What's new

Let's see those knives!

$G0412-35th-ANNIVERSARY-MARK-I_0007.jpg

My two main EDCs. One of my JRPs and a Michael Burch Mid Tech Dao.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 245
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 242
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 244
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 242
Not sure how I acquired the "Spyderco Man" custom title, even though I do like their knives. I have a friend with two filing cabinet drawers full of boxed, mainly rare, unusual, and/or high end Spydercos, including things like balisong trainers that are no longer made, so I feel my small collection pales in comparison. That same friend has a folding karambit style knife that he designed for Spyderco, which is coming out in 2014. Keep an eye out for that if you're a Spyderco fan. It's a novel, ingenious design, imo.

All these are VG-10 made in Seki City, Japan, except for the little Grasshopper at the top (China) and the Pacific Salt (H1 steel = corrosion proof). I plan on using the Grasshopper for learning to add texture to knives with stainless steel handles. I carry the Kiwi or Wharncliffe Urban most days.
$P1080693.jpg

The case hawkbill is a pretty ridiculous knife and has the strongest spring I've ever seen. The little Gerber is wonderful for ultralight backpacking trips. The Felco pruner at the bottom is a wonderful little knife that I use for gardening tasks. The knives with raw carbon scales are made by Xicar.
$P1080703.jpg

My little collection of Case and Schrade (all made in the USA) knives. The top knife was the first knife my dad ever gave me. The fourth from the top was the second. The top five knives are my favorite because they fit nicely in a pocket. The others weigh too much or take up too much room. I should probably part ways with those larger knives, as I only carry large knives if they have slim scales and have a clip. The Pacific Salt and Goddard (yellow and maroon handles, respectively) in the first photo above are big knives but are surprisingly nice to carry clipped inside a jeans pocket. I hardly notice them.
$P1080707.jpg

I have a couple fixed blade knives, but we moved recently. I'll photograph those when I find them.

-Andy

Last edited:
bought another EDC and it arrived yesterday. its a rough rider baby toothpick in jigged bone. they are really cheap but seem excellently made and I was pleasantly surprised!

bought another EDC and it arrived yesterday. its a rough rider baby toothpick in jigged bone. they are really cheap but seem excellently made and I was pleasantly surprised!

Rough Rider and the Boker Bonsai series are well made knives for folks on a budget and/or those who just have other financial priorities (i.e., don't want to blow a lot of money on a pocket knife... understandable.).

-Andy

Last edited:
Yeah, Tim does some amazing work. The one shown on his page is sandvik steel, I believe. This one is BG-42. I also have this pretty sweet santoku by him.

Pretty simple, really.

-Andy

I really meant in comparison to the brands such as Case that are generally considered higher quality, but in reality in terms of fit and finish they're not far above Rough Rider, yet the price tag is significantly higher

I really meant in comparison to the brands such as Case that are generally considered higher quality, but in reality in terms of fit and finish they're not far above Rough Rider, yet the price tag is significantly higher

I think it speaks to how much the knife makers are paid in their respective countries. Take a look at the Magnum by Boker Bonsai series. I think the barlow is particularly nice looking, and its a steal at $10. Criminal, one could say. A Rough Rider may be as nice as a Case, but the person creating a Rough Rider doesn't get paid accordingly. His/her standard of living is much lower than the person making a Case knife. It's depressing to think there are craftsmen out there earning so little in exchange for their skill.

Also, if Rough Rider offered their knives at the same prices that Case asks for theirs, very few Rough Riders would be sold. People have been conditioned to think "Made in China = Inexpensive/Cheap", which it is because of the first point I made above. For a number of reasons, I'd rather save up and buy a knife made in the US or Europe, even though there are a few quality Chinese knives I'd like to own.

Anyway, "Hooray knives!" Let's see some more!

-Andy

More knives it is then! Here's my modest collection, sorry about the poor photo -

$1005707_10151749479669994_1821281567_n.jpg

From left to right -
Victorinox German army knife
Spyderco UKPK FRN, hollow ground
Spyderco Kiwi
EKA Swede 90
Rough Rider Moonshiner - sowbelly gunstock
Rough Rider Whittler
Rough Rider Baby Toothpick
Rough Rider Peanut
A. Wright & Sons (Sheffield) clip point, rosewood handle
Japanese Higonokami
Amefa KL - Dutch army knife estimated to be WWII era

All UK legal with the exception of the Victorinox which has a locking blade

More knives it is then! Here's my modest collection, sorry about the poor photo -

View attachment 344104

From left to right -
Victorinox German army knife
Spyderco UKPK FRN, hollow ground
Spyderco Kiwi
EKA Swede 90
Rough Rider Moonshiner - sowbelly gunstock
Rough Rider Whittler
Rough Rider Baby Toothpick
Rough Rider Peanut
A. Wright & Sons (Sheffield) clip point, rosewood handle
Japanese Higonokami
Amefa KL - Dutch army knife estimated to be WWII era

All UK legal with the exception of the Victorinox which has a locking blade

how thick is the peanut in comparison to the toothpick? I was torn between them but thought the peanut might be too chunky to fit in the small notes (?) pocket above my jeans right pocket... I think I need to get one regardless!... and a higonokami while i'm at it, where did you pick yours up? i'm struggling to find anywhere in the UK that stocks them

how thick is the peanut in comparison to the toothpick? I was torn between them but thought the peanut might be too chunky to fit in the small notes (?) pocket above my jeans right pocket... I think I need to get one regardless!... and a higonokami while i'm at it, where did you pick yours up? i'm struggling to find anywhere in the UK that stocks them

The peanut's maybe 3mm thicker, not too significant, I think overall I prefer it - the main blade shape makes it a bit stronger and the spearpoint blade's nice. As for the higonokami.. Oddly I found it on the website for some UK fashion retailer under accessories, but I just checked and they've stopped selling them. To be honest, although they do look nice they feel very unsafe - being a friction folder without a tightening screw you have to hammer it to tighten up the blade and it's only your thumb holding it open and it has very little purchase. I could see the blade slipping and causing some nasty injuries, so I don't really carry it. I just realised I didn't include my Svord Peasant mini in that photo, if you want a friction folder I'd strongly suggest these over the higonokami because of the very long tang, they feel solid as a rock when you're using them and again they're UK legal :thumbup:

thank you, I don't think the extra 3mm will cause me any troubles :biggrin1: I do like the look of the svord and after I thought about it both that and the higonokami would probably not be a good idea considering my age and the fact I get judged often, just for pulling out the toothpick or a small opinel. I'm young and carry a pocket knife, therefore I must be a criminal right?

Top Bottom