What's new

Les Latneuses Hybrid Side. How are you using it?

That edge is rally taken to the limit. Nice images in your link.
The last time i used my hybrid i tried to use a La Lune slurry stone. The JNAT tomo i have is too hard, and did not work well with the stone. Now i am considering getting some softer JNAT Tomo naguras to play with on the hybrid.

The La Lune slurry did speed up the stone, but i had better results just using it after a 10-12 synthetic stone.

I just feel these stones does have more versatility and potential then i have ben able to get out of them. I guess you have showed that in your post.

I will try some Shiro Suita as a nagura on the stone and see how it behaves. I try to avoid releasing too much grit from the base stone by using softer naguras.
I use the hybrid side of a les lat slurry stone to make a really watery slurry like I would on my kiita with tomo nagura. Mine will get VERY sharp like this. I dilute some but don't finish on water. I dilute as if I was using a soft thuringian, not all the way but just enough where it looks cloudy.

I agree, but it is also nice if they can find a spot where they shine and fit in.
The yellow side is good on it's own.
Agreed, the yellow side of mine is amazing. I've gotten to where I use it more for heavy work on tools than I do SiC or India stones. It will eat steel like nothing else.

Reactions: JPO
My les lat is quite interesting. The yellow side is uniformly chalky and creamy and VERY fast, but I cannot tell if it's fine or course as the texture is uniform throughout the whole surface but is very fast. It was probably the softest and fastest coticule I've ever lapped. The hybrid side is the hardest stone I've ever lapped and that includes the black arks I've owned and puts on the characteristic coticule edges that are as sharp as the edges I get off of the black ark, literally the best edges I've ever shaved with. I'm either going to keep my black ark as backup or sell it off.

My les lat is quite interesting. The yellow side is uniformly chalky and creamy and VERY fast, but I cannot tell if it's fine or course as the texture is uniform throughout the whole surface but is very fast. It was probably the softest and fastest coticule I've ever lapped. The hybrid side is the hardest stone I've ever lapped and that includes the black arks I've owned and puts on the characteristic coticule edges that are as sharp as the edges I get off of the black ark, literally the best edges I've ever shaved with. I'm either going to keep my black ark as backup or sell it off.
My yellow side behaves very similarly and is kind of depressing that it's so soft and wears so fast. It will put a very fine edge one my stone but it's not like the "signature" coticule edge where it feels like it can't cut you. I'd compare it more to the way a llyn idwal leaves an edge with "micro serrations". I have no visual proof of that because of don't have aa loupe or scope and my eyesight is pretty terrible but that what it feels like on my fingers and that's how the edges behave. 20 laps on the hybrid side and the edge is almost identical to an ark. You should test though because I like yellow side les lat>black ark much better than yellow side>hybrid side on razors. The yellow side>hybrid side is great for knives that you want shaving sharp. Mine wore about 1-2 mm in a year, I have a feeling I'm going to be spending money on the regularly in my life. Id like to have a fast one like that glued to an green thuringian or a white Tam O'shanter. That'd make a cool travel stone.

I'm tempted to finish on the hybrid side with water only and soapy water and then doing a few strokes on the surgical black ark with oil to see if that makes any difference.

I'm tempted to finish on the hybrid side with water only and soapy water and then doing a few strokes on the surgical black ark with oil to see if that makes any difference.
Can I ask if you have ever finished on the hybrid side with oil?

I started playing around with what to finish on after just plain water. Tried many including dish soap, vegetable glycerine and olive oil. For me a light layer of mineral oil just took the edge further than anything else.
Won’t the olive oil residue turn rancid at some point?

Top Bottom