What's new

Less Irritation With "More Aggressive" Razors?

I am just wondering how many of you have experienced less irritation from razors generally considered "more aggressive" by members of the forum.

I had been using Super Speeds and a Tech since starting with a DE. I got a Merkur 38C for Christmas, used it the other day (for the first time), and I got what was probably the best shave of my life. Even better, I was using a 7am blade, which I hate. I can't wait to see how this baby does with a Derby or IP.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

That's my experience to a "T", but with a slant, open combs and a progress. I generally get razor burn with "milder" razors such as superspeeds, but BBS with zero irritation with a fatboy at 7 or 8 or a slant.

I am just wondering how many of you have experienced less irritation from razors generally considered "more aggressive" by members of the forum.

I had been using Super Speeds and a Tech since starting with a DE. I got a Merkur 38C for Christmas, used it the other day (for the first time), and I got what was probably the best shave of my life. Even better, I was using a 7am blade, which I hate. I can't wait to see how this baby does with a Derby or IP.

For me the Super Speeds seem more aggressive than the Merkur fixed head razors such as the 38C, HD, Classic and 1904. It could be a function of blade angle, but I've never had good success with the vintage Gillette's. That's why I shave exclusively with Merkur fixed head razors. My current rotation includes the HD, Classic and 1904. I also have a Slant but I've not become accustomed to it, since it is markedly more aggressive than the fixed heads!

After this experience, I've been thinking about trying a slant, but I'm worried it might be overkill for me.

After this experience, I've been thinking about trying a slant, but I'm worried it might be overkill for me.

The Slant...a razor to use with a great deal of respect! I've used one several times and it will give you BBS shaves for sure. Ya' just gotta' use a light hand. I got rid of my chrome Slant because I have some tremor in my hands and the HD is challenge enough for me! But don't be afraid of them...they can give you a sweet shave! You do NEED one more razor don't ya'?

Its really a matter of personal preference.

I find I prefer more aggressive razors - Merkur fixed head razors, Progress set between 3 and 4 and the Gillette NEW razors.

I get less irritation from these razors for the simple reason that I have to do fewer passes/less clean up to get the shave I want. With SS razors and Techs, I have to go over the tough bits more and that's when I tend to get some burn/irritation.

One of my favorite razors is the Gillette NEW. It is considered to be aggressive but I get very comfortable shaves with it. No nicks, no irritation.

The slant is a good razor. That said, I usually shave with a 38c or Vision that has been dialed-down. The slant is not very forgiving and I can get the same results with less risk from the two razors mentioned above.

The slant is a good razor. That said, I usually shave with a 38c or Vision that has been dialed-down. The slant is not very forgiving and I can get the same results with less risk from the two razors mentioned above.

Thank you very much for sharing this with me.

It seems to me that the more experienced and skillful a shaver you are, then the more aggressive razor you move to. With that theory in mind, would one be better off buying an adjustable and simply moving up the scale and using sharper blades?

I get less irritation and a closer shave w the more aggressive DE settings. The results (to me) are well worth the slightly extra care required.

I have settled on a Gillette fatboy on 8 or 9. I remember starting on setting 1 some decades ago, quickly progressing to 9.

I prefer "aggressive" so much that I will soon be switching to a straight razor.

Top Bottom