What's new

Looking for Natural A/S anyone try Aubrey Organics or Miessence?

I'm looking for an all natural A/S, after hours of searching I found 2 different brands that are truly all natural, allot of the products that claim to be natural really aren't. Aubrey Organics is the first one, and they have three different scents.

Spice Island
Tropical, spicy scent with notes of bay rum, patchouli, nutmeg and vetiver.

North Woods
A classic woodland fragrance, cool and invigorating.

and City Rhythms
Sophisticated scent with hints of cedar, sandalwood and bergamot

I also found another company called Miessence but there A/S balm is $20.95.

Just wondering if anyone has tried any of these and can comment on them

My wife & I try to go the natural/organic route when we can, and she really likes to buy from allnaturalcosmetics.com - they have a decent array of men's skin care & shaving. They also send samples if you wish to try before you buy.

The Miessence soothing aftershave smells great but it didn't give me the right level of moisturization after my shave, especially when I wear a buttoned collar and necktie every day. I tried the Herban Cowboy aftershave lotion when I was in our local organic food store and really like it. So there's something to consider as well. If you can get by on an aftershave balm alone, then the Miessence may be for you. Get a sample first.

Aubrey makes some good stuff, but for some reason the consistency/texture/quality of some products just aren't great. I didn't even bother trying that stuff, so I can only go on what I've seen my wife try.

Just curious - what are you using for shaving soap?

Just curious - what are you using for shaving soap?

Right now I have both Toms of Maine Mint Cream (the Calendula set my face on fire), and for soap I bought some Van Der Hagen. I'm definitely looking for other more natural options.

I suffer from chemical sensitivity hence the all natural madness, I've been trying to find deodorant that doesn't irritate me as well, I been through over 20-30 supposed natural deodorants to no avail. I just ordered the Miessence aroma free the other day so I hope that works for me, if not I don't think there is any other brand to try.

Mama Bear sells a great all-natural unscented shaving soap, and with your sensitivities, I'd give that a shot. It's great. I would recommend the stuff I'm getting from a local soapmaker, but I can't find that particular soap on their website. I'll ask next time I'm there.

I would recommend the stuff I'm getting from a local soapmaker, but I can't find that particular soap on their website. I'll ask next time I'm there.

Cool, thanks :smile:

Also what do you use in the shower? I been using Clearly Natural Glycerin (unscented) for the last couple years, I don't know if they changed something (they got bought out in 2006) or what but thats starting to irritate my skin.

Dennis, have you tried using an alum block or a crystal for deodorant? I have been using an alum block since last fall and will never go back to any kind of deodorant or antipersperant ever again, I love the alum block. It works great and I have never felt cleaner. Also, the darn thing is almost all still there even tho I use it every day, it has hardly shrunk at all! I couldn't be happier.

I am a miessence Representative and thought I might be of some help. All the ingredients are organic - most certified. My husband loves it. As a customer of ONE Group/Miessence, only your FIRST order is full price. You then receive a 10% discount on all future orders and when you accrue 150 points, you receive 20% off the next order. Shipping is a low flat rate of $4.95 and FREE over $100 - globally. ONE Group also offers a 15 day Money-Back guarantee from the day your order arrives. If for any reason you are not satisfied, you may replace or return for a full refund.

miessence products have NO artificial colors, preservatives, additives, textures, fillers, fragrances or harmful synthetic chemicals and are 100% beneficial to your skin. They are certified organic to food grade standards and grown, cultivated and harvested without the use of any "cides".

Hope this helps. Please feel free to see my information with a full ingredient directory at www.onewithearth.mionegroup.com.

To your health!

Blessings,
Candy, ONEwithEarth Organics
for health. for life. for earth.

Dennis, have you tried using an alum block or a crystal for deodorant? I have been using an alum block since last fall and will never go back to any kind of deodorant or antipersperant ever again, I love the alum block. It works great and I have never felt cleaner. Also, the darn thing is almost all still there even tho I use it every day, it has hardly shrunk at all! I couldn't be happier.

Hello Sue :smile: I been using the Alum (Crystal) for about 3-4 months now, and been breaking out from it as well. I just kept using it because I couldn't find anything else.

I am a miessence Representative and thought I might be of some help. All the ingredients are organic - most certified. My husband loves it. As a customer of ONE Group/Miessence, only your FIRST order is full price. You then receive a 10% discount on all future orders and when you accrue 150 points, you receive 20% off the next order. Shipping is a low flat rate of $4.95 and FREE over $100 - globally. ONE Group also offers a 15 day Money-Back guarantee from the day your order arrives. If for any reason you are not satisfied, you may replace or return for a full refund.

miessence products have NO artificial colors, preservatives, additives, textures, fillers, fragrances or harmful synthetic chemicals and are 100% beneficial to your skin. They are certified organic to food grade standards and grown, cultivated and harvested without the use of any "cides".

Hope this helps. Please feel free to see my information with a full ingredient directory at www.onewithearth.mionegroup.com.

To your health!

Blessings,
Candy, ONEwithEarth Organics
for health. for life. for earth.

