What's new

Lodge 8" frying pan is best omelette pan.

Change my mind.
20191128_082845.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I kinda head more toward the frittatas side. Maybe call it a country omelette. Cast iron works fine. I tend to go larger as I make one for a meal and half is for my wife. Cheese and mushroom mostly. Fry the mushrooms first and then set aside to put on top of the eggs at the proper juncture. Cheddar and maybe a sprinkle of parmigiana.

Hmm, sounds like a good way to start a bar fight by walking in an proclaiming your CI pan is the best. :thumbup1: If you had one with a lid you would be able to use it as a shield once the fight really gets going :a30:

Wow, that egg dish is cool. I need to up my cooking/flipping skills.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Ha you have the bar fight thing pretty right I think. Advantage CI just because it is heavy and can do real damage.

Hey, love of any equipment that gets people to actually cook is a winner.

I have one of these eight inch pans with the lid but I haven't used it much. What's your technique for omelets? How many eggs? Do you leave the lid on the whole time? What burner setting? Do you add butter or whatever while the pan is cool or when it's hot?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks!

Start high then turn down to medium heat setting to get pan hot. Butter? Use bacon grease.
3 eggs, stirred in with dry herbs/spices. Add egg mix to pan. Use fork to stir in pan, the hardened egg to middle, get raw egg mix to pan surface. Before it's done, add cheese, chopped onions, peppers, meat here. Cover to melt cheese.

Uncover, use fork or spatula to roll out the omelette onto a plate

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have 2 Lodge pans. I use them everyday. Coconut oil is very efficient. I really like them. I also have a 4" lodge, perfect for 1-2 eggs sunny side up.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have a lot of lodge cast iron and steel pans. My favorite for Omelets is the 8” steel pan though. The cast iron is too heavy to flip and fold the omelet for me.

I would never get between a Chef and his cast iron! For me though, an 8-inch All-Clad copper core non-stick on a Breville Control Freek is just fine. But I can still flip eggs in an 8-inch lodge if I ever go camping again. :) But my muscles may fail me any time going forward; I am getting older.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I would never get between a Chef and his cast iron! For me though, an 8-inch All-Clad copper core non-stick on a Breville Control Freek is just fine. But I can still flip eggs in an 8-inch lodge if I ever go camping again. :) But my muscles may fail me any time going forward; I am getting older.

I love my cast iron but the 5 layer All-Clads are usually my first choice for eggs.

For eggs I normally use my Blu Skillet carbon steel. But I use my various CI skillets on more days than not. But if I am going to simmer something all day or if it is acidic there is always the enameled cast iron :biggrin1:

Cast-iron is for steaks & chops at Chez Novitiate and an 8" pan is too small. I use a 9.5" ScanPan. I do omelets flat cooked & rolled or pushed to center & rolled. (Roughly, American or French style.) If I do a 3 egg one, an 8" pan leaves the omelet too thick for the 1st type. I like them a bit thinner. For the 2nd type an 8" leaves them too wet in the middle. That isn't a bad thing just not my preference. I don't use cast-iron as any gap in the seasoning, the egg will find it.

But if an 8" Lodge works for you...

:thumbsup:

Please do not shun me but..... I have no cast iron equipment in my kitchen. The one posted above looks great.

I guess I’ve got to add it to the buy soon list.

Top Bottom