What's new

Let's see those vintage blade banks.

Here's a rough draft of a work in progress. Thanks to @Rayotech for posting pictures of his awesome art-deco style blade bank.
20221009_054938.jpg

Here's a rough draft of a work in progress. Thanks to @Rayotech for posting pictures of his awesome art-deco style blade bank.View attachment 1536214
If you decide to sell one let me know. I’d like to get a 3D printer one of these days with all the useful stuff you can make anymore.

It came out really great but I’d run it through at one of the slowest settings to see if it came out looking less 3D printy but even as it is it looks great.

Is it possible to run things through them much slower to eliminate the 3D printing texture? And if not are they sandable or does that make the material look much worse?

If you decide to sell one let me know. I’d like to get a 3D printer one of these days with all the useful stuff you can make anymore.

It came out really great but I’d run it through at one of the slowest settings to see if it came out looking less 3D printy but even as it is it looks great.

Is it possible to run things through them much slower to eliminate the 3D printing texture? And if not are they sandable or does that make the material look much worse?
Yes, it is designed with a 0.12 layer increment and no supports. What you see in the picture is a fast draft print simply to troubleshoot minimal segment length on the geometry. It is printed at .2 and 60mm/s on an FDM printer. This type of design is more suitable for SLA printers which is what I will finalize the design for. One finished, I'll specify SLA versus FDM, and I'll upload the files to my Thingiverse page. Thanks to @Rayotech for sparkling the idea.

Ok, I think this is as close as I'm going to get at duplicating the art-deco-style blade bank posted by @Rayotech . There is some tapering on the sides like the original but not on top. This makes for a cleaner print and minimizes visible layer lines. I added angles inside at the top of the chamber. The idea is to make it hopefully impossible to shake the blades out through the slot since they'll never line up with the slot. The bottom cover simply snaps on similar to a battery cover. I designed this blade bank for easy printing without print supports, and the resolution is high enough that you shouldn't see any artifacts when printing with SLA printers. I'll upload the files on Thingiverse soon. Thanks to @Rayotech for posting additional pictures. Very helpful

Blade Bank Screenshot.jpg

20221014_172301.jpg

20221014_172625.jpg

20221014_172932.jpg

The files for the art deco blade bank are now available for download on my Thingiverse page.

The files for the art deco blade bank are now available for download on my Thingiverse page.
SlimGem
Got my white one today, my friends son printed it out for me.

Happy with your effort on this design! Easier to use the trap door in this one than the original. The original uses a tin stamped door that must be pried out. The size difference is perfect and does not look out of place.

Heres the two side by side for comparison. Now to figure out painting the trim black and the lettering maybe in red or maybe the trim and lettering in red? then giving the whole thing a clear coat for shine!

52CF6F63-34E1-41DB-BB29-0946447907CD.jpeg

1CA3C274-66D9-4287-9981-38D40A1AB9F5.jpeg

SlimGem
Got my white one today, my friends son printed it out for me.

Happy with your effort on this design! Easier to use the trap door in this one than the original. The original uses a tin stamped door that must be pried out. The size difference is perfect and does not look out of place.

Heres the two side by side for comparison. Now to figure out painting the trim black and the lettering maybe in red or maybe the trim and lettering in red? then giving the whole thing a clear coat for shine!

View attachment 1540409
View attachment 1540411
Looks great! And I was thinking my version was smaller. Glad it worked out.

Ok, I think this is as close as I'm going to get at duplicating the art-deco-style blade bank posted by @Rayotech . There is some tapering on the sides like the original but not on top. This makes for a cleaner print and minimizes visible layer lines. I added angles inside at the top of the chamber. The idea is to make it hopefully impossible to shake the blades out through the slot since they'll never line up with the slot. The bottom cover simply snaps on similar to a battery cover. I designed this blade bank for easy printing without print supports, and the resolution is high enough that you shouldn't see any artifacts when printing with SLA printers. I'll upload the files on Thingiverse soon. Thanks to @Rayotech for posting additional pictures. Very helpful

View attachment 1539394
View attachment 1539391
View attachment 1539392
View attachment 1539393
That cavity for the used blades looks smaller then you’d expect unless I’m missing something there. I’d probably make mine just a simple cavity if it would allow for more uses blades.

I love how these turned out though. It makes me really want to invest in a 3D printer since I’d love to have one of these blade banks. There’s plenty of other shaving & gun related stuff I could 3D print but that’s a whole new rabbit hole to go down and I’m not sure how much money and time I would have to invest.

I have a couple ideas floating in my head though to expand on this design. Perhaps make another box just like this except instead of 1 row of blades make it 4-5 rows for your different blades. And maybe above all the rows at the backside you could have a very thin layer of polymer with magnets behind it to put 4-5 used razor blades with a set of dice below each one to count how many times it’s been used. I’m not sure if this would look good or not….. but so many possibilities.

That cavity for the used blades looks smaller then you’d expect unless I’m missing something there. I’d probably make mine just a simple cavity if it would allow for more uses blades.

I love how these turned out though. It makes me really want to invest in a 3D printer since I’d love to have one of these blade banks. There’s plenty of other shaving & gun related stuff I could 3D print but that’s a whole new rabbit hole to go down and I’m not sure how much money and time I would have to invest.

I have a couple ideas floating in my head though to expand on this design. Perhaps make another box just like this except instead of 1 row of blades make it 4-5 rows for your different blades. And maybe above all the rows at the backside you could have a very thin layer of polymer with magnets behind it to put 4-5 used razor blades with a set of dice below each one to count how many times it’s been used. I’m not sure if this would look good or not….. but so many possibilities.
Honestly, sounds like a good idea! Would be interesting to see that design!

Honestly, sounds like a good idea! Would be interesting to see that design!
I’d love to see it as well and it may be a tad too much in size to look good like this little blade bank but it also may look just as awesome if done right. It would probably take a couple trial runs modifying sizes of things to get it just right.

If anyone does attempt this I advise putting the magnets on the backside of the plastic so the used blade goes against plastic instead of the magnet. I have magnetic strips on my walls for used blades and many of the platinum coated blades have discoloration after a few days where they go against the magnet. I believe if plastic was between the blade and magnet this wouldn’t be an issue. Or even a thin layer of wood that could be inserted may look great too.

Out of curiosity about how much would it cost to get started with a 3D printer? I wouldn’t need a high end one but I don’t want any junk either. Something as user friendly as possible. I’m capable of learning complicated applications but would rather not have to.

Top Bottom