What's new

Looking for blade gap, NOT blade exposure

A side-by-side shave of a Karve C plate (.85 exposure) and a Wolfman WR2 (0.95, 1.05 exposure) has led me to conclude that my face prefers razors with blade gap over blade exposure as the method of increasing efficiency. Are there any other razors that have higher blade gap compared to blade exposure. DE or SE - no preference! Thanks!
The EJ 3one6 has 1.35 mm blade gap and 0.0 exposure

I really like razors like that too. The Merkur Futur is probably the best example I know of. I usually use mine on 2.5 and it doesn't feel aggressive at all as long as I don't use any pressure. The shaves are very close though. The Progress and Variant have pretty low exposure and still pretty large gaps if you keep them turned down around 2 or 2.5. All 3 of those razors shave really well for me and my face doesn't like blade exposure.

I haven't tried the Muhle R94 or EJ 3one6. The little I've read about them suggested they're like most modern razors, with more exposure than I really care for. I may have to break down and give them a try with all the people recommending them here.

Isn't this how Wolfman has become popular, by increasing gap but not exposure? I'm completely ignorant of how these things work but I know that my big gap Wolf is very easy ro use.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Isn't this how Wolfman has become popular, by increasing gap but not exposure? I'm completely ignorant of how these things work but I know that my big gap Wolf is very easy ro use.
That is exactly how a Gillette Fatboy or Gillette slim or almost any adjustable works on just changing the gap, nothing changes other than lowering or raising the gap.

I believe I read somewhere that the Rockwell 6C/S reduces blade exposure from positive to negative and increase gap as you go from 1 to 6. Can anyone verify that?

That is exactly how a Gillette Fatboy or Gillette slim or almost any adjustable works on just changing the gap, nothing changes other than lowering or raising the gap.
But the changing gap also changes the blade exposure on a Gillette. Here's a Gillette brochure showing the change in blade exposure at different settings -
1609819664094.png

You could change the design to have a larger gap with less blade exposure if you want to do that, and I like razors like that. They're just not as popular with most people if you believe Gillette's research and marketing.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I believe I read somewhere that the Rockwell 6C/S reduces blade exposure from positive to negative and increase gap as you go from 1 to 6. Can anyone verify that?
I could tell you with in minutes if I had a 6s or 6c because you can easily see it with my USB microscope because you can see the blade deflect(positive exposure) with a straight edge laying across the top cap and safety bar, as you raise the gap it has to increase aggression as long as the bottom plates are the same width. If you look at the diagrams above you can understand it better IMO.

But the changing gap also changes the blade exposure on a Gillette. Here's a Gillette brochure showing the change in blade exposure at different settings - View attachment 1204367
You could change the design to have a larger gap with less blade exposure if you want to do that, and I like razors like that. They're just not as popular with most people if you believe Gillette's research and marketing.

Thanks for sharing, that is interesting to know. Having some 195s, Slims and Supers I never noticed more exposure by just “feel” on any of them.

Not sure about exposure, but the Merkur Progress will give you any gap you can handle. Everyone thinks it goes to 5, but it stays fully in tact for another go around. You can actually go to 10. But it's absurdly large at that point.

I've never handled a Futur, and I'm awaiting a Rex, but the classic Le Coq adjustable is another that opens gap but maintains fairly constant exposure. Settings (IIRC) are 1-5. 5 is pushing a 1/16" (1.588mm) gap. You could give it another turn around, but you'd want a new -heavier- tension spring, and at that point you're using a DEvette.

It seems most European designs opt for greater gap, Gillette opting to use exposure.

The Gillettes' gap increases only incidentally, as a function of blade-flex, e.g., blade exposure. The gap on a 195 is smallest at the highest, most aggressive, setting, as the adjustment bars bend the blade, pulling the edge closer to the comb.

The H&S N075 only has a .75 blade gap but combined with its neutral blade exposure, the razor is very smooth, yet delivers a nice efficient shave.

+1
The ATT Windsor H has become one of my all time favorite razors!!

High blade gap with minimal exposure and tiny blade reveal means a very smooth and comfortable shave!

I used my Windsor H this week and it was smooth and efficient, great shave.

Have you tried the newer Windsor Pro?

I used my Windsor H this week and it was smooth and efficient, great shave.

Have you tried the newer Windsor Pro?

The Windsor in my opinion is the most underrated razor on the market!!

You can check out my review on the Windsor and Windsor Pro here...

REVIEW: Above-The-Tie (ATT)...The all new Windsor Pro SS & AL (and Windsor original) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/review-above-the-tie-att-the-all-new-windsor-pro-ss-al-and-windsor-original.597502/#post-10966106

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You have to be careful when comparing blade exposure and blade gap because each MFG of razors can tweak the feel of the blade by just increasing or decreasing the width of the razor from the outside measurements of the safety bar.
Also just having a thick top cap will mellow out a razor with the same gap of a different razor.
So for a example you could have a large gap on a wider razor head and still feel milder than with a different razor with the same gap.(it can be complicated I guess if you get into the MFG of razors)

View attachment 1203919
Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Nicely done, Ron.

It's not all about gap and blade exposure.

I'm certainly not sure about anything regarding razor design and engineering but I like what you had to say.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I’m pretty sure my Parker 97R has the biggest blade gap of all my razors.

I don’t own that razor, but have you seen the blade gap on the Stirling stainless Highly Aggressive? It’s unmatched in my collection, including the Mergress opened up.

Top Bottom