What's new

Little analysis of the "What blade did you use today" thread for April 2024

Started 'scraping' March 2024 numbers. I'm eleven days in and have 'added' (7) new blades to the tally. I'll keep scraping this weekend and get an update.

I pulled in the weekend numbers. We are now up to (76) 'unique' blades for the month of April. Over the weekend, we added OK Super Stainless, SuperMax Diamond Edge, SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium, and Treet New Steel. I have recorded data for (533) shaves with DE blades.

I also started scraping March numbers, but I have about (400+) shaves left to record from there. At this point, that would add (7) new blades to the collection - Aeterna Super Stainless, Dorco ST301 Stainless, Kyone, Personna Platinum (German), Rapira Swedish Super Steel, Schick Plus Platinum, and Tatra Platinum.

Perhaps the data would be more meaningful and easier to tabulate if they were collected using a poll. The poll could track the types of blades used and not the number of uses. The first version of the poll could list the most common blade types and be expanded or revised with an "Other" choice? I'm not sure how a poll can track user/contributor numbers.
This doesn't address the problem of the echo chamber, self selecting population, but it might still be a benefit for newcomers as per Kim's comments.

There would be some interesting results if those on the Participation PIFs of @Grundi should all post. Those are often obscure or unavailable blades.
I think his last PIF of vintage Wilkinson Swords, UK London Bridges, and Chinese London Bridges are currently making their presence felt in the April numbers so far.

4/30/24 Updates added

Full list of blades reported so far:
Astra SP
Astra SS
Bic Astor
Bic Chrome Platinum
Bluebird
Bolzano Superinox
Crystal
Derby Extra
Derby Premium
Dorco Prime
Dorco ST300
Dorco Titan
Euromax
Feather Hi Stainless
FlyDear Super Platinum
Gentleman Super Platinum
Gillette 7OC Permasharp
Gillette 7OC SharpEdge ( Yellow )
Gillette 7OC Super Platinum
Gillette 7OC Super Stainless
Gillette London Bridge
Gillette Minora
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Rubie
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Super Stainless "Spoiler"
Gillette Super-Blue
Gillette Wilkinson Sword ( India )
Kai
King C Gillette
Ladas
Lord Cool
Lord Platinum
Lord Silver Star
Lord Super Chrome
Lord Super Stainless
Matgicol Platinum
Muhle
Nacet
OK Stainless Steel
PAA Stranglelet
Pannpa
Parker Premium Platinum
Perma-Sharp
Personna 74
Personna Lab Blue
Personna Med Prep
Personna Red
Polsilver SI
Polsilver Stainless
Racer SS
Rainbow
Rapira Platinum Lux
Rhinoceros XR
Schick Ultra Platinum
Shark Super Stainless
Sharp 7AM Platinum
Sharp Hi Platinum
Sharp Stainless
Sharp Star
Sharp Titanium
Shaverboy
Sputnik
Suneko Amorphous Diamond Super Stainless
SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium
SuperMax Diamond Edge
SuperMax Super Stainless
Treet Black Beauty
Treet Carbon Steel
Treet Dura Sharp
Treet Falcon
Treet King
Treet New Steel
Treet Platinum
Voskhod
Wilkinson Sword
Wilkinson Sword London Bridge
Wilkinson Sword UK
Wizamet SI

Current 'Top 10' of Blade Uses reported since April 1, 24

Perma-Sharp
Gillette Silver Blue
Personna Lab Blue
Nacet
Bic Chrome Platinum
Gillette London Bridge
Feather Hi Stainless
Astra SP
Kai

766 Data Points

Welcome to the Rapira Swedish Super Steel blade that has joined our ranks. 86 blades are now accounted for in the tally.

There has been some slight movement in the Top 10 ( we have a tie for 8th and 9th ). The Derby Premium sneaks into 10th.

Perma-Sharp
Gillette Silver Blue
Personna Lab Blue
Nacet
Bic Chrome Platinum
Feather Hi Stainless
Astra SP
Gillette London Bridge
Kai
Personna Red
Wilkinson Sword London Bridge
Wilkinson Sword
Derby Premium

I never contributed to the "What blade did you use today" thread. But, I can say that I picked up a few hundred Perma-Sharp blades in late 2024 (after learning that the Russian facility is no more). So I have almost exclusively used Perma-Sharp throughput 2024 and likely will continue for 4-5 more years to use up my stock. There might be the occasional Kai or Perma-Sharp

I never contributed to the "What blade did you use today" thread. But, I can say that I picked up a few hundred Perma-Sharp blades in late 2024 (after learning that the Russian facility is no more). So I have almost exclusively used Perma-Sharp throughput 2024 and likely will continue for 4-5 more years to use up my stock. There might be the occasional Kai or Perma-Sharp
The facility still exists, but some of the blades made there are no longer being exported as widely as they used to.

Perma-sharps are nice blades. Some of my favorites.

The facility still exists, but some of the blades made there are no longer being exported as widely as they used to.

Perma-sharps are nice blades. Some of my favorites.
Interesting. I know that Astra blades (P&G/Gillette) are no longer made in Russia and now most stock comes in India - it states that on the box

I picked up a few hundred Perma-Sharp blades ... and likely will continue for 4-5 more years to use up my stock. There might be the occasional ... Perma-Sharp

Good man! Sub out Perma-Sharp for Perma-Sharp every once in a while, just to shake things up. Variety is, after all, the spice of life!

Interesting. I know that Astra blades (P&G/Gillette) are no longer made in Russia and now most stock comes in India - it states that on the box
Blades intended for distribution outside of Russia have transitioned to either the Chinese or Indian Gillette plants, but blades intended for internal Russian use are still being manufactured in the PPI location in St. Petersburg.

I've caught up to 5/20/24 7PM

We are up to 92 reported blades now. Today we added the Clifton Classic and Rockwell blades.

The 'Top 10' has had some movement:

Perma-Sharp
Gillette Silver Blue
Nacet
Personna Lab Blue
Astra SP
Bic Chrome Platinum
Feather Hi Stainless
Kai
Wilkinson Sword
Personna Red

Reactions: Luc