What's new

Long Rifle - Hunting Lodge

Like many on the forum, I've been a big fan of GD, T&S, WK, DG, Turtleship, B&M Reserve, A&E, Lisa's Artisan, etc. There are so many great soaps out there these days. Of course we are all looking for the Holy Grail of performance including glide, protection, residual slickness, scent, and post shave.

I have to admit I've been really surprised by this small Wisconsin artisan. I've finished their Bay Rhum and loved it and now am into Hunting Lodge which I like just as much or more.

The soap comes in either pucks or is poured into small containers resembling scaled down Soap Commander containers. I found the containers satisfactory to load from but I found I could optimize the lather by scooping out an almond size amount of soap and pressing it into my Captain's Choice flared edge copper shaving bowl. I use a damp shaken brush to build lather and add water as necessary. The containers demonstrate an excellent presentation as they are nice quality with waterproof labels. I will continue to buy the soap in the containers because I like the quality and I can reuse them with Haslinger pucks. So what is it that I love about this soap?

Scent: Hunting Lodge is a blend of Leather, Tobacco, and Bay Rhum. I find the leather and tobacco to be the dominant scents. I've been looking for a manly leather scent for quite awhile and this soap scent has become the gold standard for me. Very manly, not overpowering, but the type of scent that conjures up great thoughts and memories of my wilderness experiences. Also the scent unfolds nicely during the shave adding to the experience.

Lather: Using the method I mentioned above to build lather, this soap is an absolute lather monster. It is not a particularly thirsty soap, but adding just a few drops at a time you will find a bowl of thick, slick lather as you build to the sweet point. Any type of brush works well as I have used badgers, boars, and synthetics with great results.

Slickness/cushion: I find this tallow based soap to be very slick with excellent residual slickness of course useful for us fanatics always aiming for a BBS shave. Cushion is also excellent. I find that even when using my mid-aggressive razors such as the Timeless SS .95, the Karve plate F, GC .84, that I can always obtain an irritation free BBS and that is my ultimate goal.

Ingredients: water, locally-sourced organic tallow, coconut oil, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, aloe vera, unrefined shea butter, fragrance, babassu oil. Simple ingredients, but generating a great lather and even though the container is only 3 oz. I get the same number of shaves that I get from 4 oz. of GD or Turtleship which I find as very fast using soaps.

Post Shave: Post Shave is very good. Perhaps not to the GD or Turtleship level, but excellent non-the-less. Part of this is due to the excellent protection of the soap and part is related to the excellent ingredients.

Overall, this is a soap that has moved into my top tier rotation. It won't push the others I mentioned above out of their top places, but it will certainly join them. I have yet to have a difficult shave with this soap and find it an excellent value at $12.

IMG_2688.jpg

:

I think their soaps are pretty good and on par with B&M Glissant or Stirling. Their aftershaves are some of the best I’ve ever used.

Also, thanks for mentioning Turtleship as one of the top soaps. It’s definitely in my top 3 and #1 depending on my mood. It seems that it doesn’t get talked about at all, compared to some of the others.

I’m currently using Long Rifle’s 1776 soap and agree 100% that it’s excellent. I chose the hard puck over the softer version but it definitely lathers easily and has been giving me very enjoyable shaves.

Post shave is good along with a nice scent but, residual slickness is not good at all IMO. I will not buy again.

I know everyone can and do experience different results. I will only say that I have an inventory of over 200 soaps in over 100 brands and I find residual slickness of Long Rifle as good as the very best using the lathering method that I use. Perhaps we have different lathering methods or different water qualities, but I find this to be one slick soap. I can go over the same area again and again without irritation.

I know everyone can and do experience different results. I will only say that I have an inventory of over 200 soaps in over 100 brands and I find residual slickness of Long Rifle as good as the very best using the lathering method that I use. Perhaps we have different lathering methods or different water qualities, but I find this to be one slick soap. I can go over the same area again and again without irritation.

Great review!

I too find this soap to be very slick and an excellent value! My preference has been the 3oz pucks which I transfer and smash down into a larger container. I believe both are the same consistency which is to say soft, but it hardens nicely in the container over time, without being too hard or drying out. Delightful, manly scents.

I think their soaps are pretty good and on par with B&M Glissant or Stirling. Their aftershaves are some of the best I’ve ever used.

Also, thanks for mentioning Turtleship as one of the top soaps. It’s definitely in my top 3 and #1 depending on my mood. It seems that it doesn’t get talked about at all, compared to some of the others.

You bet, I love Turtleship. I find the post shave to be among the very best. One of the few soaps that improves my skin the more I use. I also like all their straight forward scents. My only issue at all with Turtleship is it gets used up quickly a lot like GD soaps. Must be all those conditioning ingredients that aren't soap. But Turtleship is one of those companies that focuses on quality. Everything that goes out of that place is excellent. I have a number of their brushes and love them all. Thanks for your thoughts on Long Rifle aftershave. I haven't tried it yet but was really thinking about getting Hunting Lodge.

You bet, I love Turtleship. I find the post shave to be among the very best. One of the few soaps that improves my skin the more I use. I also like all their straight forward scents. My only issue at all with Turtleship is it gets used up quickly a lot like GD soaps. Must be all those conditioning ingredients that aren't soap. But Turtleship is one of those companies that focuses on quality. Everything that goes out of that place is excellent. I have a number of their brushes and love them all. Thanks for your thoughts on Long Rifle aftershave. I haven't tried it yet but was really thinking about getting Hunting Lodge.
Yeah, the straight forward scents are great. If you happen to have Pine from Turtleship, Long Rifle Leatherstocking AS compliments it pretty well. It has some patchouli in it too though which I like but you may not.

Yeah, the straight forward scents are great. If you happen to have Pine from Turtleship, Long Rifle Leatherstocking AS compliments it pretty well. It has some patchouli in it too though which I like but you may not.

Sounds great actually. I love pine but for an aftershave patchouli might be more interesting.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Does anyone know how this compares to DG Cuir et epices?
Didn't mean to revive this old post, but I just finished a container of DG Cuir et epices. I really liked the scent a lot and never tired of it. It is a little different than Hunting Lodge. There are similarities, but the leather in Hunting Lodge is more defined and forward. I can't really describe Cuir de epices. It has leather in the scent description, but the scent is somewhat complex to me, very nice, but hard to describe.

I like the scent of DG better , more complex than Hunting Lodge. Long Rifle's Brown Bess is my favorite
scent out of the 4 LR's that I have. 1776 is a good cedar, mahogany scent. Regardless I really like Long
Rifle soaps.

Didn't mean to revive this old post, but I just finished a container of DG Cuir et epices. I really liked the scent a lot and never tired of it. It is a little different than Hunting Lodge. There are similarities, but the leather in Hunting Lodge is more defined and forward. I can't really describe Cuir de epices. It has leather in the scent description, but the scent is somewhat complex to me, very nice, but hard to describe.
I ended up picking up hunting lodge. It's a good soap, with a light scent. Not as much going on as Cuir, but it's really good.

Definitely a good choice.

Sweet, I just ordered some Long Rifle today. Hawkeye scent. Lemongrass, Orange & Bergamot is what's stayed in the scent profile.

Can't wait to get it and try it.

Thanks for the review.

Top Bottom