What's new

Less expensive alternative to DR Harris/Taylors?

That's a price range I'm interested in too. Nothing that breaks the bank. Unfortunately I don't think the web-based shops or reviewers are really servicing that particular market niche very well, and I can't exactly blame them.

I think I've said it before but I was impressed with Derby Normal. Arko Sensitive is apparrently similar (same company making it, just different brand name) and costs about 3 dollars plus shipping on the web (from web-based Turkish gift/craft/goods shops). The smell was nothing to write home about but the shaving was very good.

Tom's of Maine is OK except the formulation is wonky- too hard. I shouldn't have to heat up the paste to turn it into cream. Maybe Kiss My Face is better? The price point seems to be about as low as American-made creams will go, about 5-6 dollars or so.

I haven't tried Musgo Real but perhaps I will one of these days. I think 10 dollars for a tube is about the point where I won't buy, not unless it's a really big tube, or it is as addictive as cocaine or heroin. I'm too cheap.

Haha! Why are you always suggesting the terrific but hard to obtain Canadian products!!?:biggrin:

Not difficult, yet pricey for the shipping. Since we should have an outlet in the US I have a feeling there will be quite a bit of Frasers and Booster AS products sold. I was lucky enough to have a very gracious member here give me a sample of Frasers. Fortunately for me the sample was about 4 ozs. :biggrin:

I've not tried any of Colleen's creams, but if you ever want to try out some quality, nicely priced soaps, you can't go wrong with Colleen's The Gentleman's Quarter soaps.

I have 3 of Colleen's creams (used one today)

The Gentleman's Quarter Highlander
The Gentleman's Quarter Savon de Comte
The Gentleman's Quarter Desert Ironwood

They are highly recommended. They are based on a receipe from the early 1900's I think.
Her "shaving cream uses a small amount of kosher tallow in addition to our selection of quality vegetable oils and butters. "
It's performance is comparable to the old style creams IMHO.

I apologize in advance if this is dumb or insensitive, but if you're in the realm of moderately priced soaps/creams (including TOB, and for soaps Tabac, TOB, T&H, even DR Harris) don't you get at least many months of shaving for the $10-$17ish that you spend. Compared with cheap creams the annual savings may only be $20-30, no? (Disclaimer: I'm a newbie so if my calculation assumptions are off please let me know).

I realize budgets vary, but I say life's too short for cheap shaving soap/cream or cheap beer.

I will chime in here on the other side to if you can try to swing it even if you need to hold off for awhile some of the high end creams are worth the price of admission I would say Dr. Harris, Floris and Castle Forbes(esp. this one) and I know I am missing a couple but to me they are heads and heals above the rest including the T's. IMHO you will not regret it:001_tt1:

Let's not forget one thing. Value is perception. Can you get a great shave with a $1.00 puck of Williams? Yep! Can you get a great shave with a Trumper's soap in the wooden bowl (approx. $30)? Yep. Which is better? It depends on your perception of value. Money aside, which do you like better? I have a tub of Taylor's Lavender and a tub of AOS Lavender. I get great shaves from both. The shaves are probably equal in quality, yet I'll still replace my AOS tub because I prefer the scent. An item is worth what you are willing to pay for it. Just like the famous "195" Gillette. Does it shave better than a Fat Boy, or better than a Merkur HD? Probably not, but if you are willing to spend the bucks, it is the pride of ownership. Skirt steaks and ribeyes are both steaks. There is definitely a difference in quality. Depending upon how they are prepared. I love a good medium rare ribeye. Yet, I would never try it as a fajita! Quality is perception. It is all personal. You have to factor in "enjoyment" when you deal with personal items. And pride. I would never consider buying a Rolex watch (but I will accept any freebies from anyone who wants to donate), but I enjoy wearing my Movado, Seiko and Tourneau watches. Yet a Timex, in reality, is just as good a timepiece. Overall, there is very little difference in the cost of shaving items. You have to set your own budget. As men, we seldom pamper ourselves physically. Shaving is one opportunity where we have that option. How you choose to pamper yourself is up to you. Rather than buy every new thing that comes along, I have made the decision to buy the things that I truly want. And by doing so, I have made my shaves much more enjoyable. This decision has allowed me to save the funds to buy the new Merkur 38C, GFT shaving soaps in the wooden bowl, and a couple of Colognes. By focusing on what I really want rather than spending money "willy nilly", I enjoy my shaves much more. Now, if someone could figure out a way to get Plisson brushes for under $100...

