What's new

My year long aftershave adventure: Part 4 - Woody/Leather

Several winners here.

Pinaud Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods: This is one of three new aftershaves Pinaud introduced late last year that have a liquor theme. Whiskey Woods is described as a blend of tobacco, whiskey, and bergamot. The whiskey is very understated, so don't worry about smelling like a drunk. Tobacco is more prominent and is balanced by a hint of citrus from the bergamot. It is not overpowering, yet lasts a fair while. This quickly became one of my favorite fall aftershaves. Images of late October Saturdays, jeans and a flannel shirt, and collecting wood for the fireplace come to mind. In some ways it reminds me of the smell of an oak woodpile blended with a humidor.

Pinaud Clubman Reserve Gent's Gin: The second in this series of new Pinaud offerings. Juniper, the berries of which are the primary flavor of gin, and red cedar are the featured scents. This is balanced by a hint of lime. This combination, while definitely woody, is actually bright, refreshing, sophisticated, and a great year round choice. This is my wife's favorite aftershave on me. Twice, and unsolicited, she made a point to give her wholehearted approval.

Pinaud Special Reserve: Special Reserve is one of Pinaud's classic old school aftershaves. Deep, rich, oiled leather is featured here. I don't know how else to describe it. Wearing this I feel I should be sitting in an overstuffed leather chair next to a massive fireplace in a mansion talking to Sherlock Holmes. Special Reserve is labeled as an aftershave/cologne. I think it is more cologne as it is strong and long lasting. The first time I used this I splashed it on liberally like any other aftershave. I had to drive with the windows open because I was overpowering myself. Used sparingly, however, Special Reserve is very nice indeed.

Master Challenge: Challenge is another cedar aftershave, but at the opposite end of the spectrum from Gent's Gin. Instead of fresh juniper and lime, this cedar blends with leather and a hint of orange. The scent is initially reminiscent of Pinaud's Special Reserve. But the leather fades in dry down and the cedar comes center stage. Beneath it all I think there is a musk background. Challenge is a true aftershave with glycerin. Feels great and does not overpower or last all day. A great weekend in the winter aftershave.

Aubrey Organics City Rhythms: This was loaned to me by a friend. The label describes it as cedar, sandalwood, and bergamot. Based on that I should have liked it, but there was something else that was off putting to me. I think there is also some patchouli in there and I hate patchouli. YMMV. On the other hand there are lots of face goodies like witch hazel, aloe, and glycerin to make for a great post shave feel. I believe this AS has been discontinued.

Next segment will be the spice category in a couple of days.

Shave early, shave often.

As someone who recently branched out into a few other aftershaves, I just want to say thank you for taking the time to do these reviews. They're concise, informative, and easy for a scent novice like me to understand. Following all of your recent reviews with interest!

Great Reviews. I also find Whiskey Woods and Gents Gin very pleasant. I have added them to my rotation. Clubman-Reserve-Aftershave_2048x2048.jpg

If you stumble across Master Champagne, it would fit in this category. It's another woody/amber, very light. I believe this one is alcohol free. I'll always have it, it pairs well with scents like Quorum Silver and Halston Man Amber.

TOBS sandalwood would fit this category nicely too. I’d also be curious on OPs take on Proraso red aftershave. (I’ve not yet used it but I imagine it fits this grouping as well).

@RhoCurly another set of superlative reviews! Thanks again for letting me try out the new Pinaud offerings, I totally agree with your reviews on them. The wifey really enjoys the Gentleman’s Gin too.
I can see why you might not be so into the Aubrey Organics City Rhythms, considering it is primarily composed of essential oils and is Witch hazel based.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still looking for a very leather smelling AS. I tried PAA's Tombstone and thought it was rather stinky. Kind of a lot of tobacco and kind of a chemical type scent that might mimic tanned leather if you were in the right state of mind.

I also tried Reef Point's Aviator. This smells quite a bit like tanned leather, but *definitely* has a kind of chemical flavor to it. It also smells a bit like a new car. A reviewer on Youtube described it as smelling like "new uniforms". It's leathery, but it doesn't have that sweet heady scent that you get from a leather couch or jacket. I still use it, but I would really like to find a more realistic leather scented AS.

Brian.

I'm still looking for a very leather smelling AS. I tried PAA's Tombstone and thought it was rather stinky. Kind of a lot of tobacco and kind of a chemical type scent that might mimic tanned leather if you were in the right state of mind.

I also tried Reef Point's Aviator. This smells quite a bit like tanned leather, but *definitely* has a kind of chemical flavor to it. It also smells a bit like a new car. A reviewer on Youtube described it as smelling like "new uniforms". It's leathery, but it doesn't have that sweet heady scent that you get from a leather couch or jacket. I still use it, but I would really like to find a more realistic leather scented AS.

Brian.
Vintage Avon Leather. Wonderful scent.

Top Bottom