What's new

Looking For help honing.

Slash,
Thank you very much with the additional instructions, and the explanations making clear why you recommend that which you do. A couple of questions:
  1. Could you explain the terms TPT, TNT, HHT (Heel, Heel, Toe?) and YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary?)?
  2. While I've a basement full of DIY tools, I've not ever used the 3u, 1u abrasive papers so am not familiar with them. I'd be interested in trying them. Where could I get them? What are tried and true brands/types. Could you point me to a preferred video tutorial on the proper use of such paper for sharpening straight razors?
  3. Your recommendation for an affordable electronic microscope? What I've seen on Amazon seem pretty cheaply made.
Thank you once again
DSP Guy

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Slash,
Thank you very much with the additional instructions, and the explanations making clear why you recommend that which you do. A couple of questions:
  1. Could you explain the terms TPT, TNT, HHT (Heel, Heel, Toe?) and YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary?)?
  2. While I've a basement full of DIY tools, I've not ever used the 3u, 1u abrasive papers so am not familiar with them. I'd be interested in trying them. Where could I get them? What are tried and true brands/types. Could you point me to a preferred video tutorial on the proper use of such paper for sharpening straight razors?
  3. Your recommendation for an affordable electronic microscope? What I've seen on Amazon seem pretty cheaply made.
Thank you once again
DSP Guy

No no no no do not get lapping PAPER or POLISHING PAPER or POLISHING FILM or FINISHING FILM or any other dodge-around misleadingly named thing that is not L A P P I N G F I L M. You can get film online. Amazon. Or look up nanolaptech.com or thorlabs. Read the Lapping Film thread. TPT is Thumb Pad Test. TNT is Thumbnail Test. HHT is Hanging Hair Test. In the Honing subforum there is a sticky called Newbie Honing Compendium and everything you need is in there. Everything. Already there. Read the whole thing, all linked threads. from start to finish. It is all there, what we call The Method. You don't have to learn, just follow instructions perfectly and exactly and you will succeed.

Again, NO PAPER. PAPER >< FILM. POLISHING >< LAPPING. You want LAPPING FILM, no substitutes. If they don't call it lapping film they are simply selling something that is NOT lapping film, hoping people will buy it anyway.

As for USB microscopes, cheaply made is the norm. That's because cheaply made works just fine. Just look for about 100 to 200x magnification (which will actually in real life be about half that) and you are good to go. If you want to spend some more money you can spring for a laboratory or student type microscope and a USB eyepiece for it. There are also clip-on microscopes that attach to your phone. Those three options allow you to take pics. You can also use a very strong magnifying glass or a loupe, if pics are not important. In fact the wide field of view from a 4x to 10x magnifying glass is perfect for honing if you don't want pics.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Friends,
I'm looking to find someone in the Raleigh, NC area who has expertise in straight razor sharpening. I recently purchased an old Geneva Cutlery half hollow razor for $25 off of Craigslist to restore. While I've got lots of DIY skills, I'm not experienced in straight razor restoration. That generally doesn't stop me. I plow ahead, make some progress, make some mistakes, and do better the next time.

Below is an image of the razor as I bought it. You can see that the cutting edge is far from straight. Wide at the ends and narrow in the middle. Wider at the toe end than at the heel end. I can't image how you'd go about honing something like that. The bevels were not flat. It would rock on both sides when put on a flat piece of granite. Also it was very tarnished and notably pitted.
View attachment 1063401

Below is after I straightened the shaving edge, set the bevels, and generally cleaned it up as best I could without spending too many hours on it. (The wife let's me know that there are other things to be done in the house.) I got most of the pitting smoothed over, and was able to buff it to an acceptably usable form. And I removed the curve out of the cutting edge by grinding it flat on a 220 stone. It's now just a shade over 5/8". The bevels on both sides now lay flat on a granite surface. The bevel angle is about 16 degrees, a shade under what I'd like it to be. But close enough, I'd think. I'd say not too too bad for my first effort.
View attachment 1063402

The problem is this - No matter how many times I try to sharpen it, I can't get it sharp enough to shave. It cuts paper, but doesn't come close to cutting whiskers. Not even arm or leg hair. I've watched a number of videos on honing, but I must be doing something wrong. I started with 220, followed by 1000, both whetstones. Unfortunately, I don't have a whetstone in between. I went back and tried 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper on my granite surface between the two, but that didn't help. I do have 3000, 6000, and 8000 whetstones and have tried them in the proper sequence, but with no improvement. But I had read that those would be more for polishing the edge as opposed to sharpening it. I've tried stropping it as well without much improvement. I shined a light directly at the edge to see if there is a reflection. At first I was seeing one, but now I think I've improved my technique somewhat as I'm no longer seeing it. So it can't be a blatantly blunt edge.

Sooooo.... I think I need someone with some experience looking over my shoulder to let me know what mistake (or mistakes) I keep repeating in the process. And that would require someone in the Raleigh, NC region. I've googled around and haven't been able to come up with any names. If someone knows of a straight razor sharpening/honing expert in the Raleigh region, I'd appreciate you referring me to him or her.

Or if you've discerned from my description above what I'm doing wrong, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.
DSPGuy
I strongly recommend lapping film and that you read the Honing Compendium For Newbies. Follow the instructions precisely and you will be getting superb edges in a week or two. In my experience, it is better than stones - very precise and no flattening of stones required. You can find lapping film on eBay. I recommend the seller moneyfightinghongcong. He is in the US and sells 3M film. The set has every grit you will need. You can also get an inexpensive shavette to keep working on your shaving while working out your honing. Also, you can order a 3/4” x 3” x 12” piece of acrylic from TAP Plastic on line for a very few bucks.

Great video. I've never seen that one before. Lots of interesting things going on in there. It's neat that he's using a two stone coti progression, and a very interesting honing technique. Good stuff thanks for posting.
And used with oil...

All,
Again, I appreciate all of the great suggestions. I've not been posting because I've been on a bit of a hiatus from my straight razor efforts. There are a couple of reasons.

Primarily, I've developed a type of dermatitis under my lower lip. It started not long after I switched from using my electric razor to using a cartridge razor. A little later, when I started with my straight razor, it seemed to get a little worse. There may be something in the shaving cream I've been using, or it could be just something about using blades in general. I've been working with my dermatologist on it. There were other things which I changed in facial hygiene around that same time. So I'm trying to determine which one it is. I've reverted back to all my old ways of doing things and it appears the dermatitis is finally pretty well cleared up. Through careful re-introduction of each of these changes back into my daily routine one at a time, I will hope to narrow down exactly what change it was.

Also, I've just got a lot of other things going on in my life right now. It's a long story which doesn't need to be detailed here. So I've not had time to read through the Newbie tutorial, learn it, and try out the techniques. I do plan on doing all of that. It's the sort of thing I enjoy doing. But that will happen at a point in my life (hopefully soon) in which I will have the time to focus on it appropriately and do it right.

Thank you all again,
DSPGuy

Top Bottom