Thanks for the link Candy, the Miessence I ended up ordering on eBay few days ago, if it works out I'll start ordering from the link you provided :)

You're welcome, Dennis. If you would like to sample any of the other products first, please feel free to contact me. Enjoy your balm! :)

I have tried Aubrey Spice Island and North Woods. The Spice Island reminds me of Burts Bees Bay Rum ASB but not as strong smelling or as effective. The North Woods has a stronger scent that for me (YMMV) lingers longer but dries down kind of "powdery" in a way that I can feel on my face. These products are OK but not fantastic enough for me that I would replenish them when they are finished. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Cool, thanks :smile:

Also what do you use in the shower? I been using Clearly Natural Glycerin (unscented) for the last couple years, I don't know if they changed something (they got bought out in 2006) or what but thats starting to irritate my skin.

We both use the Kiss My Face products. My wife uses the whole deal, I just use the exfoliating face wash and moisturizer. These can be bought at most any natural food store (EarthFare, Whole Foods, Garners, etc). So far so good. Before that, I was using the Nivea unscented stuff, but I've sort of renounced anything with parabens, minus my Proraso preshave.

I've sort of renounced anything with parabens, minus my Proraso preshave.

Yea thats the problem, the few Kiss My Face products I looked at had parabens and or other questionable ingredients. I just looked up there unscented Olive soap and it looks pretty good.

I just also found this site that has organic coconut based soap. The only ingredients are Saponified organic Virgin Coconut Oil

Have you tried Weleda products? The SC is decent enough, but not as good as Tom's IMHO. But the AS lotion (contains witch hazel) and, above all, the AS balm are truly superlative products, and their natural credentials cannot be faulted.

I think Speick and Musgo Real SCs contain artificial colours, but are free of preservatives. It's where you draw the line...

Have you tried Weleda products? The SC is decent enough, but not as good as Tom's IMHO. But the AS lotion (contains witch hazel) and, above all, the AS balm are truly superlative products, and their natural credentials cannot be faulted.

I think Speick and Musgo Real SCs contain artificial colours, but are free of preservatives. It's where you draw the line...

Yea thats another one I came across, but they use Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, which they claim is not absorbed into the skin and is naturally occurring in clay. But if you read the safety data on it, it can be a skin irritant and possibly carcinogenic and has Inhalation toxicity.

Yea thats another one I came across, but they use Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, which they claim is not absorbed into the skin and is naturally occurring in clay. But if you read the safety data on it, it can be a skin irritant and possibly carcinogenic and has Inhalation toxicity.

Blimey! Whom can one trust... As I say, it's where you draw the line. I can't say this bothers me, but I can see that some may want to exclude this.

That said, the page you point to is not enough to scare even a paraben paranoiac such as myself. For one thing, "inhalation toxicity" refers to such substances in a form both pure and dry (as dust, or at any rate, inhalable in some form). On the level of trace elements, I'm more wary of what's in the tap water I use to shave. I should add that I don't condone cruelty to animals in such tests... Sorry, now I'm nit-picking. And overly defensive of my beloved ASB.

For the record, here's what Weleda have to say. You have to hand them one thing: They're very scrupulous in listing their ingredients. I think the whole molecular thing also came up in the Alum controversy a while back...

Blimey! Whom can one trust... As I say, it's where you draw the line. I can't say this bothers me, but I can see that some may want to exclude this.

That said, the page you point to is not enough to scare even a paraben paranoiac such as myself. On the level of trace elements, I'm more wary of what's in the tap water I use to shave. I should add that I don't condone cruelty to animals in such tests... Sorry, now I'm nit-picking.

For the record, here's what Weleda have to say. You have to hand them one thing: They're very scrupulous in listing their ingredients. I think the whole molecular thing also came up in the Alum controversy a while back...

Thanks for the link Joe, I read that, I'm not trying to be paranoid per-se, I just haven't had a good track record with alum. I been using one of those Alum salt deodorants for a few months and it's irritating my skin some kind of bad.

Thanks for the link Joe, I read that, I'm not trying to be paranoid per-se, I just haven't had a good track record with alum. I been using one of those Alum salt deodorants for a few months and it's irritating my skin some kind of bad.

In which case I defer to your judgement, Dennis: You have sound reason to be cautious with alum (whereas I am the paranoiac!).

The makers of Crystal Deodorant say the same thing about absorption of aluminium as does Weleda, btw.

I have used both the Aubrey Spice Island and North Woods and have been pleasantly surprised. I bought them in Whole Foods on a whim, so my expectations were low, but I have to say that they are both keepers. My usual line-up consists of Aqua Velva Classic, Pinaud Bay Rum, Booster Polar Ice, Booster Lilac, Musgo Real, but some how thee two tree-hugging products krept in under the radar: serendipity

In the UK, Neals Yard Remedies produce an extensive range of cosmetics, which must be THE most natural stuff commercially available, they all work very well and have lovely scents with no synthetic aromas- just EO's. I don't know about availability in the US though.

In the UK, Neals Yard Remedies produce an extensive range of cosmetics, which must be THE most natural stuff commercially available, they all work very well and have lovely scents with no synthetic aromas- just EO's. I don't know about availability in the US though.

Thanks for the info, I just looked it up, they do have a US site. The Aftershave contains a very questionable ingredient phenoxyethanol. It may work for some with less severe sensitivities and don't mind a few additives.

According to the MSDS (Material Safety Data sheets) phenoxyethanol: Harmful if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through the skin. May cause reproductive defects. Severe eye and skin irritant.

Top Bottom