What's new

Lodge 8" frying pan is best omelette pan.

Please do not shun me but..... I have no cast iron equipment in my kitchen. The one posted above looks great.

I guess I’ve got to add it to the buy soon list.

IMO every pan type has a different area of competence. There isn't a single pan that will do it all. However, cast-iron likely comes the closest but with some limitations. In my experience I've found other types that work better depending on the food you are cooking. I like steaks & chops done on cast-iron. If I do marinated meat kabobs though, I grill them on a Staub or Le Creuset grill pan. Those are both porcelain over steel so the sauce won't etch in and be tough to remove. Same for tomato sauced based dishes. When you mess up the seasoning you have to redo it. It isn't the end of the world but mildly azz paining. Chicken, fish, & eggs go into a ScanPan. Those are pressed steel with a ceramic non-stick finish. I love 'em but there are likely many other types that work just as well. And then there is stainless steel. That's what I started with and many use them. I don't though anymore except for one mondo chicken fryer. I found when I started using the "right" pan for the task my cooking improved dramatically and over time I was using stainless less & less. There are no aluminum or teflon non-sticks in the house.

Well yes I do admire cast iron pans and understand their usefulness. I’ve focused on knives in the past years. Now is the time to move on to something new.

Cast-iron is for steaks & chops at Chez Novitiate and an 8" pan is too small. I use a 9.5" ScanPan. I do omelets flat cooked & rolled or pushed to center & rolled. (Roughly, American or French style.) If I do a 3 egg one, an 8" pan leaves the omelet too thick for the 1st type. I like them a bit thinner. For the 2nd type an 8" leaves them too wet in the middle. That isn't a bad thing just not my preference. I don't use cast-iron as any gap in the seasoning, the egg will find it.

But if an 8" Lodge works for you...

:thumbsup:

Using the lid on the 8" Lodge eliminates the wet egg issue. My pans are well seasoned, the eggs slide off.

A griddle is needed for the flat cooked style omelets.

Top Bottom