What's new

Looking for a 28 mm synthetic knot recommendation

Hi there,

I have a beautiful handle but my two attempts using synthetic knots have not worked as I wanted. Last resort would be to use a boar brush but I want to give synthetic knots another try.

What 28mm knot would you recommend and in what setting?

Thanks!

I do not know about a 28 mm brush, but I highly recommend the Simpson Trafalgar T3 brush with 26mm knot made with Sovereign grade synthetic fibre. It is a wonderful brush.

What have you tried so far? I usually don't like large diameter synthetics because they tend to be springy and hold on to too much soap. The one that I actually enjoy is a SynBad from APShaveCo. I set it as high as I could in the handle without the base of the knot being exposed or there being any noticeable gap (what I call the natural loft for a given handle/knot combo).

I tried synbad from AP but the knot had sharp bristles and the seller didn't offer any refund. I have tried hawk knot from Turnshave and it is a good performer but I don't like its strong backbone. I need to push it hard to splay.

I tried synbad from AP but the knot had sharp bristles and the seller didn't offer any refund. I have tried hawk knot from Turnshave and it is a good performer but I don't like its strong backbone. I need to push it hard to splay.

Turn n' Shave offers quite a few different synthetic knots. Each of the knots is described on the web site. The knots vary in face feel and backbone. You should be able to find something that works for you. Synthetic knots are pretty cheap, so if you do not like one knot, you should be able to remove it and replace it with something more to your liking.

That's going to be pretty common with any 28mm synthetic. Once you get past 26mm, the loft stops growing along with the knot diameter, making them more dense and giving them more backbone. The knot that is likely to feel the best given what you've said already would be the Cashmere. I have a 24mm and it's one of my favorite knots. Widely believed to be the softest synthetic around, at 28mm, it starts to get a bit more backbone, but less than you would get from any other synthetic at 28mm.

Stirling Kong is 26mm, but works great.
A.P. Shave Co. makes a very nice 28mm cashmere knot.
West Coast Shaving has a great 29mm (by my measurements) tuxedo knot. You can find it in several handle types and colors.

Stirling Kong is 26mm, but works great.
A.P. Shave Co. makes a very nice 28mm cashmere knot.
West Coast Shaving has a great 29mm (by my measurements) tuxedo knot. You can find it in several handle types and colors.

I am afraid this in not correct : "A.P. Shave Co. makes a very nice 28mm cashmere knot.". They have a 30mm though, but not a 28mm.

I am afraid this in not correct : "A.P. Shave Co. makes a very nice 28mm cashmere knot.". They have a 30mm though, but not a 28mm.
It's too bad they don't make the Cashmere in 28mm. I have the Cashmere fan in 26mm and it has the soft tips and splays well. The very qualities that you seek. I have seen some handles listed as dual brush size such as 26mm/24mm. I wonder if the knot in 26mm would work the way that you want? I just received a new brush from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements That has their 24mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Fan/Bulb knot. I like it more than the Cashmere, soft tips, good splay and decent backbone. I would say it has a great balance of splay and backbone. Here is the knot only in 26mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic 26mm knot | Bulb/Fan . @never-stop-learning has this knot in 26mm. He might be able to tell you what he thinks about using a 26mm knot in a 28mm handle.

Here are some side by side photos of my 24mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot and my 26 mm AP Shave Co Cashmere fan. To my eye they look to be almost the same size.

PAA APSC.jpg

PAA APSC2.jpg

I might be mistaken, but that's what it measured on my calipers. I'll check again.

I would say you are probably not mistaken. I recently received a “26mm” Silksmoke knot from AP Shave Co and it measured under 25mm with my calipers. I emailed them and they said it was normal. I had bought it for a 26mm handle but it was swimming in it so it is now in a 24mm Yaqi handle that the tuxedo knot went wonky

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It's too bad they don't make the Cashmere in 28mm. I have the Cashmere fan in 26mm and it has the soft tips and splays well. The very qualities that you seek. I have seen some handles listed as dual brush size such as 26mm/24mm. I wonder if the knot in 26mm would work the way that you want? I just received a new brush from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements That has their 24mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Fan/Bulb knot. I like it more than the Cashmere, soft tips, good splay and decent backbone. I would say it has a great balance of splay and backbone. Here is the knot only in 26mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic 26mm knot | Bulb/Fan . @never-stop-learning has this knot in 26mm. He might be able to tell you what he thinks about using a 26mm knot in a 28mm handle.

Here are some side by side photos of my 24mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot and my 26 mm AP Shave Co Cashmere fan. To my eye they look to be almost the same size.

View attachment 1236275

View attachment 1236277

I am certainly no expert in these things, so please take that into consideration.

From what I have seen, there does seem to be some 'leeway' in stated vs measured specs. You want the handle drilled ~1mm larger than the knot size. If everything is on spec, a 26mm knot should be able to work in a handle drilled to 28mm.

Here is the Frickwerkz Blue Handle with PAA 26mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot:
20210222_173148~2.jpg

IIRC, the handle was advertised for a 26mm - 28mm knot.

Here is the Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E with a TNS 26mm Quartermoon Knot:
20210204_204312~2.jpg

As advertised, this handle was pre-drilled to 27mm to best accommodate a 26mm knot.

I use silicone to set the knots.

These are both outstanding synthetic brushes! 😍

YMMV

I would say you are probably not mistaken. I recently received a “26mm” Silksmoke knot from AP Shave Co and it measured under 25mm with my calipers. I emailed them and they said it was normal. I had bought it for a 26mm handle but it was swimming in it so it is now in a 24mm Yaqi handle that the tuxedo knot went wonky

Calipers say the knot is 28mm. It's a very good knot and it's priced right.

Maggards Black and White. I have a 20 mm and a 26 mm. I have also made brushes for others using the 26 mm knot several times. It is an exceptional knot and it's priced right.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
That is a big knot diameter and to make it feel right you need good loft to weaken the extra amount of hairs jammed in there to over come the stiffness IMO. I personally do not care for that large a knot because it becomes a lather hog. A synthetic cashmere knot is something to consider. I have a Yaqi Cashmere 24 mm :001_wub: and use it daily dedicated brush for cleaning my face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser & it is a nice knot with some back bone but not as much as a tuxedo knot. Another nice knot is my 26 mm Yaqi evil red Zebra handle :001_wub: , that is my favorite of the large knots, it does not feel like my other 26mm knots and is pleasure to use with its heavenly cloud like soft tips with not as much backbone as a synthetic tuxedo knot + gentle scrub and excellent lather painter.
Yaqi 24mm synthetic Cashmere knot...............................................................26mm Yaqi red handle Zebra knot
Yaqi Cashmere knot 24mm with black marble handle. (2).jpg
Yaqi 26mm evil zebra handle.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

Top Bottom