What's new

Let's Talk Shoelaces

Do any of you know where to buy top quality shoelaces? Also, do you use waxed or unwaxed shoelaces? How much length should you have left to tie a laces, so that the resulting bow is not too short or too long? Do any of you make your own custom-length shoelaces using aglets available online? Should you buy shoelaces from the manufacturer of your shoes to get the best look? What about color: Should the lace color match the shoe color, or is black a good choice for any color shoe? Any other suggestions regarding shoelaces?

Last edited:
I bought a few extra pairs of round waxed laces from Allen Edmonds that were pretty good. As for other sources I would check your cities local shoe repair shop, as mine had a better selection than other local stores.

I'm lucky that I have an Allen Edmonds store that is a 10 minute walk from me, so I always purchase laces from them. All my dress shoes and boots get AE laces.

I try to match the color of my laces as closely as possible to the shoe, or at least in the same tone. I would not, for example, put black laces on a brown shoe or vice-versa.

You didn't ask, but this is something I learned for my waxed laces, to keep them "waxed": I always used to take a beeswax candle and run old laces over it in a "sawing" motion to re-charge the wax in the lace. Last time I needed to do this, I didn't have a candle handy. I keep "Sno Seal" leather treatment on-hand for my boots, and I figured that since it had beeswax in it, I'd try it. Ended up working fantastically.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I use the Ian Knot.

proxy.php

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I use the Ian Knot.

Dr. Ouch:
Now that's really cool...thanx for sharing! :thumbsup:

BWT, I've always use the 'Criss-Cross' (left over right), lacing method (shoes, boots ect...), and tie with a 'Granny Knot'. :thumbsup:

Shoelaces.png
"You know you're having a bad day...when your shoelaces conspire against you". CBJ

For my everyday black walking shoes I use contrasting colour laces. Like, fluorescent orange, green, or yellow.
I'll also cut up two pairs and resew them to get two-colour laces. I have a red and green pair for December, and a red and white pair for June-July (for Canada Day, July 1).

My favourite lacing method for single-colour laces is "Train Track Lacing", like these:
proxy.php

For two-colour laces I go with either regular criss-cross or "Double Helix Lacing", for a barber pole effect, similar to this:
proxy.php

In that photo it looks like they just doubled up using two whole laces per shoe.

I may try that Double Helix Lacing in my skates and some high cuts, looks promising.

And cool site in the link John. Thanks for posting that.

dave

I do straight bar lacing when my shoes/eyelets allow for it on closed vamp shoes.

Also, make sure you are tying your shoes properly. Look up "Terry Moore TED talk". Before this I was constantly tying my shoes. Now I might have to re-tie once a month at most.

I do straight bar lacing when my shoes/eyelets allow for it on closed vamp shoes.

Also, make sure you are tying your shoes properly. Look up "Terry Moore TED talk". Before this I was constantly tying my shoes. Now I might have to re-tie once a month at most.

Yup, on Friday, thanks to John Roses post above i learned i've spent a lifetime doing it wrong and like you spent too much time retying shoe laces, some laces were far worse then others. Never too old to learn!
dave

+1 on the train track lacing method. I have had several foot surgeries, and this method seems to put less pressure on my feet.

What about color: Should the lace color match the shoe color, or is black a good choice for any color shoe?
Depends on the shoe and what sort of look you're going for. I have a pair of Gustin Horween Dublin Low Tops and I like that the laces contrast against the leather. I also have a pair of their Horween CXL #8 High Tops and I like that the laces on those are a close match ot the leather.

I buy
Waxed Cotton Thin Round Shoe Laces Dress Wax Cord Brogues Shoes 2.5mm 90cm
From China, in black, via Ebay. Low priced laces for my high end dress shoes.

Thanks for the great choices on lace tying. It's great how we learn so much for each other, because of this forum.

Top Bottom