What's new

Let's talk hamons on vintage straights

Let me start this by saying that I LOVE hamons on anything, knives, sword, razors or whatever. I have made a few knives that have had nice hamons on them and I love how each one is different in their own way.

So I was reading the other thread that was posted a few days ago on a Japanese razor wondering if it would have a hamon if it was polished. And this got me thinking, shouldn't most if not all razors have some sort of hamon on them? Especially the high hollow ground ones.

Yes most hamons are created using some sort of insulator on the spine during heat treat and quenching. Be it clay, satinite, refractory cement or what ever. But you can also create a natural occurring hamon with a thick spine and a thin edge on high carbon steel. The spine would cool at a slower rate than the edge thus creating the temper line.

I got a 8/8 full hollow Herder in the mail today that had scratches in it that my buffer wouldn't take out unless I wanted to spend days buffing it. So I got the wet dry sandpaper out and went to town. Strayed at 220 to get the scratches out and moved on and at about 400 I started to notice up near the spine there was a slight change in the steel when looked at in the light. Yep a nice hamon. Not a straight line but a "cloudy" one. I got excited and progressed up to 1500 grit pretty quickly just to see what it would look like fully polished.

Here's the best pic I could get of it. They are hard as hell to photograph unless it is a very high grit polish or etched in some way. I'll try and get around to etching it tomorrow night so it will show up better. But I need to go back down to 400 grit to remove some scratches some this one isn't going on the buffer now. It won't be the prettiest, there some deep rust one the toe

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410844451.048307.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410844461.016875.jpg

Has anyone else ever noticed one on their razors?

Any sort of buffing or polishing paste will erase them pretty quickly so unless you are looking for it, you might miss it.

I guess it depends on how it was cooled and whether or not it was done in a controlled environment?

Yeah I guess there are a lot of factors that would come into play. But pretty much all high carbon steel, to my knowledge, is pull out of the oven and quench in oil or water as soon as possible.

Hi!Matt.
How's your hamon?
I found another from Yukio Kamijo but a bit different from Iwasaki.
$20140918_215843.jpg
With Aoto
$20140918_213305.jpg
Before aoto with kovax sand paper 1000

Can't say I have ever seen one (or really looked)

Yeah I hadn't ever noticed one either till I started looking for them. I'm sure there are a lot out there with them just by the way they are heat treated.

They have to be sanded to show up. If you buff them it will smooth them out. I guess it's the difference in the hardness of the steel when sanded that makes them show. If you even hit it on blue compound on a buffer it will disappear quickly. Even Maas makes them fade.

I'll try and etch that Herder tonight so it can be seen better.

Yeah I hadn't ever noticed one either till I started looking for them. I'm sure there are a lot out there with them just by the way they are heat treated.

They have to be sanded to show up. If you buff them it will smooth them out. I guess it's the difference in the hardness of the steel when sanded that makes them show. If you even hit it on blue compound on a buffer it will disappear quickly. Even Maas makes them fade.

I'll try and etch that Herder tonight so it can be seen better.

Hi!
actually it not about the smooth but about shiny.Uchigumori that can contrast them better because it show the real color of steel better not so much reflex with light but have to be smooth to see them so clear.

Plein.

Yes. That's what I was saying. When hand sanded the different hardness in the steels polish at a different rate.

Put something with a hamon on a buffer and see what happens. It's not really about being shiny per say.

I know that in traditional finishing they use different stones to polish above and below the hamon. But using sand paper and them etching with warm lemon juice or vinegar will make them stand out also. My favorite way is normally to etch in ferric chloride, makes a smoky dark hamon. Like this. Two knives I made a long time ago.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411078029.163244.jpg

Matt,

Very lovely knife.I think it upon what people love.I'm the one that don't like acid but not mean I hate it.

Actually I quite hate the hamon before .'till I got a knife that polish by real polisher.That why I love the stone over acid(but have to get right stone).this is the knife I said.

$image.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom