What's new

Longevity of 4711?

Based on your experience, what's the longevity of 4711? I love the scent...just doesn't last long enough (or I go nose blind).

On me, 4711 lasts long enough for me to get dressed. If you work in a fragrance free place this would be a good way to start your day.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I like the scent and it has certainly been around a long time but it does not last long enough for me to consider using it at all. I am reliably informed that scents last longer when applied to the clothing as opposed to the skin.

Agree, it is short-lived. It's something nice to splash on at the end of the day, say after a workout and shower.

4711 has amazing longevity! It's been around since 1799 and still relevant!!
How about that?!

4711 building cologne.jpg

It's Eau de Cologne - it's not supposed to last longer than 1-2 hours. You need to look for Eau de Toilette or better yet Eau de Parfum if you want a long lasting scent. Sadly, the 4711 is available only as EdC.

Once I realised that 4711 is a very cheap, fresh scent, I made sure I had one in my overseas travel kit. During one of my team meetings hoping to impress my German colleagues, I preceded to splash some on. This was greeted with howls of laughter- for my German colleagues (35-50 years old ) I smelt like every grandmother they'd ever met. For the Germans they class this as an old woman's fragrance. We still laugh about this years later.

Funny how 4711 is so common in Germany, and the associations are so negative. I don't think it smells at all "old fashioned." To me it is a delightful, citrussy cologne. Unfortunately it has so little longevity it is impractical for me to where except on certain occasions.

I agree with everyone who said that it vanishes almost instantly. It does smell wonderful though. If my memory serves me, (and it doesn't always) it has quite a resemblance to D.R. Harris Arlington. Maybe that would have more longevity on your skin?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Decant some 4711 into a small glass bottle and add a few drops of glycerin for a fine aftershave. A bit stingy, perhaps.

AA

4711 for me is a must have post shower routine for the Spring and Summer. After a shower I will liberally splash on 4711 (I use the giant jug of it, which is very cheap) and it's a great refresher. It helps wake me up in the morning, and simultaneously seems to have a cooling effect after a hot shower. The scent for me smells like a good gin martini and lasts no more than 15-30 minutes, which is perfect for me to apply my fragrance of the day.

I would recommend splurging and buying the 27oz jug as it can be had for around $30-35.

Once I realised that 4711 is a very cheap, fresh scent, I made sure I had one in my overseas travel kit. During one of my team meetings hoping to impress my German colleagues, I preceded to splash some on. This was greeted with howls of laughter- for my German colleagues (35-50 years old ) I smelt like every grandmother they'd ever met. For the Germans they class this as an old woman's fragrance. We still laugh about this years later.

Being Germany based, I always have been surprised/amused to learn that 4711 gets a lot of love from the "international crowd" whereas in Germany it has a reputation being used from elderly women (age 65+) only.
But: to each their own.

Great information. Thanks.

I think of 4711 being a bit 1960s Playboy. Seemed to be marketed as hip for those times. Smells classic to me.

In my experience 4711 has no tenacity at all. The Portugal version does a bit better.

Top Bottom