What's new

Life span of shaving brush

Every 6 months I soak my badger brushes in a citric acid solution to remove soap scum from deep within the knot, as that's what causes breakage/shedding.
Ah great! I'm just looking for information about how to use citric acid solution to clean brush because vinegar takes up too much space, and I don't really like the smell of it. Thinking of citric acid since it's also a weak acid, but I was not sure if it damages the brush.

What's the concentration you used to clean it? I calculated for similar pH value as vinegar and was gonna try for 1/4~1/2 tsp with 250ml water. It could be helpful to know some sure-to-work value.

Citric acid monohydrate costs USD ~2 for 1kg (~650ml) here and I believe it'll be enough for over 200 uses.

Last edited:
Ah great! I'm just looking for information about how to use citric acid solution to clean brush because vinegar takes up too much space, and I don't really like the smell of it. Thinking of citric acid since it's also a weak acid, but I was not sure if it damages the brush.

What's the concentration you used to clean it? I calculated for similar pH value as vinegar and was gonna try for 1/4~1/2 tsp with 250ml water. It could be helpful to know some sure-to-work value.

Citric acid monohydrate costs USD ~2 for 1kg (~650ml) here and I believe it'll be enough for over 200 uses.

I didn't like the smell of vinegar on the brush either and switched to citric acid.

I use 1/3rd teaspoon in 150ml water.
I haven't found it to damage the hair in any way.

The borax solution is also about the same. It helps refresh and deodorise badger hair.

Wet shaving for decades and never had a badger brush wear out. I've broken a few handles and lost one or two in various moves but never wear out or even look bad. I don't do anything special besides rinse it out after use, shake the excess water out, and let it dry, hair hanging down.

Every 6 months I soak my badger brushes in a citric acid solution to remove soap scum from deep within the knot, as that's what causes breakage/shedding.

I expect my brushes to last decades with this process.

Once in a while, I also do a borax solution soak as that keeps the hair fresh and free of any mildew that may form in the humid monsoon season.
That also neutralizes the alkaline soap residue. I like it! :thumbup:

My cheap boar is still going strong. It's pretty much the only brush I have used (aside from trying a few here and there for a week or so) for well over a decade. If anything, it's only getting better. It has seen off many triple milled pucks, tubes of cremes, croaps, Palmolive sticks and even a stick of arko.

Top Bottom