What's new

Let's talk about Spam

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have a very strong connection to SPAM. I am not a huge fan of the flavor. We never ate it at home when I was young. It was a minor fixture of my childhood camping trips with the scouts and with the family. It’s not gross or anything. I can eat it. But I do not prefer it. However I do have a professional tie to SPAM.

I develop experiential activations for live events and museums. Digital interactive experiences like touchscreens, games, photo experiences, VR, AR, etc. In 2016 I helped build the new SPAM Museum in Austin MN. I did most of the digital stuff there. I have a couple dozen screens. Games, Recipe kiosks, brand information, interactive maps. We have a fun game where visitors can combine various ingredients with SPAM and other Hormel products to create their own recipes. And a Monty Python based SPAM-A-Lot game with an angry birds style interface. Really fun stuff. The museum is super cool, and the people that work there are the best. They are a great customer, and keep me building new and fun experiences for their guests. If you are ever passing through southern Minnesota, you need to stop and visit.

2FEE80CE-587D-41DC-8F07-42FA83003EE9.png

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
In 2016 I helped build the new SPAM Museum in Austin MN. I did most of the digital stuff there.

When I was in graduate school at the University of Iowa I spent a lot of weekend time on the interstate system between there and the farm in Flandreau, SD. I-80 to I-35 to I-90 to I-29; 450 miles each way.

Aside from the stretch of I-90 between Blue Earth and Sioux Falls being the worst road to ride a rigid-frame motorcycle on at speed, I also remember the billboards advertising the museum. My favourite was just an illustration of a can of Spam, and the slogan "Like You're Not Curious."

I never did stop. It was either late in my ride and I just wanted to get home and get off the bike or it was early in my ride and I just wanted to get as far as I could before the heat of the day rolled in.

I kept a few cans of Spam in the cupboard for emergency meals, though.

O.H.

My boys love musubi. Before the boys came along my wife would make spam musubi every time I had a fishing trip. i Like a Hawaiian breakfast for dinner from time to time. Fried spam, white rice, scrambled eggs and sriracha. Also spam fried rice, with kimchi for us adults. Youngest likes cubed spam in a quesadilla. I avoid salt tese days so spam is a rare treat.

SPAM is very popular in the UK still.

You can still get SPAM fritters (SPAM fried in a light batter) at better class Fish and chip shops.

My late Mother, a fount of all historical knowledge to me, mentioned that she first had SPAM in around May or June 1941, when Lease-Lend came in and a mass of US tinned and dried delicacies, such as tinned meats, vegetables, fruits, tinned cheese and dried eggs began to appear on the new points system (you had 20-40 points per month that you could spend. A tin of peaches might be 15 points, etc) You still had the regular weekly ration allocations in addition. She said there was also a SPAM called TREAT or something like that.

She worked at Bristows, in North London, doing a 50 hour week at 16. Making soap. Vital war work. She hauled huge trolleys full of cartons of soap bigger than she was to the lorries. Later she made electronics components in black boxes and then weirdly for a brief period, yellow rubber ducks. I have no idea what that was all about. Bath toys for morale?

They first got SPAM in the factory canteen. SPAM in bread rolls during the mid-morning tea break. She said it was delicious. The SPAM was nicely spiced she recalled. I remember her trying it decades later for the first time in my presence. She said it was no way as good as it was as she remembered. Didn't have any flavour she stated.

Mrs Ladd and I always have one SPAM based meal on our camping weeks.

Last edited:
SPAM is very popular in the UK still.

You can still get SPAM fritters (SPAM fried in a light batter) at better class Fish and chip shops.

My late Mother, a fount of all historical knowledge to me, mentioned that she first had SPAM in around May or June 1941, when Lease-Lend came in and a mass of US tinned and dried delicacies, such as tinned meats, vegetables, fruits, tinned cheese and dried eggs began to appear on the new points system (you had 20-40 points per month that you could spend. A tin of peaches might be 15 points, etc) You still had the regular weekly ration allocations in addition. She said there was also a SPAM called TREAT or something like that.

She worked at Bristows, in North London, doing a 50 hour week at 16. Making soap. Vital war work. She hauled huge trolleys full of cartons of soap bigger than she was to the lorries. Later she made electronics components in black boxes and then weirdly for a brief period, yellow rubber ducks. I have no idea what that was all about. Bath toys for morale?

They first got SPAM in the factory canteen. SPAM in bread rolls during the mid-morning tea break. She said it was delicious. The SPAM was nicely spiced she recalled. I remember her trying it decades later for the first time in my presence. She said it was no way as good as it was as she remembered. Didn't have any flavour she stated.

Mrs Ladd and I always have one SPAM based meal on our camping weeks.

Thanks for sharing that glimpse into your mother's life during the war years. She along with countless other non-combatants were vital members of 'The greatest generation.' :thumbsup:

Last edited:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I had previously avoided Spam based just on reputation. It is the victim of such a poor reputation in the popular culture that I always wrote it off as not worth my time. What a fool I was!

This all changed when I tried it at a Hawaiian restaurant. I was blown away by how delicious it was.

Since that time I have been having it once or twice a week. It's cheap, delicious, and dependable!

In this thread, let's post our favorite recipes. Hopefully we'll get an ongoing thing going!

I slice it thin, fry it, and make it like a BLT.

I've also done a stir fry with rice and veggies, and don't mind it fried with eggs and toast for breakfast.

We buy the 6-pack at Costco.

My wife eats it, but doesn't share the love I have for the pressed pig parts. I don't care, it takes me back to my childhood summers eating Spam sandwiches and drinking grape Kool-Aid.

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
Spam is great.

And I hope I am not spoiling it for anyone when I recall reading that Spam is the closest tasting thing to human flesh. I think this was in Paul Theroux’s travel book, Paddling The Pacific, and he said that Spam is especially popular in places like Papua New Guinea where cannibalism was practiced in the past. In antiquated language they called human flesh ‘long pig’ because of its resemblance to pork. I think that is the most interesting fact I know about Spam, and possibly the most educated thing I have yet posted on B&B.

Last edited:
Top Bottom