What's new

Medical Prep Personna

Well I got my first response from Electron Microscopy Sciences. According to them, in their exact words "Thank you. These are the same exact blades."

If I hear anything from American Safety Razor Company I will let you know.

If that is indeed so, $44 + shipping for 250 blades is :tongue_sm. Of course, they don't ship overseas (either), but it's good to know there are gentlemen out there who are willing to help out. :001_smile

I suppose shipping for 250 blades wouldn't be that much more than 100? No use getting too excited of course until I've found out if these work better for me than Feathers.

Last edited:
I ordered 250 from E.M.S. yesterday for $44 plus actual parcel post shipping. I hope they work at least as well as the red pack IP's.

Last edited:
As I previously posted, I wrote to both EMS and Personna concerning the Robbins blade and the EMS blade.

Today, I received an e-mail from a regional sales manager for the medical division of the Personna American Safety Razor Co. and also had a follow up telephone conversation with a a representative from the medical division.

In brief, the two blades in question (the Robbins and EMS blade) are identical except that the Robbins blade goes through an additional "cleaning up" process that is required for hospital use. The cleaning up process does not change the way the blade shaves.

I asked why the two blades and the answer is that the same blade is made by two different divisions. The Robbins blade is made by the Medical Division while the EMS blade is made by the "industrial" division, which sells it to labs. However, the process for making the two blades is the same and the blades for all practical purposes are identical.

Supposedly, someone from the industrial division will contact me within the next two days.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the prompt answer I received from Personna.

The representative was surprised that many of us like to shave with these blades and I said that Personna is missing out on some sales to the public since they sell their regular products from their website but not the medical blades. She said the medical blades are sold to distributors in lots of 1,000 or more.

In any event I had my second shave with the EMS blade and as I indicated yesterday could see no difference in the shave. As far as I am concerned they are both excellent blades.

I traded with my friend some of my Robbins blades for his EMS blades and we will both be shaving with both to see if we can see any difference.

As I previously posted, I wrote to both EMS and Personna concerning the Robbins blade and the EMS blade.

Today, I received an e-mail from a regional sales manager for the medical division of the Personna American Safety Razor Co. and also had a follow up telephone conversation with a a representative from the medical division.

In brief, the two blades in question (the Robbins and EMS blade) are identical except that the Robbins blade goes through an additional "cleaning up" process that is required for hospital use. The cleaning up process does not change the way the blade shaves.

I asked why the two blades and the answer is that the same blade is made by two different divisions. The Robbins blade is made by the Medical Division while the EMS blade is made by the "industrial" division, which sells it to labs. However, the process for making the two blades is the same and the blades for all practical purposes are identical.

Supposedly, someone from the industrial division will contact me within the next two days.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the prompt answer I received from Personna.

The representative was surprised that many of us like to shave with these blades and I said that Personna is missing out on some sales to the public since they sell their regular products from their website but not the medical blades. She said the medical blades are sold to distributors in lots of 1,000 or more.

In any event I had my second shave with the EMS blade and as I indicated yesterday could see no difference in the shave. As far as I am concerned they are both excellent blades.

I traded with my friend some of my Robbins blades for his EMS blades and we will both be shaving with both to see if we can see any difference.

Ah, the extra cleaning process. That is what I meant by the hospital having more stringent measures, the blades would naturally have to be cleaner. The blades are the same though, which is interesting. Thank you for your excellent research though! You have been most helpful in solving this matter. :thumbup:

My blades just arrived!

Can't wait to start my trial in the morning.

First up is my Fatboy.

proxy.php

I've shaved DE all week and so far these are nice in my Merkur 39C. The Hospital Personna has four shaves on it and isn't pulling yet. For me this outlasts an Astra, Red IP, or Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow. Fairly smooth so far.

Additional comments reserved until I go through at least two of them.

Well, to everyone buying the ones marked For Hospital Use, I'd like to try some.. so if you're willing to part with about 5 or 10 blades, PM me and we can make arrangements via PayPal.

As posted earlier in the thread I also would like to try these before committing to a quantity. If you would not not mind selling 5 or 10 please pm me!

Since these seem to be the talk of the town here lately, I decided to place an order from EMS as well - can't wait for them to arrive!

Do you guys know any other online sources for those Personna Supers besides Electron Microscopy Sciences? I sent them an e-mail but it seems they only ship within the US.

Top Bottom