What's new

Legendary Artist Prince Dead at 57

Here is a different take on the MJ/Prince interaction around Bad and in general http://www.salon.com/2016/04/22/pri...o_a_kind_of_a_superstar_way_of_saying_fk_you/

I sure cannot personally vouch for any of it!

It has some personal insight but no relevant reference or sources.

Prince actually never had any issues with Micheal Jackson, just an occasional friendly rivalry in constant competition to be the best. .. They hung out on many occasions.

The death of Michael Jackson (at one point another devout Jehovah’s Witness) was still fresh on everyone’s minds, and Prince admitted the two had talked about the challenges of mixing fame with a religious journey. He said that it was difficult for both of them, and he personally couldn’t have done it at a younger point in his life. He wished he could have talked to Michael more about it before Michael died.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/04/21/prince_s_rivalry_with_michael_jackson_excerpt_from_steven_hyden_s_your_favorite.html
Micheal Jackson famously paid Prince a visit while Prince worked on Under the Cherry Moon, his ill-fated cinematic follow-up toPurple Rain. Always a hospitable host, Prince invited Jackson to play ping-pong. “I don’t know how to play, but I’ll try,” Jackson replied.

http://www.damienshields.com/history20-michael-jacksons-secret-meeting-with-prince/

On July 14, 1994, Prince came to visit Michael in the early afternoon to discuss recording a song together. It was five years after the release of Prince and Madonna’s duet (“Love Song”), so he was probably more open to the idea. Michael and Prince had discussed doing a song before (the song “Bad”) but nothing had ever been recorded.On that day, Prince arrived with two huge bodyguards. The three of them walked right by me and into Michael’s lounge, which was the Studio 3 lounge at the Hit Factory at 421 West 54th Street in New York City. It was a private meeting, so I continued my work in Studio 4 – working on new music for HIStory.

Prince talked with Michael for a few hours before leaving. That night, Prince played a show at the Palladium at 126 East 14th Street, which held between 2500-3000 people.

http://www.drfunkenberry.com/2009/06/27/prince-michael-jackson-were-friends/

Michael Jackson even showed up to 2 Purple Rain shows backstage. Although Michael Jackson did want to work with Prince a few years later, Prince declined due to lyrical differences.

Michael Bland insisted they got along fine. "They'd shoot hoops at Paisley Park," Prince's studio/home in Chanhassen. "We used to get packages from MJJ Productions [with] footage of Sly Stone performing in Europe. Prince would pop it in the VCR, and we'd watch it."

Michael Jackson attend one of Prince's shows at 3121 Las Vegas in 2006 with Wil I Am of the Black Eyed Peas and Chris Tucker. Michael did not make the after show as planned where he was to be seated with Michael Jordan.
Recently, Prince has been performing Michael Jackson songs in his sets, "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough" and recently "Dancing Machine" by the Jackson 5

I was never a huge Prince fan, I respected his talent, saw him live more than once, but in general his style of music isn't my thing. I'm a guitar player, dig Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, etc. Prince won me over one night in the mid-80's. It was after a Billy Joel concert, a bunch of us stopped by a bar in Minneapolis to grab a drink before last call. Some below average house band was playing and Prince walk in with his entourage. This was pre-cell phones so the place went crazy but didn't get packed immediately like it would now. He hung out for a bit and waited until the band took a break. I saw him talk to the house band and ask if he could jam with them for a bit. Somebody borrowed him a guitar, and he just followed along with whatever the band wanted to play. Mostly Southern Rock. He never sang a note, never took over the stage, was very respectful of the band. After Prince got the guitar tuned and warmed up with a couple Skynerd tunes they fired up some old Molly Hatchett and Prince dove right in. He tore that place down, my lord that man could play a guitar. I've never seen anyone play a set like he did that night. Pure talent. That's my Prince memory, I still don't dig a lot of what he recorded, but his live shows were off the charts. Sad I'll never see another.

Interesting stuff. I wonder if the vault contains video of his shows as well as the purported 1000s of unreleased cuts. Not so much out there of his shows. I read it is difficult to get Sign O the Times these days. I think I have that on VHS somewhere.

MJ was certainly more delicate physically and emotionally. Prince famously dud not sleep and worked and performed constantly. Would not have expected him to go out like this!

I love it when a musician is a music fan themselves and is willing to venture outside of their usual element. Prince could have easily been a jazz musician. Prince plays Gershwin.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/steve.purcell.14/videos/10208003585861701/[/video]

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
From 79 to 2016.....