Randy

I'm sure the high end shaving creams and soaps are great, and the price difference may not be that different when used over a year. However, some of us just find it harder to justify the costs of more expensive items in general. Some people can budget alot of money on just one passion. Some of us have alot of hobbies, and not alot of money, however, so we've got to choose wisely.

Now, to be more blunt... it doesn't cost alot of money for the raw ingredients to make a decent shaving cream or soap, at least in terms of the pure technical aspects. The raw ingredients are very inexpensive for the most part. I find it hard to believe there's anything in a 25 dollar cream that can't be supplied in a 8-12 dollar cream, except maybe for "natural essential oils" and other such stuff. But that's not important to the technical aspects of shaving, just aesthetics.

Let's not forget one thing. Value is perception. Can you get a great shave with a $1.00 puck of Williams? Yep! Can you get a great shave with a Trumper's soap in the wooden bowl (approx. $30)? Yep. Which is better? It depends on your perception of value. Money aside, which do you like better? I have a tub of Taylor's Lavender and a tub of AOS Lavender. I get great shaves from both. The shaves are probably equal in quality, yet I'll still replace my AOS tub because I prefer the scent. An item is worth what you are willing to pay for it. Just like the famous "195" Gillette. Does it shave better than a Fat Boy, or better than a Merkur HD? Probably not, but if you are willing to spend the bucks, it is the pride of ownership. Skirt steaks and ribeyes are both steaks. There is definitely a difference in quality. Depending upon how they are prepared. I love a good medium rare ribeye. Yet, I would never try it as a fajita! Quality is perception. It is all personal. You have to factor in "enjoyment" when you deal with personal items. And pride. I would never consider buying a Rolex watch (but I will accept any freebies from anyone who wants to donate), but I enjoy wearing my Movado, Seiko and Tourneau watches. Yet a Timex, in reality, is just as good a timepiece. Overall, there is very little difference in the cost of shaving items. You have to set your own budget. As men, we seldom pamper ourselves physically. Shaving is one opportunity where we have that option. How you choose to pamper yourself is up to you. Rather than buy every new thing that comes along, I have made the decision to buy the things that I truly want. And by doing so, I have made my shaves much more enjoyable. This decision has allowed me to save the funds to buy the new Merkur 38C, GFT shaving soaps in the wooden bowl, and a couple of Colognes. By focusing on what I really want rather than spending money "willy nilly", I enjoy my shaves much more. Now, if someone could figure out a way to get Plisson brushes for under $100...

Randy

Randy do you always have to make so much sense:001_tt2:

I find it hard to believe there's anything in a 25 dollar cream that can't be supplied in a 8-12 dollar cream, except maybe for "natural essential oils" and other such stuff. But that's not important to the technical aspects of shaving, just aesthetics.

It might not contribute to a better shaving medium, but a lot of us view creams and soaps as a full sensory experience. EO's have a great impact on this. You could definitely get by with less expensive creams, however you might find that some higher end ones just do it for you and are worth the additional cost. Then again, maybe not. I guess that is why YMMV.

Man, the other day I said I wanted to try D. R. Harris. Last night, I found it online for $17. It didn't even say how large it is.

Is that a reasonable price?

Tim

Man, the other day I said I wanted to try D. R. Harris. Last night, I found it online for $17. It didn't even say how large it is.

Is that a reasonable price?

Tim

Hey Tim, I would assume it is for the tube...2.6 ozs. The tub is 5.3 oz and runs around $30 usually.

LOL...and here I always thought TOBS was the "low-cost" alternative in luxury shaving creams. IMHO the Avocado & Rose is the bargain of bargain's.
I'd pay twice the current price & still be tickled pink with the products.

Thanks, I'll stick with Taylors (TOBS?)..I mean, I don't mind spending a little, but being a poor college student doesn't really help

Sandahl's lather shave cream. $6-$9 for a 16oz. tub I think. Pretty much scent free. The Elcetric Shaver shop, Weiss Barber Supply, and other barber supply places offer it.

Top Bottom