What's new

Leather Flight jackets....

I have been browsing this subforum and was surprised not finding any references to these classics...

This weekend I was visiting my brother and he gave me an Eastman A2, he has other styles, but this is simply...perfect:

proxy.php

Any other fans here of these beauties?

Regards

I use an American style shortened flyinh jacket for the football etc. I had mine made, because no one could do one that ftted me properly..... I wanted the ginger (British) style as I prefer it, but had to settle for white in the end.... :-(

TYPE B-3 IIRC; http://www.olive-drab.com/images/patton3starleatherjacket_375.jpg

I have had compliments all over on it, it's so much better than the majority you see (should be, I only have one arm left to fit in it, and have to hop everywhere).....

Great bits of utilitarian clothing, I love mine, it's warm cool, and very soft :D

Tom

Probably the best ones made are by Gibson and Barnes. They make jackets to order and the jackets are made using the original specs and they even sell original replica patches. The prices match the quality.

Weak spot on these and other flight jackets is the "knitted" cuffs. Wearing a watch is enough to cause them to unravel. I know I need to get those on my Navy flight jacket re-cuffed; just don't know where to go now.

I prefer the G2 versions the navy and marine flyers wore, but my all time fave is the RAF jacket. Those Spits didn't have heaters worth a damn, apparently.

I have a Cooper modified A2. Mine has side entry pockets. I also opted for Cow hide over horse or goat. Its about 10 years old and soft as the day it was new. It is actually the 3rd Cooper jacket I have owned, apparently I have grown some since I started flying and buying good leather coats.

Eastman makes the best/most authentic ww2 "bomber jackets" But I really like having the side entry pockets under the traditional top flap pockets.

One problem with these jackets is if you get a authentic, made from WW2 era patterns You will have to order many sizes larger than you normally wear Since standards for L,XL,XXL have changed considerably since the early 40's

Last edited:
Probably the best ones made are by Gibson and Barnes. They make jackets to order and the jackets are made using the original specs and they even sell original replica patches. The prices match the quality.

+1 here.....I love my GB A2 Civil...I enjoy the handwarmer pockets...check out the clearance items and even call them...I got mine for a song because it had tiny (i mean tiny, too) holes where a patch was...great service..

Weak spot on these and other flight jackets is the "knitted" cuffs. Wearing a watch is enough to cause them to unravel. I know I need to get those on my Navy flight jacket re-cuffed; just don't know where to go now.

I believe GB will do your sleeves...check out thier website.

This thread reminds me a story my dad told me numerous times. I think he never 'got over it'.

When he was discharged after WWII ended, he and the others in the same bomber group had to place their leather flight jackets in a pile. The pile was then covered in kerosene and torched. It was leather, lined in what looks like lambswool.

Years later he still missed his jacket. Over the years he had several leather jackets in different styles. When I'd compliment him on his newest one; he'd say "did I ever tell you about" ? He never forgot it.
Sue

Thanks for the suggestion, Mark. I emailed GB a few minutes ago, then googled flight jacket repairs. Found a number of places that do cuffs and waistbands.

I HAD a B-3 sheepskin bomber jacket in the "classic" style; reinforced leather sleeves and a map pocket with the painted on insignia on the sleeve. I bought it back in the 80's, and it was an expensive purchase then, but I loved it. It was one of the warmest jackets I've ever had. I was a lot thinner in the 80's, and I just grew out of it. I "willed" it to my girlfriend's father.

If you all are interested, go to www.uswings.com. I think this is the same company that produced my B-3 reproduction. They have a lot of other styles available.

Don

My opinion:

The best WWII jackets I've seen were made by Avirex. There flight jacket operation was bought out by Cockpit USA.

I feel very fortunate because my new employer, a military contractor, decided that I and the other helicopter instructor pilots with whom I work needed to look very professional but distinctive from the Army pilots with whom we work. Thus, they issue us each a Cockpit USA A-2.

View attachment 87916

My opinion:

The best WWII jackets I've seen were made by Avirex. There flight jacket operation was bought out by Cockpit USA.

I feel very fortunate because my new employer, a military contractor, decided that I and the other helicopter instructor pilots with whom I work needed to look very professional but distinctive from the Army pilots with whom we work. Thus, they issue us each a Cockpit USA A-2.

Cockpit USA!!! That's the place I meant! Thanks for helping me out with the brain vapor lock I was having!

Don

This thread reminds me a story my dad told me numerous times. I think he never 'got over it'.

When he was discharged after WWII ended, he and the others in the same bomber group had to place their leather flight jackets in a pile. The pile was then covered in kerosene and torched. It was leather, lined in what looks like lambswool.

Years later he still missed his jacket. Over the years he had several leather jackets in different styles. When I'd compliment him on his newest one; he'd say "did I ever tell you about" ? He never forgot it.
Sue

Nice story Sue--I'm sure that he never did get over it. Too bad they burned the jackets--wonder why they did it? Doesn't seem to make any sense.

Nice story Sue--I'm sure that he never did get over it. Too bad they burned the jackets--wonder why they did it? Doesn't seem to make any sense.

I don't know, I don't think dad knew why either. What is the policy of keeping any government issue items when discharged? In any case, burning doesn't seem necessary.
Sue

I actually have 2 GB jackets. An A-2 and a French Airforce jacket. They makes their jackets using the same materials and same grade of brass and all and leather and other components as originally specified right down to the tiniest details so even stuff like snaps are not painted dark they are treated with the same process as the original. My A-2 has the same woven silk lining as the original specs. They do alot of repair work on the original WWll jackets. They even have a historian on staff to research all their designs and patches. Their jackets though are sized for modern times and are very generous however they can be modified or made to order since they make them right there.Their main business is producing flight suits for flight crews.

I've had several jackets in this style and I always get rid of them in the end cause they emphasise the fact that I'm quite short and "thick of trunk". The really anoying thing is that I know I'm not overweight enough for it to be an issue with anyone but me. When I wear this style although everyone else assures me I look fine, I can't help feeling aware of my stomach, which used to be flat as a board and is now just a little middle-aged. Other kinds of jacket are fine...I tried on a Viviene Westwood jakcet the other week which made me look like a star rugby player-totally square, staight-backed and imposing. Mind you,a t $1,500 I think that's almost to be expected. But I'd still love a genuine bomber jacket. Its such a shame.

Top Bottom