. Take the Aventus.

image028.png

I agree with those who have suggested you take her shopping and check out what scents she likes and get an idea of 2 or 3 thinking as someone else hinted/suggested at: seasonality.

Personally, I can't stomach, I mean nasal, any commercial colognes/aftershaves. I find them generally too overpowering. I'm very sensitive to chemically based, strong scented products: so I steer clear.

Even with shave soap I have to be careful as I could end up with a headache rather quickly. To date the best fragranced shave soap I have are the two rose varieties from Sudsy Soapery. I also risked getting PAAs Cane and for the most part it is okay too, though there is at least one note that could be problem had it been more heavily included. These are "clean" enough scent wise that I enjoy without issue.

Clearly you are into your gal. I've done this with a couple of women I've had in my life. I DIY'd a scent for her based upon one note she liked. In one case it was jasmine and in the other rose. I also creaeted a scent for myself that they liked. All end products were mutually agreed upon.

A trip to the health food store to sniff essential oils and then played around with blending these to find a unique result. I usually don't go more than three notes and often keep to two. It can a be a fun project if you're up for a bit of challenge and generally speaking you'll get something no one else will be wearing.

I agree with those who have suggested you take her shopping and check out what scents she likes and get an idea of 2 or 3 thinking as someone else hinted/suggested at: seasonality.

Personally, I can't stomach, I mean nasal, any commercial colognes/aftershaves. I find them generally too overpowering. I'm very sensitive to chemically based, strong scented products: so I steer clear.

Even with shave soap I have to be careful as I could end up with a headache rather quickly. To date the best fragranced shave soap I have are the two rose varieties from Sudsy Soapery. I also risked getting PAAs Cane and for the most part it is okay too, though there is at least one note that could be problem had it been more heavily included. These are "clean" enough scent wise that I enjoy without issue.

Clearly you are into your gal. I've done this with a couple of women I've had in my life. I DIY'd a scent for her based upon one note she liked. In one case it was jasmine and in the other rose. I also creaeted a scent for myself that they liked. All end products were mutually agreed upon.

A trip to the health food store to sniff essential oils and then played around with blending these to find a unique result. I usually don't go more than three notes and often keep to two. It chemical scents. Would you mind sharing some can a be a fun project if you're up for a bit of challenge and generally speaking you'll get something no one else will be wearing.
I am similar to you in sensitivity to chemical scents. Would you mind sharing some of your “recipes” for essential oil blends that have turned out well? Thanks

I am similar to you in sensitivity to chemical scents. Would you mind sharing some of your “recipes” for essential oil blends that have turned out well? Thanks
The approach I use is relatively simple.

1. Find a single note you like: i.e.: Patchouli, Lavender, Cypress, Black Spruce, Cedar, etc...
2. Find another note you like: i.e.: Jasmine, Myrhh, Frankincense, Chamomille (you get the idea.)
3. Try 1:1, 1:2, 1:3 and only do this experiment using drops.

It doesn't take a whole lot to find the differences as you use more of one compared to the other.

My go to for years was a blend of Patchouli and Lavender that almost unanimoulsy was met with, "Gee you smell good what are you wearing?" Unfortunately, something shifted in me, hormonally I think and I couldn't/didn't want to wear the patchouli any longer. And since dropping it, I've not worn anything else except some Black Spruce that was gifted to me by a friend. It was blended with another tree scent, some sort of pine I think, I don't honestly recall.

My whole approach essentially is to create something that resonnates well with my chemistry and lifts my spirit. The patch/lav blend I created did that for years.

I really like this company (I've zero affiliation): Hopewell Essential Oils - Premium Quality Essential Oils for Health and Wellness - https://hopewelloils.com/

I think they've excellent quality products.

I would however encourage you to start with a local health food store and test single notes to zero in on what you might like, play around a bit and when you've landed on something, then purchase better quality oils.

One last thought and something of a caution. I never had an issue using the essential oils directly on my skin with no carrier oil. When you research the use of essential oils you'll need to look for how these might react with your skin without a carrier oil. Some eos can cause your skin to be hyper-reactive to UV radation, some may cause burning, induce a rash.

You'll want to look into a neutral carrier, perhaps sweet almond (if memory serves this is pretty light bodied) to carrier the oil. You also do not need alot of an eo: so you won't be "splashing" it on your face as you would an aftershave, you'd be using a couple of drops on your wrist pulse points.

You could of course make a splash, perhaps using witchhazel, though I've not done this myself.

Hope the foregoing helps.

Stink well!!!

"Clean" is vague, but usually refers to either fougere or citrus fragrances.

I would second vetiver (either Creed or Guerlaine) and Acqua Di Parma.

If your girlfriend isn't averse to citronella, she might like 4711 Kolnisch Wasser.

Although, to me, it smells like a lot of sunscreens out there.

1713407787619.png

PdM Sedley
MFK Aqua Universalis
MFK Gentle Fluidity Silver

These are the three least offensive and clean fragrances I can think of at the moment.

Thanks!
Try Caron Homme or Eight & Bob

Top Bottom