What's new

Looking for info on ‘Personna’ Blades

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my writing. I do not believe all US made blue wrapped Personna sold as "labs" are the same. I had gotten a small quantity some time ago and they were great blades. I bought a 100 pack sold as "labs" in the same blue wrapper but they were not as good. Not saying they are bad, just not as good. The box said it was distributed from some beauty supply company.

I have never used the Personna Med Preps made by Acutec Blades in the USA. Both the Med Preps and Lab Blue blades are sold as 'Comfort coated" so I assume they are the same blades with some differences in sterilization. However, there are some folks who insist the Med Preps are superior blades. I am skeptical, but since I have not use the Med Preps, I cannot confirm one way or the other. The Med Preps are more expensive, so I do not see any reason to use them. Besides, I prefer the Platinum Chrome blades. They are more consistent in performance from the first shave to the last, at least for my beard.

Can anyone tell me if I need to start panic-buying (Personna) Crystal blades? I'm not a hoarder and I'm sure there are many other fine blades that out that serve me just as well, but... Gosh I love me some Crystals.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my writing. I do not believe all US made blue wrapped Personna sold as "labs" are the same. I had gotten a small quantity some time ago and they were great blades. I bought a 100 pack sold as "labs" in the same blue wrapper but they were not as good. Not saying they are bad, just not as good. The box said it was distributed from some beauty supply company.

I have never used the Personna Med Preps made by Acutec Blades in the USA. Both the Med Preps and Lab Blue blades are sold as 'Comfort coated" so I assume they are the same blades with some differences in sterilization. However, there are some folks who insist the Med Preps are superior blades. I am skeptical, but since I have not use the Med Preps, I cannot confirm one way or the other. The Med Preps are more expensive, so I do not see any reason to use them. Besides, I prefer the Platinum Chrome blades. They are more consistent in performance from the first shave to the last, at least for my beard.

Can anyone tell me if I need to start panic-buying (Personna) Crystal blades? I'm not a hoarder and I'm sure there are many other fine blades that out that serve me just as well, but... Gosh I love me some Crystals.
I would if you like them. They are still cheap and available and if they are indeed discontinued, Personna’s Israeli blades will likely go up in price.

I recently bought 200 Crystals and 700 Israeli Reds. For about $100, I am set for years. If they are rereleased down the road, cool. They will still get used.

I would if you like them. They are still cheap and available and if they are indeed discontinued, Personna’s Israeli blades will likely go up in price.
Gah! Kinda what I was thinking... There's been a little bit of price drop on Amazon so I put a couple hundred in my cart this morning. Then I overthunked it and bailed with pulling the trigger.

There was a lot of razor blade development during the early 1960s. Some say that Wilkinson Sword was the first to develop the coated stainless steel razor blade in 1962, but they did not get it patented immediately. American Safety Razor came out with their own stainless steel version, sold under the Personna name. Schick also came out with their own version around the same time.

Gillette was the first to research coated razor blades. In 1960 they introduced the Gillette Super Blue blade which was silicone coated. In the process of development of that blade they had patented coating technology similar to that Wilkinson Sword had used in manufacture of their stainless steel blades. Thus, Wilkinson Sword had to pay royalties to Gillette for the coating technology.

It was only in August 1963 as customers switched to stainless steel blades offered by Wilkinson Sword, Personna and Schick did Gillette introduce their own coated stainless steel razor blades in response to a significant drop in Gillette market share.

While Gillette may have been the first to patent the coating technology used on razor blades, it is difficult to determine who was actually the first to apply coatings to stainless steel blades. It is pretty certain that Gillette was not the first to do so.

Yet in your earlier post you stated it as a fact that Personna invented the first polymer coated razor blade and that it was their patent.

One was the Crystal blades that were stamped with a patent number that referenced when Personna invented the very first polymer coated stainless steel blades.
Where are you getting your information from?

Both the Med Preps and Lab Blue blades are sold as 'Comfort coated" so I assume they are the same blades with some differences in sterilization.
Again, if you search the forums (and I'm too lazy right now to search for things that have been brought up countless times but have been buried and forgotten in the glut of (mis)information on this forum), you'll likely find that Personna says that the Meds go through an extra wash, I believe to remove oil and such off the blade, as I mentioned above. If it was sterilization, as people claim over and over, I would think that at least the box would have to be hermetically sealed to guarantee sterilization at time of delivery. In fact, I believe each blade would have to be hermetically sealed to guarantee sterilization at time of use. Otherwise, paying so much for sterilization at the time of manufacture would be a waste.

