What's new

Loading Handle w/ Epoxy

What's the easiest way to do this guys? My mom suggested a plastic sandwich bag and cutting a small hole in the corner to squeeze it in. Thanks

Hmmm...I just tape up the handle to secure against drops and use the popsicle/mixing stick to scoop it up and load the handle. Use a twisting motion to keep it from dripping.

I use the popsicle stick method, also. Make sure you tape up the handle first, and just drip in a few drops at a time. You don't need a whole lot of epoxy to set the knot in place. If you're talking about filling the entire handle with epoxy, be careful. When the epoxy cures/sets, it generates heat; a whole handle full has been know to get hot enough to damage the handle material. I usually stick a few coins on the bottom for weight, use a trimmed wine cork to fill most of the void, and then drip in enough epoxy to glue everything in place.

I'm embarrassed to say that I never tape my handles. There's a roll of blue tape in my tool box but for some reason I never use it. That's bound to be a problem at some point but it hasn't yet. I think I should stop taking my chances.

The one handle I filled with epoxy I just squirted it into the hanlde and stirred it with a toothpick. I added it in three layers because I was worried about heat and did not want to add to much and have to Dremel it back out. Just the epoxy in the hollow handle added a nice weight to the brush.

I ended up using a plastic spoon and ran out of epoxy to fill the entire thing. That's really all I had available to me!

Any recommendations for a brand of epoxy to finish it off?

The one handle I filled with epoxy I just squirted it into the hanlde and stirred it with a toothpick. I added it in three layers because I was worried about heat and did not want to add to much and have to Dremel it back out. Just the epoxy in the hollow handle added a nice weight to the brush.
+1 to this.

I used Loctite brand epoxy to fill mine, the cheapest I could find in the double tube syringe. It was yellowish in color, but seeing that it shouldn't see the light of day the color shouldn't matter. I would use clear setting for seating the knot just in case any is visible (done carefully and it won't be visible)

I'm embarrassed to say that I never tape my handles. There's a roll of blue tape in my tool box but for some reason I never use it. That's bound to be a problem at some point but it hasn't yet. I think I should stop taking my chances.

I confess that I've been marching in Tyler's parade. :blush: On reflection, I, too, think I'll start taping the handles before breaking out the epoxy and hopefully avoid the inevitable mishap. FWIW, immediately after applying epoxy I run a Q-Tip moistened with isopropyl alcohol over the handle to take care of any small drips. I believe that acetone also will work, but I'm afraid of what that might do to a vintage handle.

I like using the flow mix stuff to fill the handle, so I don't have to mix anything, but I like the idea of shooting the standard 5 min stuff in and mixing in the handle. I couldn't have done that on my last couple, as they had glass pebble fillers stacked inside to add some weight and take up some room so I didn't have to use so much epoxy.

I confess that I've been marching in Tyler's parade. :blush: On reflection, I, too, think I'll start taping the handles before breaking out the epoxy and hopefully avoid the inevitable mishap. FWIW, immediately after applying epoxy I run a Q-Tip moistened with isopropyl alcohol over the handle to take care of any small drips. I believe that acetone also will work, but I'm afraid of what that might do to a vintage handle.
Glad to hear I'm not alone Jim. I'll reccomend that you join me in using the tape in the future!

I also would be fearful of what acetone may do to a vintage handle. That stuff it crazy.

Here's 51mm loft. Test lathered and it seems perfect. IM so scared to build a shelf and set it.

Last edited:
Ok. How do I measure inside the handle to make sure I set the shelf right? How do you make sure you set the proper amount of epoxy to that height??

I would use a set of calipers with a depth gauge. If you've got a Harbor Freight Tools near you I think you can pick one up there for about $6.

Looking mighty good so far!

I like to take a piece of something (small dowel or whatever) and get it cut to the right height (trial and error, you can fit the knot in to test), then glue that in first. Let it set up, then flow in epoxy till it comes to that level. Simple and it works.

What else could I use aside from a dowel? I really want to make sure I do this right. Something more common maybe?

I use a wine cork. You can cut it to size with a single-edge razor blade. Trial and error works. And if you wreck the cork, you'll just have to open a new bottle of wine! :a54:

I drizzle it in with a popsicle stick. Do it stepwise. Drizzle a little in. Set the right size cork or whatever else you want to put in there. Let it set for 5 minutes. then fill around whatever you dropped in, but don't go above the height of the top of your shelf. Let it cure. Then coat the plug in epoxy and set it on the shelf. You might put a little epoxy on the shelf first. You should be good to go in a day or so.

Top Bottom