What's new

Let's talk about steel

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I believe (but have no proof) that Gold Dollar SR are generally made of just plain old high carbon steel (HCS). I have found that the GDs are normally harder than most Sheffield SRs. This would be due to their heat treatment, more so than the steel type.

GD also sell "stainless steel" blades. By this I think they mean their normal HCS with just a bit (not like we are use to with real stainless steel) of added chromium in the mix.

I can’t tell you that. Sorry. I also can’t presume to tell you about metallurgy, grain size, the history of mines, guess at the composition of steels and what makes a better edge ( yeah, I’ve made razors) and I’m not that esoteric to be so presumptuous to lay any claim.
But I can say most of the frowned upon GD’s I’ve built ( if done properly!) have no problem keeping pace with the Swiss, German, English , American , Japanese steels I’ve restored or have . I’m sure many don’t want to hear it . But that’s my experience.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I can’t tell you that. Sorry. I also can’t presume to tell you about metallurgy, grain size, the history of mines, guess at the composition of steels and what makes a better edge ( yeah, I’ve made razors) and I’m not that esoteric to be so presumptuous to lay any claim.
But I can say most of the frowned upon GD’s I’ve built have no problem keeping pace with the Swiss, German, English , American steels I’ve restored or have . I’m sure many don’t want to hear it . But that’s my experience.
I couldn't agree more. Over the years, I have honed up and shaved very successfully with about 20 GD SRs and never experienced a steel problem.

Indeed, my most favoured SR is a GD W59. This could have something to do with the blade's profile that demands greater concentration when shaving 😁. I like to keep its toe pointy and sharp.

IMG_20211223_165339.jpg

But I can say most of the frowned upon GD’s I’ve built have no problem keeping pace with the Swiss, German, English , American , Japanese steels I’ve restored or have . I’m sure many don’t want to hear it . But that’s my experience.

Yep! I was a little taken aback by it tbh...

I don't have that much experience with using and honing GDs, but I have ground a lot of different steels on belts &c., and the steel that this GD is made from is pretty decent quality in the grand scheme of things. It's way better than the trashy stuff used on cheap kitchen knives for example.

Doesn't surprise me a jot that people rate these razors fairly highly, especially given the price.

I fixed this for another member last week, turning his broken GD into a shorty:

View attachment 1658643

View attachment 1658637

View attachment 1658638

And I was wondering... can anyone tell me for certain what kind of steel is used for GDs? It's either really quite hard, or quite wear resistant, or more likely - both. This was very significantly more difficult to grind than any of the old Sheffields I've done before.
Dechromed, recycled automobile bumpers..

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I fixed this for another member last week, turning his broken GD into a shorty:

View attachment 1658643

View attachment 1658637

View attachment 1658638

And I was wondering... can anyone tell me for certain what kind of steel is used for GDs? It's either really quite hard, or quite wear resistant, or more likely - both. This was very significantly more difficult to grind than any of the old Sheffields I've done before.
According to a member who generously tested a GD for me with his shop's XRF gun, the steel assays out to very similar to 5140, just slightly less carbon. Hardness can vary but I honestly don't think very many are under HRC58. Mostly I suspect around 58 to 59. Some few are a touch harder. Try cutting it with a good quality file. If the file skitters it is about 58-ish. If it just slides like glass, it is above 60. If it bites and cuts a just a tiny bit it is 56 or under. That is what I was told and I go by that. Keeping in mind that some files are harder than others. You can get special testing files, I think they are around $50 for a set.

Hardness is nothing like Swedish steel, but it significantly harder than a lot of Sheffield blades. It can be a bit on the grainy side. If you have a few old GDs just laying around, try snapping one in two in yoru bench vise. Use eye protection! Then do an old basket case vintage razor. Compare the grain.

I have been saying for some time now, that a GD is a very good value for the money. If you want a premium razor, it won't do. But if you want an inexpensive razor, the top shelf one is out of the question and the GD is king.

Top Bottom