What's new

Longevity of 4711?

I need to check that thread out. I am not well versed in fragrances, and perhaps I need to refer to this product as 4711 Portugal rather than Portugal water.

I need to check that thread out. I am not well versed in fragrances, and perhaps I need to refer to this product as 4711 Portugal rather than Portugal water.
I have seen the Acqua Colonia range and 4711 Remix editions, but I have never seen a 4711 Portugal.

I am not well versed in fragrances, and perhaps I need to refer to this product as 4711 Portugal rather than Portugal water.
I would generally consider my self fairly well-versed, but I really have no idea. I think there is a lot of inconsistency around the use of the term "eau de Portugal," etc. GF Trumper makes a Portugal, too. It is very nice. Very orange but not as light as the 4711.

I have seen the Acqua Colonia range and 4711 Remix editions, but I have never seen a 4711 Portugal.

4711 Portugal may be a Japan-only product. Amazon has the AS for $60 plus $10 shipping from Japan Hair Products or something like that. The bottle I have was originally bought in Japan.

My weekly supply of Eau de Portugal...

20200812_001542.jpg

On a warm, muggy night, right before laying down for bed?
A splash in the hands and spread over my chest, under my arms, another on top of my bald head and down the back of the neck. The fragrance lasts just long enough to let me fall asleep unhindered by the discomfort of the heat and moisture in the room. Add the feel of cooling air coming down from the ceiling fan? Heaven!
Cheap at twice the price! Nevermind I'll still buy the biggest bottle I can find with the best discount.
(Oh, and far less than the modern versions of the very first early Guerlain citrus splashes!)

Last edited:
I only paid $37 delivered. The same 150ml bottle (a little smaller than the Vines above!) goes for almost $68 shipped now, less than a year later! It was shipped from Japan.

I have around 50 Cologne's and Kolonya's. I am not really a fan of 4711. I may give it another try, at least in the AS formulation.

There is a school of thought that recommends applying fragrances on top of a balm or moisturizer to increase longevity ?

That could work also spray on clothes instead of skin, but honestly I don't think there's any hope for 4711's longevity no matter what is done.

I have around 50 Cologne's and Kolonya's. I am not really a fan of 4711. I may give it another try, at least in the AS formulation.
At this point, I am not fond of the regular 4711. Seems generic and weak, but that may be in part because it has been around so long. The Portugal is something different. BTW, I would consider eau de Portugals to be very much in the realm of barbershop scents, so classically masculine.

At this point, I am not fond of the regular 4711. Seems generic and weak, but that may be in part because it has been around so long. The Portugal is something different. BTW, I would consider eau de Portugals to be very much in the realm of barbershop scents, so classically masculine.
I have only tried these.

port.jpg

I would like to try TOBS, T&H, and DR Harris Eau de Portugal. I have the Harris Orange Cologne. GFT and Penhaligons are different products.

If I recall, the Pashana is nice, but it has been a very long time. As I said above, as I recall the GFT as being nice, but heavier than, say, the 4711, but still very much an orange scent.

Top Bottom