There were two reasons why I kind of hinted at the 60's and 70's as being the greatest years of rock. The first is from the 80's until now, there is very few great artists and bands. In the 60's and 70s they were all over the place. The second is that I didn't want to tie Prince to just one genre- he excelled in quite a few of them. I do wonder, however, how in the world I missed his performance of While My Guitar Gently Weeps at the RRHoF. I think George Harrison would have given him two thumbs up.

I love it when a musician is a music fan themselves and is willing to venture outside of their usual element. Prince could have easily been a jazz musician. Prince plays Gershwin.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/steve.purcell.14/videos/10208003585861701/[/video]
I Remember this one. ...sound check

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting stuff. I wonder if the vault contains video of his shows as well as the purported 1000s of unreleased cuts. Not so much out there of his shows. I read it is difficult to get Sign O the Times these days. I think I have that on VHS somewhere.

MJ was certainly more delicate physically and emotionally. Prince famously dud not sleep and worked and performed constantly. Would not have expected him to go out like this!
This is a great docu on the Vault

Last edited by a moderator:
There were two reasons why I kind of hinted at the 60's and 70's as being the greatest years of rock. The first is from the 80's until now, there is very few great artists and bands. In the 60's and 70s they were all over the place. The second is that I didn't want to tie Prince to just one genre- he excelled in quite a few of them. I do wonder, however, how in the world I missed his performance of While My Guitar Gently Weeps at the RRHoF. I think George Harrison would have given him two thumbs up.
Even though Prince never looked for approval, having George approval would have been awesome.

I was never a huge Prince fan, I respected his talent, saw him live more than once, but in general his style of music isn't my thing. I'm a guitar player, dig Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, etc. Prince won me over one night in the mid-80's. It was after a Billy Joel concert, a bunch of us stopped by a bar in Minneapolis to grab a drink before last call. Some below average house band was playing and Prince walk in with his entourage. This was pre-cell phones so the place went crazy but didn't get packed immediately like it would now. He hung out for a bit and waited until the band took a break. I saw him talk to the house band and ask if he could jam with them for a bit. Somebody borrowed him a guitar, and he just followed along with whatever the band wanted to play. Mostly Southern Rock. He never sang a note, never took over the stage, was very respectful of the band. After Prince got the guitar tuned and warmed up with a couple Skynerd tunes they fired up some old Molly Hatchett and Prince dove right in. He tore that place down, my lord that man could play a guitar. I've never seen anyone play a set like he did that night. Pure talent. That's my Prince memory, I still don't dig a lot of what he recorded, but his live shows were off the charts. Sad I'll never see another.
He is regarded as the pioneer of Minneapolis sound; his music integrates a wide variety of styles, including funk, rock, R&B, soul, psychedelia and pop.

He was born to entertain and amuse us, and he died doing what he loved.

+1 on this. That guy could shred a guitar! Alot of people don't realize just how good he was.

I was a big fan, "Purple Rain" came out when I was a senior in high school. I went to see Sheena Easton in concert a couple years later, and was surprised when Prince took the stage and performed a few songs. I haven't listened to him much in recent years, but still listen to the Purple Rain soundtrack from time to time.

I saw a piece on the news yesterday about Prince's good works, which apparently his faith prevented him from making public. There were many charities and community organizations that benefited hugely from his anonymous or otherwise fronted support. A remarkable man, and an awful loss in so many ways.

Yes, he was born again several years ago. He bought grocery's at the local Byerlys grocery store from time to time. He shopped at the local Walgreens drug store. Prince did...not an employee.

I liked the way the Carver County Sheriff started his press conference the other day. "To the world Prince Rogers Nelson was a superstar. To us, he is a community member and a good neighbor. In life, he was a very private person. We are going to continue to respect his privacy and his dignity and hope that you do as well.”

prince was indeed great artist.
cannot grasp the drug issue however.

The (untold) story is that he had hip(s) problems which had advanced to the degree that he should have had hip replacement surgery. His Jehovah Witness faith supposedly precluded him from having a blood transfusion which would have been necessary for the surgery so he was taking pain killers instead.

I had a laugh today, as I watched the Dave Chappelle skit about Eddie and Charlie Murphy, meeting Prince in a club around 1985, and then mercilessly beat Charlie's crew in a pickup basketball game at Prince's house. Then politely serving them all pancakes, after the game. Best of all this really happened! Prince verified the story on several radio interviews, and apparently enjoyed the skit so much he used Chappelle's image as Prince for an album cover.... Classic.

Top Bottom