What's new

Looking for an inexpensive razor that gives smooth BBS shaves?

Check this out. I shaved half my face with my "new" Gillette Tech and half with this. Both very smooth. This shaves closer but the Tech is definitely safer. Good when you're not in a hurry.

It's a nice razor. The top review is from me.

And for those who wondered, obviously it's not stainless steel but zamac. A lot gets lost in the translation from Chinese! :biggrin1:

That looks like a DE89 clone but I would rather have the real McCoy. Have you thought about a Fatip Gentile? That is mild and will give you a great shave; BBS if you have good technique. They are not expensive either and the Fatip is all brass.

It look like a DE89 clone, and it's probably supposed to be, but it's a couple of orders of magnitude more aggressive/efficient!

Why do you believe having facial skin as smooth as say a 6 year old boy's face overrated? Such facial skin would seem to me to be very desirable, pleasant to the touch, and attractive. My wife also shares this view.

When you shave, you remove part of the hair shaft. Hair has more parts than the shaft. A baby butt, or the face of a 6 year old boy, never had hair on them. Your face will still have the other parts of the hair. You will be able to feel them. If you believe you can have facial skin as smooth as say a 6 year old boy's face, you can't.

Anybody who claims otherwise is either making it up or has numb fingers.

1593662789668.png

Parker Semi Slant. Unbeatable for the money View attachment 1082546
I got a Parker Semi Slant last summer & it definitely shaves smoothe & close with every blade I've tried in it. Been building the vintage razor collection, so kinda got sidetracked for a while. Along the way I also acquired some Parker Premium Platinum blades that compare favorably with Astra SP's. I finally got around to trying one in the Semi Slant today & it's a fine match, worth having some specifically to use in the Semi Slant. BBS smooth shave with minimal effort.

I have just bought a Parker Semi-Slant and a Fatip Grande OC.
Tried them now for my latest shaves and I got to say I love them both.
Both are inexpensive and very efficient and for the money you can't do better.

If you don't want to spend $30 on a EJ89 this vikings blade could be an option for only $18

getting a BBS shave is NOT about your razor, it's about your technique and skill.
You can't buy that, only learn it. There is no pay to win and no shortcuts, it will take you trial and error, and that's part of the journey.

I think I can get BBS with any razor out there. Now, how smooth and comfortable it'll be, is another question.

For a budget, I'd have to go with my vintage razors. I got my Gillette slim twist for a buck and it shaves great.

I have just bought a Parker Semi-Slant and a Fatip Grande OC.
Tried them now for my latest shaves and I got to say I love them both.
Both are inexpensive and very efficient and for the money you can't do better.

I’ve got both up for sale in the BST if anyone is interested. Great shavers for sure, but I had to pair down the collection.

I'm looking for a cheap car that handles like a Mercedes.

I'm sorry I can't help you, but I've never tried a cheap razor and never will. I can tell you that no razor will "give" you a BBS. That comes from good technique and gets easier the closer you match the needs of your face/beard to your razor/blade/technique.

Good luck in your search. One of the things missing in cheap stuff is quality control, so if you find one that doesn't feel good that can either mean it's the wrong fit, or you got a bad one.
My circa 1988 Honda Civic DX handled like my circa 2009 Mercedes C300 and it was a lot more reliable too.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Here is another good Razor that is carefree shaving with a Kai blade in it.(Inexpensive razor IMO)
DE SOTD , Fri, July 3rd 2020

Razor: Razorock SLOC- Excellent razor- A razor that will give a carefree shave- Super Speed of the open combs.
Blade: Kai SS (1) (testing) .009 thousands of a inch wider than a standard blade- extra blade exposure. Good for a mild razor that needs a little extra aggression. A little more pricey than most blades- sharp and smooth blade.
Soap: Razorock >The Dead Sea - great scent + good lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Cashmeer 24 mm - great brush with good lathering and painting strengths, dedicated usually only for my CeraVe soap- :eek:sleepy head today.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser. Nice easy soap on the skin and eyes!
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock The Dead Sea aftershave with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results : CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: Excellent shave with my RR SLOC & Kai SS blade.

DE SOTD, July 3rd 2020  (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Yaqi DOC aka Yaqi Mellon meets OP's requirements. Inexpensive and give BBS shaves.
But I like Yaqi OC even more.
And Yintal Bronze fits in quite well !

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My circa 1988 Honda Civic DX handled like my circa 2009 Mercedes C300 and it was a lot more reliable too.

My Audi A6 handles twice as well as the Accord I had before the A6. Rides better, too. Looks better. More hp and better gas mileage to boot.

Whatever it is, it is unnerving and worrisome. And people claim an actual Merkur Futur is yet more so aggressive. The mind boggles.

Top Bottom