What's new

List of verified counterfeit blade brands?

This week I saw a great deal on some blades I like (Derby Premium) on Amazon. When they came, the packaging was different from my last purchase. I was concerned they may be fakes, but some quick googling led me to some threads about the packaging changes and when I used one this morning it was a great shave. That led me to wonder if anyone was keeping a list of proven counterfeits we should watch out for when making a purchase? Some of those I've seen discussed and pretty much confirmed that fakes are out there are PolSilver, Astra, and anything Gillette. I found debate on if someone bought counterfeit Bic blades or if it was just the horrible quality control at Bic. It would be nice to have a compiled list in a wiki.

Good idea and it would be great to see posts showing fake vs. authentics.

It is crazy, but there are counterfeits of $10 Casio watches and $6/100 blades. Almost anything that sells is counterfeited. It is crazy.

I love Dorco Primes for an example but still wouldn’t buy them from a shady source. And they are $6-7/100!

This week I saw a great deal on some blades I like (Derby Premium) on Amazon...

That's usually the problem right there.

It's more important to buy from someone you can trust, than which brand you are buying. The problem with Amazon is there are many third-party vendors and their listings are all mixed together so you have to be pretty careful who you are buying from.

Places like Razor Blades Club and a few others on there have proven to be reliable. Others, not so much. I've gotten some good deals through recommendations from someone I trust here who has bought the same blades from the same vendor, even someone on Ebay...

That's usually the problem right there.

It's more important to buy from someone you can trust, than which brand you are buying. The problem with Amazon is there are many third-party vendors and their listings are all mixed together so you have to be pretty careful who you are buying from.

Places like Razor Blades Club and a few others on there have proven to be reliable. Others, not so much. I've gotten some good deals through recommendations from someone I trust here who has bought the same blades from the same vendor, even someone on Ebay...
I agree that counterfeit risk goes up on Amazon and auction sites, but there are people who've also claimed they got fakes from well-known shaving sites (I expect most of them buy through distributors and not directly from the manufacturer). I don't believe I got fakes, but I buy more than one brand so it would be nice to know which brands are more likely to have fakes.

A Wiki could also track packaging changes so people don't immediately assume they got fakes when all they got is updated packaging from their last purchase.

Last edited:
Ahem, a few years ago some reputable sellers were selling fakes of a very famous blade. I won't say names, IIRC it was one company in the States and one in the UK. ;)

Fine, what would you suggest, then? Rather than taking potshots as you are so keen to do!

Fine, what would you suggest, then? Rather than taking potshots as you are so keen to do!
My point was sometimes there is no guarantuee even with the reputable sellers. And on the other hand I have bought thousands of genuine blades from Amazon, different sellers. Amazon.com, Amazon.it and Amazon.de

My point was sometimes there is no guarantuee even with the reputable sellers. And on the other hand I have bought thousands of genuine blades from Amazon, different sellers. Amazon.com, Amazon.it and Amazon.de

Kind of agree. Amazon lets you pick a seller, but sometimes that is an extra step. They tend to "rotate" among the third-party sellers to give everyone a chance, I guess. I got some blades from Razor Blades Club on Amazon that were totally fine. But I have had good experience buying from RBC directly from their website, too.

The only known-to-me fakes were some Lord blades another member sent to me a long time ago. I tried one and it wouldn't even cut a hair. It was like shaving with a butter knife. Didn't tug either.

Of the couple thousands of blades I've collected, I do not believe I have ever gotten a counterfeit.

Top Bottom