What's new

Less expensive alternative to DR Harris/Taylors?

The Taylors creams are almost the same price (~$13 for a 5.3 oz tub) versus $10 for a 5oz tube of proraso.

The Taylors creams are almost the same price (~$13 for a 5.3 oz tub) versus $10 for a 5oz tube of proraso.

I agree, however, be careful of the avocado. It has a unique scent that might not be for everyone. I enjoy the shaves, but the scent isn't for me.

Taylors is nice, but already covered.

Maybe give Mugo Real a try.

Are you sold on creams? There are quite a few sources for cheap, but high quality soaps.

Try the shaving creams from Colleen at the The Gentleman's Quarter. They are outstanding. You can email Colleen at [email protected]

I think her site is still under construction.

Jordan

I've not tried any of Colleen's creams, but if you ever want to try out some quality, nicely priced soaps, you can't go wrong with Colleen's The Gentleman's Quarter soaps.

Others have mentioned Taylor's creams, and I would have to agree totally. I have only used the Taylor's Lavender and Avocado, and loved both. They are not priced bad either.

Ack, none of it is easy to get. I guess I'll stick to Taylors..not THAT expensive as a tube of Proraso lasted me a year..

Anything as good besides Proraso in that price range?

If you can find it, try Ingrams, a UK brand that has a light menthol scent and lathers quite well, kind of a tuned-down Proraso.
European Palmolive is good, but equally difficult to find and may require extra shipping which drives the price up.

German brands Nivea and Florena (a brand that belongs to the same Beiersdorf group as Nivea, but is more aimed at discount stores) also make outstanding, fairly neutral shaving creams. Florena can be found in large discount drugstores, at least in Canada.

Anything as good besides Proraso in that price range?

This is a bit confusing. Taylor's is usually about half price of DR Harris creams. Kiss My Face and Tom's of Maine are certainly contenders if you are looking to save dollars. Proraso is certainly quite a bit less than Taylor's. T&H is definitely less expensive than DR Harris. I'm not sure what you are looking for.

Randy

Top Bottom