What's new

Lome My Skin Ocean Mist

I have bought alcohol-free splashes from the eBay vendor sbtanning before, under the Love My Skin brand, so I thought I would try one of the shave creams in this brand.

I ordered a sample of the Ocean Mist fragrance expecting an aquatic scent but what I got is more like a floral scent. It has a green ozonic haze but mostly alot of linalool and synthetic floral notes, like a cheap laundry detergent or room deodorizer type of fragrance. I shaved with it even though I find too much linalool and florals gives me a headache, and sure enough, it did. The actual shaving quality of the cream was well above average, very slick and I had a low irritation two pass shave with some blade buffing. But I'm not a fan of the scent at all. Art of Shaving's hard-to-find Ocean Kelp is much better.

It rinses clean from razors and brushes and the post-shave skin feeling was good.

Here is the ingredients list for the shaving cream:

Ingredients: Glycerin, Water, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sorbitol, Propylene glycol, Disodium Lauryl sulfosuccinate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (fragrance).

I would definitely try this cream again in another scent. As far as artisan products go, it's inexpensive.

edit: What's strange is that I tried the matching aftershave splash and the Ocean Mist scent isn't as offensive. I believe the shaving cream is more strongly scented, and the green and vegetable notes of the aftershave base blend better with the fragrance oil.

Last edited:
On a side note, there's something I'm sensitive too in this fragrance. I've been having a headache all day, it feels like a sinus headache and I feel some irritation up in my nose, and my nose has been slightly runny and "burnt out" all day (I'm not smelling things correctly, I keep smelling that damn scent all day). I have mild exercise-related asthma but I never thought of myself as allergic to fragrances.

I do detest the floral smell in this product. It could be some kind of aversion reaction, as I've smelled this sort of thing before, and never really cared for it. The offending odor is some kind of floral chemical, maybe too much linalool or a synthetic hiacynth accord. Either way, I wouldn't give this to my worst enemy.

I think I will try their Old Spice clone next, or perhaps a barbeshop scent or an unscented shave cream- in terms of slick lather it's impressive, and also very protective and moisturizing. But my nose honestly feels like it needs a rest for a while- I think I am preferring mildly scented products, like Nivea's Sensitive line.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the review. Sorry that you have not had a great experience but you gave it a go and lived to tell us about it. Would it have helped at all by leaving the lid off for a little while before you used it, or is it just that strong?

Thanks for the review. Sorry that you have not had a great experience but you gave it a go and lived to tell us about it. Would it have helped at all by leaving the lid off for a little while before you used it, or is it just that strong?

Not really a wearable scent. Art of Shaving's Ocean Kelp is in a place on the borders between genius and madness, but this one (Ocean Mist) is just plain bad as body fragrances go.

I ordered their Cool Water, Shave and a Haircut, and Unscented shave creams to try out.

I know what you mean about the scents of these soaps.
I have samples of both the Ocean Mist and Dragons Blood soaps.
Didn't care much for the scents of either. But the lather I thought was good quality, especially with a dab of Cremo added to the bowl!
I may try another scent, but there are lots of other soaps I want to sample first.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I know what you mean about the scents of these soaps.
I have samples of both the Ocean Mist and Dragons Blood soaps.
Didn't care much for the scents of either. But the lather I thought was good quality, especially with a dab of Cremo added to the bowl!
I may try another scent, but there are lots of other soaps I want to sample first.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

My friendly advice to the artisan would be to keep men's shave creams/soaps simple in terms of scent.

I am not kidding when I say the lather for this brand is one of the best for creams. It blows away Art of Shaving at a much cheaper price. But the lather is not a traditional soap type, it's more like Van Der Hagen, glycerin, surfactant and sorbitol based. The post-shave feel was very good, probably because of that.

The only thing I am not crazy about is the formaldehyde-releaser used as a preservative, imidazolidinyl urea. It's a wash-off product, of course, and makes the shave cream virtually immune to spoilage (something that is a problem with some artisan or natural shave creams, like Kiss My Face), but I'm not a big fan. Still, it hasn't stopped me from using other products that contain formaldehyde-releasers, I'd just generally prefer if we were using less of the stuff on delicate skin areas (and shaved facial skin certainly qualifies). And the EWG doesn't give it especially high danger ratings compared to other preservatives, but still, it's a cheap, crude preservative you find in older product formulations typically.

Who knows, perhaps there is a reason the formulator has chosen to go with such a crude preservative . I do know I have a bottle of moisturizer I got at a dollar store that has a similar preservative and there's been absolutely no spoilage (only the disappearance of fragrance), even though it's the better part of a decade old. But now days you won't find top brands using the stuff- it's not the best sensitive skin choice, as irritation due to formaldehyde, even in such low concentrations, is a well known risk associated with these chemicals in sensitive individuals. For instance, many dermatologists would suggest if you have eczema, to avoid using any product that has formaldehyde releasers. Parabens are the preffered choice by dermatologists in that case, as they are much more widely tolerated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom