What's new

Lettering question

I have my first few restoration brushes in progress. One is a Rubberset 200-3. It buffed up nicely, but some of the letters have worn down too low for the paint to stick without rubbing off. So far, I tried Testors with a brush and a Testors marker. Is there anything that can be done or are some just too worn down to apply paint to the letters?

I believe the letters are stamped or etched into the brush, correct? If so make a wash with your paint, it works best with enamel model paint. Add thinner to the paint to make it the consistency of water. Using a very small model or artist brush, dip it in the wash and just touch it to the letter. You’ll see the wash flow throughout the letter by capillary action. When the thinner evaporates, a thin layer of paint is left behind. Repeat the process until you get the lettering where you want it, but make sure it dries completely between applications.

Thanks. I gave it a try, but I think some of the letters are just too worn away. It did get me a little more coverage on another brush though, so it wasn’t in vain. I appreciate the help!

Some lettering can be too thin especially after being sanded and polished. I think on vintage brushes the lettering was pressed in with branding irons while the material was still warm from forming, and that's why crooked and uneven letters isn't uncommon. But that's part of the charm of these old handles.

Yeah, it’s totally useable, so no big deal. I’ll throw a synthetic knot in it and save a badger knot for a cleaner looking project.

The Bs in "Rubberset" are a problem, as are several of the small letters.

IMG_7131.JPG

Top Bottom