So, if the blades are arriving in paper boxes wrapped in paper that isn't airtight, sterilization at the factory would seem to be a superfluous step. Well, unless it really makes the blade feel and shave so much better. :)

Yet in your earlier post you stated it as a fact that Personna invented the first polymer coated razor blade and that it was their patent.

Where are you getting your information from?

Again, if you search the forums (and I'm too lazy right now to search for things that have been brought up countless times but have been buried and forgotten in the glut of (mis)information on this forum), you'll likely find that Personna says that the Meds go through an extra wash, I believe to remove oil and such off the blade, as I mentioned above. If it was sterilization, as people claim over and over, I would think that at least the box would have to be hermetically sealed to guarantee sterilization at time of delivery. In fact, I believe each blade would have to be hermetically sealed to guarantee sterilization at time of use. Otherwise, paying so much for sterilization at the time of manufacture would be a waste.

So, if the blades are arriving in paper boxes wrapped in paper that isn't airtight, sterilization at the factory would seem to be a superfluous step. Well, unless it really makes the blade feel and shave so much better. :)

While Personna may not have invented the first polymer coated stainless steel blade, neither did Gillette. You are correct that the patent number on the Crystal blades is a Gillette patent as Gillette was the first one to receive a patent on the process, but that research was related to carbon steel blades, not stainless.

Like I said, I never have used Med Prep blades and I have no intentions to do so. The Personna Comfort Coated (lab blues) are far from my favorite blade, so I am not going to pay a premium for Med Preps. Since I have not used Med Preps, I have no idea how they are packaged. Most of the double wrapped razor blades I have used are nearly airtight, but probably not sealed to sterile requirements. Perhaps the blades are disinfected rather than sterilized, but I do not work for Acutec Blades, so I do not have access to their process.

While Personna may not have invented the first polymer coated stainless steel blade, neither did Gillette.
Yet, you stated it as a fact that Personna invented the polymer stainless steel blade.
One was the Crystal blades that were stamped with a patent number that referenced when Personna invented the very first polymer coated stainless steel blades.
Where do you get your information?

How do you know Gillette didn't invent the first polymer coated blade if you don't know who did?

Perhaps the blades are disinfected rather than sterilized, but I do not work for Acutec Blades, so I do not have access to their process.
Perhaps, as has been mentioned at least a couple of times, they go through a wash to remove oil and such from the blade as people who have corresponded with Personna claim. I believe most blades have a thin coating of oil from the manufacturing process and/or to protect the blades after manufacture that may not be desirable for hospital use.

Do you have reason not to believe what people who have corresponded with Personna said? Have you attempted to ask someone who does work for Personna yourself?

I almost missed this statement:
[...] but that research was related to carbon steel blades, not stainless.
Actually, no, it relates to both.

The faces or sides of some such cutting edges extend back from the edge for a distance upto as muchv astOJl inch or even more. Each face need notlbe .asingle planaruninterrupted continuous blade edgeuis composed may be either carbon steel or hardenable stainless steel.
In some cases, however, particularly with stainless steel blades, some softening or tempering of the blades can be tolerated since its disadvantages are more than offset by the improvement'in shavingeifectiveness brought about by the present invention
Not to mention, the Personna blades that used that patent were stainless steel. You even used that fact to claim that Personna invented the polymer coated stainless steel blade.

So I believe you should find that the patent is applicable to stainless steel blades as it states, and in fact it is processes like this that made SS blades practical.

Last edited:
Here is a decade old example of someone who corresponded with Personna on the matterof Labs vs. Meds. I believe we could agree that he is a respected member of the forum, a moderator also.

Well I got my first response from Electron Microscopy Sciences. According to them, in their exact words "Thank you. These are the same exact blades."

If I hear anything from American Safety Razor Company I will let you know.
Today, I received an e-mail from a regional sales manager for the medical division of the Personna American Safety Razor Co. and also had a follow up telephone conversation with a a representative from the medical division.

In brief, the two blades in question (the Robbins and EMS blade) are identical except that the Robbins blade goes through an additional "cleaning up" process that is required for hospital use. The cleaning up process does not change the way the blade shaves.
I think if you follow the thread you will find that "Robbins" and "EMS" are the source for his Med Prep and Lab Blue blades respectively.
As I indicated previously, the Lab Blades and the Medical Prep Blades are the same blade except that the Medical Prep blades go through an extra cleaning process that is needed for hospital use. A friend and I have tried both blades and neither of us can see any difference in shaving in the performance of either of the blades.
I believe a diligent search would bring up other like posts. But credible posts often seem to quickly get buried.

Last edited:
Top Bottom