What's new

Looking for a Few Good Men..... The $1 Razor Challenge!

Well, I got run over by work these couple of days, but tomorrow I have the day off so it will give me the chance to try the graham blades, if I let you know how it goes it will already be good news:001_302:

Until it falls apart, which it will eventually. Cheeseburgers cost more than it does :jump:
Well, I got run over by work these couple of days, but tomorrow I have the day off so it will give me the chance to try the graham blades, if I let you know how it goes it will already be good news:001_302:
Hmmm, that will be a difficult choice...shave with a Graham Field in your Assure razor (for a once in a lifetime experience) or get a really yummy cheeseburger!! Choices, choices!!

Did you make it brother? Is there still a pulse??

The Assurance finally made it to my local Dollar Tree. I'm ambivalent about it.

I tried the razor with its companion blades, and with Derby Extras. The Derby shave was a bit harsher than I'm used to with that blade. The Assurance blades were worse. Still, got my usual DFS/BBS haves either way, just not quite a comfortable as usual.

Then I tried the Assurance blades with other razors, a 34C, 25C, and a 1940's Super Speed. All three were at least as close, and more comfortable than with the original razor.

Ultimately, I found the Assurance equipment to be underwhelming.

Until you think about the price. $1 for a razor and a tuck of blades. At that price point, its only competition is the 4- or 5-packs of disposables from Dollar Tree and the Assurance looks pretty good. If I forgot to pack my razor while travelling, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Did you make it brother? Is there still a pulse??
For our brother, @@ngel, who bravely tried a Graham-Field TBFH blade in an Assurance Razor...
YouShallBeAvenged.gif

The Assurance finally made it to my local Dollar Tree. I'm ambivalent about it.

I tried the razor with its companion blades, and with Derby Extras. The Derby shave was a bit harsher than I'm used to with that blade. The Assurance blades were worse. Still, got my usual DFS/BBS haves either way, just not quite a comfortable as usual.

Then I tried the Assurance blades with other razors, a 34C, 25C, and a 1940's Super Speed. All three were at least as close, and more comfortable than with the original razor.

Ultimately, I found the Assurance equipment to be underwhelming.

Until you think about the price. $1 for a razor and a tuck of blades. At that price point, its only competition is the 4- or 5-packs of disposables from Dollar Tree and the Assurance looks pretty good. If I forgot to pack my razor while travelling, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
My reaction exactly. Also, with it's QC issues, it probably would be better to buy 2 or 3 Assureds and use the best one. But on the plus side, it turns out at least some Dollar Tree stores carry Werther's Original caramels, which easily compensate for any shortcomings in one's shave.

Like another poster these showed up in my Dollar Tree this week and I picked one up.

Overall: I was somewhat impressed with what I got for $1.00

Razor: I wait and see on the quality it seem a bit random. Wow what a blade feel, it was almost like Fatboy set to 11. Makes a Red Tip feel like a blue tip.

Blade: Fist pass very rough almost like a bad Merkur blade. Second pass smoothed out a lot felt like a good blade being pushed one to many shaves.

I will give it another run in the morning. As other have said I glad this wasn’t my fist DE if it were my sink couldn’t hold that much blood.
Shave DFS with no burn from the AS. 7hr. Later still DFS.

Only on my second Assured blade. I did shave #2 today in my Merkur 37C slant bar. Very smooth and ended up with a 4 pass BBS. Skipped the alum block today and went straight with Proraso Green aftershave lotion. It was a satisfying burn and great shave.

Like another poster these showed up in my Dollar Tree this week and I picked one up.

Overall: I was somewhat impressed with what I got for $1.00

Razor: I wait and see on the quality it seem a bit random. Wow what a blade feel, it was almost like Fatboy set to 11. Makes a Red Tip feel like a blue tip.

Blade: Fist pass very rough almost like a bad Merkur blade. Second pass smoothed out a lot felt like a good blade being pushed one to many shaves.

I will give it another run in the morning. As other have said I glad this wasn’t my fist DE if it were my sink couldn’t hold that much blood.
Shave DFS with no burn from the AS. 7hr. Later still DFS.

Only on my second Assured blade. I did shave #2 today in my Merkur 37C slant bar. Very smooth and ended up with a 4 pass BBS. Skipped the alum block today and went straight with Proraso Green aftershave lotion. It was a satisfying burn and great shave.

Decent shaves for a $1?
Bravo Gents, Bravo..... :thumbup:

Decent shaves for a $1?
Bravo Gents, Bravo..... :thumbup:
Best $1.00 I have spent on shaving. Will it replace my vintage Gillettes probably not, but todays shave was BBS something I stopped chasing 8 or 9 Years ago. Can I give credit to the razor? I don’t know yet. I have be shaving slower and paying closer attention to my shaving skills so it could be I have just gotten sloppy over the years. Time will tell.

Best $1.00 I have spent on shaving. Will it replace my vintage Gillettes probably not, but todays shave was BBS something I stopped chasing 8 or 9 Years ago. Can I give credit to the razor? I don’t know yet. I have be shaving slower and paying closer attention to my shaving skills so it could be I have just gotten sloppy over the years. Time will tell.

Well, that tells me two things.
1. You have enough experience to know when a razor is mild or aggressive.
2. Through the years, your technique and shaving skills have gotten better and you've honed in on what you need to do to adjust your shave.

We all know the razor won't last long but, as a quick take along for a vacation or business trip it fits the bill nicely. Quality is average at best and that's being nice. It's a $1! I've spent a buck on much worse....

I picked one of these up today whilst at Dollar Tree buying a Mother's Day card. I'm a bit scared because one of the doors doesn't seem to close all the way on one side. I'm not sure whats causing it because nothing seems bent. I put in a blade and it visibly seems to be even on all sides so I'm unsure whether to trust it. I'll fiddle with it but at this point I'm feeling a bit unsafe with it.

I picked one of these up today whilst at Dollar Tree buying a Mother's Day card. I'm a bit scared because one of the doors doesn't seem to close all the way on one side. I'm not sure whats causing it because nothing seems bent. I put in a blade and it visibly seems to be even on all sides so I'm unsure whether to trust it. I'll fiddle with it but at this point I'm feeling a bit unsafe with it.

Give it a go it will surprise you.

Scratch that fellas. While fiddling with it I turned it a tad too tightly, heard a little click, aaaand the door mechanism is totally broken. Whoops oh well at least it was only a buck!

Scratch that fellas. While fiddling with it I turned it a tad too tightly, heard a little click, aaaand the door mechanism is totally broken. Whoops oh well at least it was only a buck!

Take a pair of pliers and squeeze the parts back together. Worked great on mine. In fact it shaved better afterwards.

Take a pair of pliers and squeeze the parts back together. Worked great on mine. In fact it shaved better afterwards.
Were you ever able to work your magic one the one I sent you? I thought of using needle nose pliers and trying to straighten it out, but never got around to it.

Were you ever able to work your magic one the one I sent you? I thought of using needle nose pliers and trying to straighten it out, but never got around to it.

I got distracted playing with some vintage blades in my superspeed. It is on top of the cabinet still awaiting repair.

Top Bottom