What's new

Life span of shaving brush

I bought an Edwin jaegger super badger brush in 2014, at this point it’s pretty used up. It still functions but it’s not firm and doesn’t have a great shape anymore (some of this may be my fault too) what is the useful lifespan of a shave brush? Mine should have been replaced several years ago, but even though it’s not very poofy it still works well enough.

However I recently bought a really nice brush and I want to avoid the mistakes I made.

So did you use, abuse, wash out, hang brissels down to dry, store properly?

Howcmuch was brush in 2014, was it price point el chepo, or good quality?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I would expect a quality brush to last several decades with proper care. I believe the most important aspect of brush care is thorough rinsing after use to ensure all soap is removed, especially from the base of the knot. Ensure the brush dries between uses, although I am not totally convinced even that is necessary, but it is a good excuse for having multiple brushes. Don't worry about having a brush stand or hanging the brush upside down to dry - in my opinion it makes no difference, others may disagree.

Have you tried combing the brush? with repeated use and abuse of many years of shaves, it makes sense for the fibres to become a bit tangled or bent over. Combing the brush out, with wide teeth first and progessively getting narrower can return a lot of shape to the brush. Also a simple cleaning might yield good effects for it. Shampoo and conditioner, a short soak in a water+vinegar solution and then a thorough rinsing. As Marco said, there are brushes in good shape that are many decades old. Though there is no solution if the fibres have snapped or broken off the knot. I think a minimum of 10 years is to be expected from most brushes, given they are reasonably well taken care of.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have seen brushes that were 30 years old and looked excellent! But I also seen a few that were only a few years old and looked very bad. It all depends how good are the owners take care of it. For a quality brush the lifespan is probably several decades. I believe that the way it is cared for has the most influence for a long life.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I think cleaning the soap residue from the knot is the most important. I also like to alternate brushes so I don't use the same brush every day (unless it's synthetic). That might not be necessary - but you'll never convince me of that fact.

Actually I like to give them a couple of days rest. Anything that promotes a shelf full of brushes is a very good thing in my book.

My brush works well enough but it’s no longer very poofy. Sometimes I didn’t wash it out well. It has been traveled with l. Good to know I can’t really wear them out.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
It depends, I had a boar for more than a decade that has seen better days. That led to my current situation where I have enough brushes that each can have a good long rest whilst I use different brushes. Though this leads to some of my brushes being jealous that others get more use. Obviously the ideal situation would be to have enough brushes that I could use a different one every day for a year, then I doubt I would ever wear a brush out and none of them would have to get jealous.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I bought an Edwin jaegger super badger brush in 2014, at this point it’s pretty used up. It still functions but it’s not firm and doesn’t have a great shape anymore (some of this may be my fault too) what is the useful lifespan of a shave brush? Mine should have been replaced several years ago, but even though it’s not very poofy it still works well enough.

However I recently bought a really nice brush and I want to avoid the mistakes I made.
I've been using the same brush (Omega Pro) for about 12 years and it is still going strong and I have no plans to change.

My only brush is more than 11 years old. I have been shaving with it 3-5 days a week = more than 2 thousand times.
It’s a cheap pure badger $18 brush (now I believe it cost $35).

I traveled with it, I dropped it, I wanted to throw it away and find an excuse to buy a new one, but it still works just fine and gives me exclent lather every morning.

I broke quite a few bristles when put to much pressure while loading a hard soap. That was my mistake.

Now it has a quite distinctive doughnut hole, especially when wet, but still works well.

I can easily buy a new silvertip badger brush every week, but I hate when I don’t use things and just hoard them.

So it’s all up to you and what you want, most likely your brush can serve very-very long.

97B7057A-9E16-4765-870B-6497DAAE3BFD.jpeg

5F9D867F-CFCE-451F-ACF2-0683D17293B2.jpeg

My first brush a C&E lasted over a decade of daily use. The briarwood handle gave out before the bristles.

About a week. After that it’s time to stick it on the shelf and buy a new one. Ideally there will be another one in the post at that point.

There is very little chance that you will ever wear a brush out if you do it like this.
This has been my strategy and it is working out well 👍

Every 6 months I soak my badger brushes in a citric acid solution to remove soap scum from deep within the knot, as that's what causes breakage/shedding.

I expect my brushes to last decades with this process.

Once in a while, I also do a borax solution soak as that keeps the hair fresh and free of any mildew that may form in the humid monsoon season.

Top Bottom