What's new

Hexclad, what do you have to say

We converted all our pans/skillets to lodge cast iron and like it pretty well.

The wife wants a single non-stick 8 inch skillet because she doesn't want me to have to wash and season the lodge one after she makes eggs.

I was thinking of the hexclad 8 inch skillet. What are your thoughts/experience?

Never mind, the wife vetoed it. I need to find something $30 or less. I'll start a new thread for that

Never mind, the wife vetoed it. I need to find something $30 or less. I'll start a new thread for that
Have you considered a carbon steel skillet? If you season them well enough, they become nonstick.

I have a cast iron wok that I've seasoned and make eggs in regularly. It just needs to be washed and dried after using. That said, I sometimes enjoy seasoning it; it's almost meditative.

Have you considered a carbon steel skillet? If you season them well enough, they become nonstick.

I have a cast iron wok that I've seasoned and make eggs in regularly. It just needs to be washed and dried after using. That said, I sometimes enjoy seasoning it; it's almost meditative.
I have considered that, the wife just wants something "regular "

I own the S&P grinder/mill. They are awesome.

No experience with the cookware.

PXL_20231128_200734771.jpg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
We have the set of pans for several years now and I must say the best pans we ever owned. Everything so far came out great. They are not cheap, but we think worth the extra cost, and they holding up very well. But then, some are happy with a $3 boar brush while others drop half a k for a brush - YMMV.

We have the set of pans for several years now and I must say the best pans we ever owned. Everything so far came out great. They are not cheap, but we think worth the extra cost, and they holding up very well. But then, some are happy with a $3 boar brush while others drop half a k for a brush - YMMV.
Your feedback is much appreciated!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Americas Test Kitchen did a review on Hexclad in their Best and Worst Equipment for 2023. Hexclad failed miserably in their tests.

About the 21:00 minute mark . . .

Last edited:
We've had a Hexclad wok for a few years. It's holding up quite well. IMO, it's a very good piece of cookware (durable and has very good heat distribution), but not great if the emphasis is on non-stick.

That being said, I don't expect eggs to slide around in a hot pan like an ice cube on a sheet of glass, teflon or no. What I do expect is easy, breezy cleanup and the Hexclad delivers that.

I have an OXO Good Grips Pro 8" Frying Pan Skillet for eggs. I am not generally wild about nonstick cookware but this skillet was highly rated by Americas Test Kitchen and mine has worked great for its intended purpose and has proven durable so far. On sale for less than $30 from Amazon.

I have an OXO Good Grips Pro 8" Frying Pan Skillet for eggs. I am not generally wild about nonstick cookware but this skillet was highly rated by Americas Test Kitchen and mine has worked great for its intended purpose and has proven durable so far. On sale for less than $30 from Amazon.
Thank you @SlimChicken we’re not really a fan either, same purpose for us…. Eggs

Thank you @SlimChicken we’re not really a fan either, same purpose for us…. Eggs
I agree with @hairless wonder

A well seasoned carbon steel has my eggs sliding around. Especially if I use enough butter.

They take time to season, but are safe, have no added chemicals or layers and get better with age.

Once seasoned, they can be washed and dried after use. Without the need of additional seasoning. And yes, I've used soap on them without issue.

Last edited:
I agree with @hairless wonder

A well seasoned carbon steel has my eggs sliding around. Especially if I use enough butter.

They take time to season, but are safe, have no added chemicals or layers and get better with age.

Once seasoned, they can be washed and dried after use. Without the need of additional seasoning. And yes, I've used soap on them without issue.
That’s what I’m hoping to get my cast iron to eventually. I might look at a carbon steel pan at some point.

That’s what I’m hoping to get my cast iron to eventually. I might look at a carbon steel pan at some point.
Cast Iron and Caron Steel are 2 very different cooking vessels.

1 is great for heat retention and longer cooks. 1 is great for heaing quickly and zapping foods.

Having both is benefitial if you enjoying being in the kitchen. Carbon Steel is obviously much lighter as well.

We converted all our pans/skillets to lodge cast iron and like it pretty well.

The wife wants a single non-stick 8 inch skillet because she doesn't want me to have to wash and season the lodge one after she makes eggs.

I was thinking of the hexclad 8 inch skillet. What are your thoughts/experience?
Can I ask why you are having to re-season after making eggs and when you say wash are you actually scrubbing with soap? I only have cast iron pans and you can fry an egg in any of them and it will slide around with no sticking in all of them. The only time there is an issue is if someone is not patient when heating them up and overheats the pan. Even then there is no reason to re-season. I have a couple Lodge and the rest are Wagner Ware Sydney-0.

Cast Iron and Caron Steel are 2 very different cooking vessels.

1 is great for heat retention and longer cooks. 1 is great for heaing quickly and zapping foods.

Having both is benefitial if you enjoying being in the kitchen. Carbon Steel is obviously much lighter as well.
Well I’m going to have to get one then. What’s the brand you use?

Well I’m going to have to get one then. What’s the brand you use?
I use DeBuyer.

Years ago, they used to sell them at Costco online for great prices so we have a few sizes.

Lodge make Carbon Steel now too. I have a rectangular flat grate for camping with handles. Even Ikea sells Carbon Steel.

A good comparison from Lodge:

A couple B&B threads:
Thread 'Carbon steel pans: De Buyer v. Vollrath' Carbon steel pans: De Buyer v. Vollrath - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/carbon-steel-pans-de-buyer-v-vollrath.435508/

Thread 'Cast Iron vs Carbon Steel pan what do you prefer' Cast Iron vs Carbon Steel pan what do you prefer - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/cast-iron-vs-carbon-steel-pan-what-do-you-prefer.441311/

Last edited:
Top Bottom