What's new

Let's see your bird pictures!

On a technical basis, I have no idea :tongue_sm

All I know is that on my screen when I download from Imgur the picture somehow seems 'sharper', unless it's in my head? I'll repost one of the gull shots here from Imgur, and maybe you or others can see a difference?

Cash, constructive criticism from someone who doesn't yet know what they are doing haha!

It seems to me that all of your pictures are a bit over saturated for my personal taste, though that might be your thing, so please take that comment with a grain of salt.

I've had this mentioned before, and though saturation isn't something I tend to tinker with, for some reason I seem to like adding a little contrast and dropping the overall lightness of the colors, (darkening the picture). On that subject, and if you or anyone wants to jump in here that would be great too:

I up contrast then drop color lightness as it seems to help bring out finer details (like a water wave or something), and it makes my subject whatever it may be jump out a little more. That said it works awesome when I'm doing a black and white, but I can't seem to balance this in color? Personally, I can't find my own happy medium too much color and not enough, if that makes sense?

It's funny how saturation is such a matter of individual taste.

In January, I went to a photography exhibit. Well over 50 photographers were exhibited there. There was a judging by professionals and a peoples' choice done by voting of those who attended. The professionals gave the top three awards to photos that tended to be subdued or as one member of the public commented, "washed out." On the other hand, the public chose the more dynamic photos.

We had the opportunity to see what one expert could do with the various Adobe platforms. One of the photos he worked on was that of a blue heron. The final products were so different you would have thought they were different photos and not one photo adjusted for different results.

It has been very hot here in Tucson, this early on with temps hovering around 113-115/ Saw this Dove in the Morning

$Tucson bird.jpg

Came back a few minutes later and this

$Tucson bird 1.jpg

Now that is Hot!!!!!

.... Sorry :blushing:I had to :lol:

Last edited:

In January, I went to a photography exhibit. Well over 50 photographers were exhibited there. There was a judging by professionals and a peoples' choice done by voting of those who attended. The professionals gave the top three awards to photos that tended to be subdued or as one member of the public commented, "washed out." On the other hand, the public chose the more dynamic photos.

We had the opportunity to see what one expert could do with the various Adobe platforms. One of the photos he worked on was that of a blue heron. The final products were so different you would have thought they were different photos and not one photo adjusted for different results.

Agreed, it can be incredible what post production can do to a photo!

Cash, I really hope that my above comments didn't come across in an ill manner, they certainly were not intended that way.

really true.

when i was first submitting digital scans of film to various publishers and stock agencies, I was getting huge number of rejections for over-saturation, loss of detail and excess noise.
so i had to learn the hard way.
it's so easy in post-processing to over-punch an image, resulting in loss of subtle tone and detail, while introducing more noise.
most editors prefer a more 'vanilla' file, since they can crop, add contrast, etc for their own publication needs.
for the photographer, it's a balancing act, akin to a lady wearing less or more makeup.

here's an example from one of my shoots.
although taken on a sunny day, which enhanced contrast, my exposure and white balance were off just a tad.
dialing in the right amount of post-processing then becomes a balancing act and I try to err on the conservative side.

An additional complication is the 'trueness' of whatever display monitor is being used for the post-processing work.
It used to be I found myself really over-processing whenever it was with a laptop, due to lower contrast of those screens as well as variances in viewing angle.
Such that a file that I processed on the laptop ended up looking garish on the desktop monitor.
Current version laptop displays have improved a lot, but this is still a source of variation.

and going back to 'original capture', let's not overlook the steps that we can take to manage contrast and saturation at time of image capture.
Eg, proper exposure, avoid overly-contrasty lighting, add fill lighting or flash to the main subject, or use graduated filter or polarizer to manage contrast, shoot in 'raw' to preserve latitude and detail.

proxy.php

Eagle on Bottom Left, I'd pick that from the litter. And the point you made about different monitor's, that's certainly very true as well. Every body on here is certainly seeing a slightly different picture from what was intended by whoever posted it. When I switch between my TV monitor, laptop and tablet, all these pictures look a little sharper, or duller, or whatever that screen has to offer.

Agreed, it can be incredible what post production can do to a photo!

Cash, I really hope that my above comments didn't come across in an ill manner, they certainly were not intended that way.

'Ill Manner'? Nah! Criticism and feedback is needed in this kind of stuff. I appreciate more when people bother to point out flaws and mistakes then just say "Great Pic" or something. I can't be aware of my mistakes if people don't point them out. Also, the feed back from peoples different ways of calling a photo 'good' helps in learning what and what not to do in editing.

Keep the feedback rollin'.

Little hummingbird hanging out in my backyard...sorry for the quality - it was low light and a crappy camera LOL.
proxy.php

Steve

This duck was in a pond doing a lot of cleaning on her feathers. Then she jumped out of the water and stood up quite straight and gave her wings a good shake. As you can tell, I post processed it quite a bit for fun.

$Duck.jpg

Top Bottom