What's new

Looking for most aggressive double edge safety razor available

If you use no shaving lubricant whatsoever - not even water, and you shave "dry," you risk razor burn, and you will dull your razor blades very quickly.
I disagree and cite personal experience. I shaved completely dry for probably a decade using a Gillette Rocket and either Wilkinson Sword or Gillette pharmacy blades. I shaved 6 days a week and changed my blade on the first of every month, so about 25 shaves per blade. Never got a nick, weeper, or irritation.

I have a thick, coarse, but easy to cut Mediterranean beard, and an not prone to irritation.

Nobody has mentioned an SE yet. Consider an Ever-Ready 1924 Shovelhead, which is the most aggressive razor I own (and I have a 2011 R41), but I find it smooth. Others will recommend the Ever-Ready 1914 Little Later Catcher, or GEM Micromatic Open Comb, both of which I find harsher. All are easily found for under $20, so they're cheap to try

I have a Future and on 6 it is very efficient but you need to watch the exposure and gap at that setting - the blade is just sitting there and if your technique is sloppy you can cops some juicy nicks.

The R41 I would say is about the same as the Future opened up to 5-6 Nothing much in it.

I will toss another option out there as one that can compete in terms of being efficient / aggressive with the pair above. Some may disagree but I found the Executive Shaving 'Braveheart' to be a very open razor. the gap to the bar is pretty big and I can vouch for it being a 'one pass wonder' to get you a DFS when you are in a hurry. I find it more of changeling to get to BBS and the cleanup pass tends to be more of a slow careful exercise not unlike a straight razor. This Razor sings like Sinatra as it cuts...very audible and very tactile.

The Braveheart has a heavy Stainless Steel handle and with the blade gap, you will learn what 'no pressure' means fairly smartly if you get sloppy.

Anyway...just throwing that out there as an alternative. The cost is a bit out there - 50 quid to play

Last edited:
I got bored so I purchased a futur clone on eBay. I must say it is giving me the best shaves of my life that's far. It definitely shaves a little bit closer than my futur. My main goal was to shave and not see any 5 o'clock shadow left on my chin or hairline. The Clone has definitely improved my shave in this area. The only other avenue I can see taking at this time for closer shave is to master a straight-edge blade.

Try using a shim both above & below your blade. Something you can try in both your Futur & the clone. Should give you increased efficiency & aggression, with the added advantage of additional rigidity.

I don't think R41 is as aggressive as Futur at 6. Many use R41 but i suspect not so many use Futur at 6.
Agree, at least for me the 2014 R41 I have is not as aggressive as my Futur on 6
To answer OP's question, I have found the following razors more blade forward, more aggressive, than the Futur -
Ikkon Shavecraft Tech, Charcoal Goods Level 3, and Timeless Bronze .78.
However you may find a more efficient shave with a razor that holds the blade more rigidly. A Timeless Stainless Steel .95 OC will hold that Feather so tight and rigid I am guessing you will find a more efficient, smoother, closer, less irritating shave even though the blade gap and blade forward are less than any of the others mentioned.

I've read many posts where someone got a new razor and got the best shave of their life. I've been curious if they do something differently with the new tool.

The thread was started in 2015 and the OP wanted a more aggressive tool. Now days the term aggressive is being replaced with efficient/effective, which I think is a better concept because nobody is asking to bleed, but to cut whiskers effectively.

I've learned over the past month ,since becoming more intentional with my shaving, that I can get the same shave with any of my burgeoning inventory. The Old Type might be more aggressive, but the results are the same as the Super Speed. Both are effective if used with a good blade. Both can provide a smooth face.

If you are using a Futur on 6, and not ending up with a face like a skating rink, you aren't doing it right. Sorry.

If you are getting good shaves, there really is nowhere else to go.

I say this because I was once in that spot: always pushing for more aggressive. Stupidly, because I had a face like glass from my Futur. The R41 was suggested, and I bought one, but it was pretty much a sideways move.

If you can handle that Futur on 6, and get close comfortable shaves, be glad. If you want to experiment around, have fun, but you are probably pretty much maxed out. To me the 2013 R11 was no more aggressive.

The new Ikon Tech is getting some pretty crazy reviews.

This. If you can shave with a Futur on 6 without using any type of soap or cream I would visit a dermatologist. There is something wrong with your skin :). I slice my face up with anything over 2 on a Futur.

I've read many posts where someone got a new razor and got the best shave of their life. I've been curious if they do something differently with the new tool.

The thread was started in 2015 and the OP wanted a more aggressive tool. Now days the term aggressive is being replaced with efficient/effective, which I think is a better concept because nobody is asking to bleed, but to cut whiskers effectively.

I've learned over the past month ,since becoming more intentional with my shaving, that I can get the same shave with any of my burgeoning inventory. The Old Type might be more aggressive, but the results are the same as the Super Speed. Both are effective if used with a good blade. Both can provide a smooth face.
You're a quick study. Took me longer but I find the same. Also, the razors that gave me trouble with nicks and weepers in the past no longer do. The blister pack for the styptic pencil I bought a few years ago still hasn't been opened. Feather blades purr, they don't hiss or bite.

This. If you can shave with a Futur on 6 without using any type of soap or cream I would visit a dermatologist. There is something wrong with your skin :). I slice my face up with anything over 2 on a Futur.
I find shaving in the shower works fine. Water is a great lubricant. First I wash my body and hair with soap. Sometimes I leave soap on my whiskers for a few minutes while washing everything else. Sometimes I don't bother. Either way, the steam softens up the whiskers nicely (mine are old, salt & pepper gray, and course). Then I shave. If there's any pulling or discomfort, I let the water run over the part of my face that's being shaved. That works as well as any soap. Of course YMMV.

Shaved with a Futur on 6 in this manner for years. Now I'm on to other razors. The Ikon Tech, 2011 R41, Fatips, a borrowed Floating Head, PAA BOCS, etc. Aggressive razors, every one. I still use only hot water, and I shave pretty much every day (with one of those razors or something similar).

Or you can try my grandpa technique...remove the plate, leave the blade and just screw the handle directly To the top.

Only ones I can think of are an Ikon Tech, R41, or Timeless Bronze OC.

I'm actually wondering what you technique is, if the Futur on 6 with a Feather doesn't yield BBS. Let me ask, is it perhaps a less than smooth feel when rubbing your hand over the shaven face, and not so much the efficiency at removing the hair? Some razors seem to excel at getting the barely there stubble that a DFS shave leaves behind. If that's the case, sometimes less is more. - My Timeless 95 OC (Bronze OC was just too much for my face), while super efficient, doesn't get that super short, barely there finish that my Rockwell can, even with plate 3/4.

Top Bottom