What's new

Longevity of 4711?

Being Germany based, I always have been surprised/amused to learn that 4711 gets a lot of love from the "international crowd" whereas in Germany it has a reputation being used from elderly women (age 65+) only.
But: to each their own.
Other countries use cologne water and it is more of a family thing there. There is a bottle in the bathroom and anyone can use it after bathing. In Turkey, giving your guests a splash of cologne water when they arrive is part of good hospitality.

There are far better colognes in the mainstream, which are more expensive such as Guerlain Impériale/Du Coq, Farina 1709, or Roger & Gallet JMF EV. Or from niche providers such as Berdoues and Parfums de Nicolaï which are in the same price band. Cologne Sologne or Cologne Cedrat from PdN are to die for.

Sure there are other/better variants, But 4711 is THE original eau de “cologne”

And yes, a eau de cologne by definition is rather weak and refreshing.

Sure there are other/better variants, But 4711 is THE original eau de “cologne”

And yes, a eau de cologne by definition is rather weak and refreshing.
No it's not Farina is.

farina-eau-de-cologne-originale-spray-17-fl-oz.jpg

I love the smell, but it is not practical for me to carry around a decant to reapply every few hours. When I am in the mood for this type of fragrance, I just go with Neroli Portofino and I get all-day longevity.

I love the smell, but it is not practical for me to carry around a decant to reapply every few hours. When I am in the mood for this type of fragrance, I just go with Neroli Portofino and I get all-day longevity.
I can't see why anyone couldn't carry a travel spray, let alone a 35ml bottle.

Based on your experience, what's the longevity of 4711? I love the scent...just doesn't last long enough (or I go nose blind).
It only lasts a few minutes. If you want something in the same scent ballpark, maybe try an EDT such as Salvatore Ferragamo Acqua Essenziale Colonia. I've seen it very inexpensive at places like Marshall's.

Having stumbled across this thread four days ago... I immediately ordered a bottle of the ASL. I've never used 4711 before but it brought back (pleasant) old memories of sniffing the bottles.

My bottle arrived today. :001_smile

4711 SOTD

SOTD-W_2020-06-23.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 18/44 Silvertip D01 2-Band
Soap: Vitos Red
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (6)
ASL: 4711

An excellent shave. :cornut:

The 4711 was very enjoyable, and several hours later my skin is feeling just fine. I'll use it for at least a week now to make sure that it likes me too.

Personally I'm glad that the scent (as with most ASLs and EdCs) is short lived. Unthinkingly I misjudged the amount I shook out of the bottle (a small bucketful) and that lasted for two hours. It'll be half that amount (or less) tomorrow.

I'm definitely not a lover of long lasting scents (on me — hell, I'm a man) so there's no way I'll be entering EdT or EdP territory.

Of course we're all different and like different things. Here's to YMMV! :a54:

Being Germany based, I always have been surprised/amused to learn that 4711 gets a lot of love from the "international crowd" whereas in Germany it has a reputation being used from elderly women (age 65+) only.
But: to each their own.
Similar thing here in Croatia, it gets love among wet shavers, however my mom and sister were making fun of me when I used that in my teen years and then in my 20's when I got new bottle. I still like it.

Edit: but i was off topic. Longevity is terrible, non-existent. I think Nivea sensitive balsam is longer lasting.

4711 is generally fleeting on me but I find its longevity is actually not quite as bad as I've been led to believe. I have a big 27 oz bottle. After a shower and very generous application, splashed all over, I actually can smell this one throughout the day, especially if I start to sweat. It reactivates itself in high heat. So it's not really a cologne or EDT as much as an "aura" that wafts in and out, a gentle orange blossom/neroli effect.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
4711 last about from here to the next corner...my mom always schlepped a bottle in her purse and I cannot count the how many times I was wiped down with it (face, hands etc), sprinkled on a tissue, as a quick clean/disinfect when I was a kid..later she then carried the single wrapped wipes. Never liked it, though.

Neroli Portofino is an amazing scent that really does last forever and a half. It's also my go-to for the classic-cologne neroli scent.

My bottle was gifted by an elderly Portuguese woman. She never liked it! I'm not sure if it was because her son-in-law gave it to her or because of the scent. I enjoy it occasionally, especially in summer, but I enjoy Portugal Water more. Although it is not a strong scent, I do get notes of it throughout the day with one application. It's a pro if my clients don't smell it.

My bottle was gifted by an elderly Portuguese woman. She never liked it! I'm not sure if it was because her son-in-law gave it to her or because of the scent. I enjoy it occasionally, especially in summer, but I enjoy Portugal Water more. Although it is not a strong scent, I do get notes of it throughout the day with one application. It's a pro if my clients don't smell it.
Eau de Portugal as in an orange scent? Used either as a hair tonic or splash cologne?

1AFD3F5D-2537-48E1-8452-2BA0DB90E371.jpeg

This stuff. Definitely favors orange rather than the lemon of 4711. It is labeled as an ASL and I use it as such. I’m guessing that puts it on the light end of the fragrance strength scale.

View attachment 1138402
This stuff. Definitely favors orange rather than the lemon of 4711. It is labeled as an ASL and I use it as such. I’m guessing that puts it on the light end of the fragrance strength scale.

How about that! As I live and breathe, as my Grandmother Smith would say. I like this 4711 Portugal AS tremendously. Not available in the States as far as I know, which is a shame. Why it is not called an Eau de Portugal, I have no idea, because it seems to me that is the epitome of an eau de Portugal. A light cologne made from the skins of bitter oranges. There is an excellent thread on B&B from 2010 that took back up in 2014 discussing the meaning of eau de Portugal, featuring some of my real heroes on B&B. As noted there, there seem to be a lot of scents out there that say they are eau de Portugals, or Portugals, that do not seem to have much in common. Compare Pen's Douro to this one, for instance. There used to be a 4711 edc and an edt of this scent. I recall reading that neither had quite the purity of orange of the AS, and, if I recall correctly, the edt was said to be quite a bit different. Pinaud (Clubman) makes an eau de Portugal thay market as a hair tonic. Certainly works as a light cologne. It is even lighter than the 4711 and, to my nose, but apparently not to anyone else's has a certain dirty, cigarette ash note, which I have come across in other more high end citrus scents.

Top Bottom