What's new

looking for knots more dense than TGN

I haven't seen any knots more dense than TGN.
Whipped Dog knots have good density, but take that for what it's worth, because I think TGN knots are too. TGN is top of the line in every way IMO.

A question for the more experienced who have also used high end brushes ....

Is it possible to increase the density of the TGN knot by simply reducing the diameter at the top of the handle i.e. squeezing it as opposed to letting it keep it's natural girth ? Or is this completely different to the effect on the Rooneys and Simpsons ?

Is it possible to increase the density of the TGN knot by simply reducing the diameter at the top of the handle i.e. squeezing it as opposed to letting it keep it's natural girth ? Or is this completely different to the effect on the Rooneys and Simpsons ?

after fondling a few brushes a little earlier, i was about to ask the same thing! let me add that you have phrased it extremely well, sir.

v.

Yeah I think you will find the short loft, silver tip more dense. But as xraygun suggested, you can order a Shavemac knot and that might be the best density option.

I am going to be trying shortening and choking up on a silver tip once my inbound shipment arrives BUT I don't have a Rooney or Simpson to compare it to *GRIN* and won't have one for a long t, hence my question. Hoping to keep the delicious softness of the silver tip and just add a bit more backbone and wall of hair feel.

whippeddog knots are pretty dense too. I just got a few 24mm finest knots that Larry ordered for me. The seem pretty dense. I have been wanting to try a shavemac though myself.

I agree the short loft silvertip is pretty dense. I also set a grade A pretty short and made the knot tight in the handle. Results.... a dense and soft knot!

I am going to be trying shortening and choking up on a silver tip once my inbound shipment arrives BUT I don't have a Rooney or Simpson to compare it to *GRIN* and won't have one for a long t, hence my question. Hoping to keep the delicious softness of the silver tip and just add a bit more backbone and wall of hair feel.

I find to do that you have to choke up a LOT. I don't think it is worth it as the brush will end up not blooming right :/ . Have you tried the extra hair versions of the TGN knots? (I think they have one XH silver tip and then a bunch of XH finest).

The Golden Nibs 30mm grade A silvertip is pretty dense and Massive.
proxy.php

I was very pleased with the 30mm ST-A's I got from TGN I set it at about 45mm and it is very dense, I'm sure you already know this but the loft at which you set your knot is a major factor the the brushes final density. When I first started making brushes I was setting the loft at about 55mm, now I like them at about 45mm.$IMG_0004.jpg$IMG_0008.jpg

OK, so I went up to TGN this past weekend. AMAZING set up Anthony has up there (though I know he is moving). He has a ton of stuff (I could have spent 3 hours in there). I got to check out two-band finest, silver tip, grade A silver tip, super silver tip and finally the super badger. All were great. I think the super silver tip is REALLY dense. The finest knots he has with extra hair also have great density. I ended up with a grade A silver tip and a two-band finest with extra hair. You'll be seeing them pre-bloom in my bamboo brush thread, and then it will be up to someone else to show you the two-band finest post bloom and I will be showing off the silver tip :) . Back to polishing the brushes so I can set the knots and show them off :) .

Top Bottom